RotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito control

Banned

Mosquito control

I live on 18 acres of woods which used to be a rock quarry abandoned 60 years ago or so. As such, when we get heavy rains in Spring like the last two years there are several places on my property where there are fairly large areas of standing water for a while. Needless to say, the mosquitos were unbelieveable the past two years.

It's dry so far this year, but just in case, has anyone used something like these in outdoor fish ponds and such?

https://www.chewy.com/summit-mosquit...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I kind of figured on walking around looking for big puddles and dropping a few in each. Ads say they are absolutely safe to other life, which is what I want. We're also on a well out here so don't want anything that would contaminate that. Is there a better product than these?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    IIRC there are some fish that specialize in eating mosquito larvae? That should do though

Boolit Master
    I don't know if those work or not.....when I was a kid and DDT and such were legal I worked at a camp that had many pothole lakes and ponds.....most were fishless. We used to go throw gelatin capsules of some chemical into each one. It killed mosquito larva. It was not harmful to other wildlife, but I'm not sure about other insect larva. They looked like small "Tide Pods" green in color. They were effective. A few days after being swarmed with mosquitoes as you approached the ponds it would be relatively pleasant.

They probably contained a substance that has since been outlawed.....they dissolved and you could see an oily film forming.

Boolit Master

Been using them in our vernal pools they do help.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    This is a good time of year to build some bat houses. They eat LOTS of skeeters!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Half acre of my back yard is wooded. In 2016 we had a wet Spring and a big black mosquito that we had never seen before appeared on a foul wind. We have lived here since 2000. I had purchased one quart of 36% Permethrin online approximately $23.00. The recommended mixture is 1% permethrin. Found that it killed fire ants by pushing the nozzle into the ant nest as deep as it would go while spraying straight stream. Then spray on top of the ground. They don't come back to rebuild in that nest. Then as you went into the woods the mosquitos attacked . I sprayed the woods with a favorable breeze as I backed out. Then sprayed under the rabbit pens, in the garden, then the back yard, and around the house flower areas. A few days
    passed and the mosquitos were gone. You can buy the insecticide at local stores but it is more expensive in like 4 ounces. But some stock the large size at a better price.

Used permethrin 1% to saturate my hunting clothes and let dry completely before wearing. We used to get seed ticks, big ticks, chiggers, etc. hunting near Harlingen Texas and we used a lot of insectcides (Sargents ) which has permethrin. The Military developed this stuff during World War 11. The clothing was treated before issued to troops. I read that somewhere.

Bought 30 ounces Mosquito Dunks small chip size on EBay $19.99 free shipping.

Boolit Master
    I have been using them on my land for the last three years. I think they help. Your local town might give you a few packs for free. Mine does. I just need to go ask.

I know our Skeeter Control folks will come help if asked, especially for standing water. I use Bifen IT concentrate , does a great job, it is harmful to fish tho.

Boolit Master
    We haven't used any of the pesticides but have put up bat and purple martin houses at the farm and hunt club. You may be on their migration routes.

Boolit Master
    Bacillus thuringiensis. You can get it usually from your local agricultural center it’s a bacteria that you put in the water the kills the mosquito larva and doesn’t harm anything else. Plus one on the bat houses
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I got some water from a friend's pond that contained several dragonfly nymphs. and put them in my non-functional above ground pool (before I drained and dismantled it) they eat their own weight
    in Mosquito Larva several times a day.

You can get this in bulk granular form too. I use it in small ponds of standing water around our trailer/camper during Spring/Summer. Works great. It lasts about 3 months per application. Don't know what you would use for large ponds. The swamp areas I treat are maybe 30'x 20'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Grand Master

Or Martin Houses other wise here 6 inches of snow has been working well.

Banned

There are a few places that will have standing water in them for a good while after a big rain. I'm pretty sure that is the problem. I dislike the idea of poisons of any kind, and permethrin is an arachnid poison, works on ticks, spiders and scoprions, doesn't do much for flying insects.

What I wonder about is these little toads (spadefoot I think) used to be everywhere around here and I'm told consume a third of their body weight in insects every day. Hardly ever see them anymore.

If these things kill mosquito larvae and don't hurt birds, tadpoles and such, I'm gonna try them.

Boolit Master

I don't know if they hurt anything else or not but the company that Clarksville contracts with will fog an area then throw those into the puddles of standing water. Seems to be effective, mosquitos take a few weeks to reclaim the area after a treatment.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    One of the best is the mosquito traps that use propane, an attractor, and then vacuums them into a container. Just make sure it's between you and the main source of the mosquitos! I use permethrin to treat my clothes and a mosquito, or deer fly won't even land on you, not to mention ticks and spiders! Most camping gear is treated with it and you aren't even aware it's there. It works!
    I have a real live Cyprus swamp in my backyard and they are awful in the summer and fall. They will run you out of the garden at dusk, just awful! I've also found the mosquito coils and sticks work well IF they are lit well before dark and allowed to burn an hour or so before darkness. I think it messes with there ability to find you, so they move else were sniffing the air.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if there still available but my uncle had a mosquito magnet it was pricey but it did do a serious job on mosquitos,the area was a heavily wooded in Maine. Took a couple of weeks to work but after that you could sit outside without being eaten alive

I've used them on job sites as well as in the bird baths, worked well. You would have to check if they were cost effective for the area you have.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast