Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redhawk not hitting primer properly

Push harder & seat the primer to the bottom of the pocket. A flush primer is probably too high. 1st strike seats it, 2nd strike fries it. I seriously doubt your new Redhawk needs a new spring.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

44blam, let us know what rectifies the problem. My vote is for the spring but that is because I had the exact same situation with a reduced power spring. Keep us posted as to what solves this.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

As mentioned earlier- call RUGER.
    But first make sure you have experienced problem with factory loaded ammo. If just with your reloads, then I wouldn’t bother them.
    They made it, they have all the resources to make it right.
    Last edited by Catpop; 03-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    "I bought it from an estate sale. It had a 1-6x scope..."
    It sounds like another sharpshootin hoofty gunsmith clipped another spring. Ruger will likely fix it free and most lkely right even if they get tired of it. Like the other guy said - make it fail with factory ammo.

Well, turns out it was just cruddy around the transfer bar/firing pin. I took most of it apart and gave it a solid cleaning and got everything all nice and shiny.

I fired the rest of the rounds I had problems with (64 rounds) plus some factory and few of my hot loads. I had no misfires.

So, I think it was just too much gunk in the works...

Boolit Master
    I'm glad that turned out to be a simple fix. I will warn you from my experience not to try a lighter main spring. You can polish the works and that will help a lot but leave the main spring as is.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Good job 44blam. Nice to have a fix that is a non-factory issue.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I had three rounds that didn't go off and I went ahead and struck the primer again on two of them and they went off. But the initial dent was light and the second dent was proper. I'm going to do a nice clean job on it and then take it to the range.
    Previously, I have never had a shot that failed to go bang but I don't tend to shoot it double action all that much. I tend to reach up with my support hand to cock the hammer as I tend to be a little more accurate and faster that way.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help!
    If you still have some of those reloads left pick through them and set aside the flush ones. Test those against the others.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back when I was an aspiring gun mechanic, I must have "fixed" two dozen firearms whose problem was nothing more than dirt or dried oil (or WD 40--don't get me started). Every time I read someone say "I seldom--or never-- clean my guns" I just figure there goes a guy who likes his gunsmith. At 65 to 120 dollars an hour for shop time, paying to have someone else clean a gun gets expensive.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12