RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Today's shooting fun in Maine

Boolit Master

Today's shooting fun in Maine

Today 9 of us went to our local pistol range and set up in the snow. We were luck to have wonderful weather. The day started out around 30 degrees with no wind. We had set approximately 15 targets out at different distances. The closet one was 15 yards for speed shooting and the triple one on the fat right is 66 yards with a 4.5", 5.75" and 7" steel plates. It felt good to get out and pull the trigger for a few hours. Here is a photo of the targets.
    Anybody else doing any winter shooting?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180311_092404-PANO.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	216232
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Looks like a lot of fun. Congrats. I am hoping the Monday night snow storm will miss us so the range here will clean up a bit.

Boolit Master

I shoot all winter long!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun. Congrats. I am hoping the Monday night snow storm will miss us so the range here will clean up a bit.
    I hope you get your storm miss. It looks like we're going for another double digit round Tuesday into Wednesday then hopefully after that things start to turn towards spring.

Boolit Master
    Im with ya on lets go spring. Well first we have mudd season. I think you guys do to. Then spring.

Boolit Master
    Nice! Always better to be out shooting with your buddies or family, IMO!

I shoot mostly by myself in the Winter. Everyone else seems to be a bit wimpy about it..LOL

Good to see folks out there!

Thanks for sharing!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Nice! Always better to be out shooting with your buddies or family, IMO!

I shoot mostly by myself in the Winter. Everyone else seems to be a bit wimpy about it..LOL

Good to see folks out there!

Thanks for sharing!
    JBinMn, I rode my motorcycle through your area a few years ago on my way to Sturgis. I hope to do that trip again sometime.
    Seems funny how thin the shooters get when the cold sets in. Usually just 2 or 3 of us for much below 20 compaired to 8-10 when it's warmer. That being said we're lucky to have such a good group of like minded gentleman to shoot with.

I had been planning on shooting today for weeks but unfortunately we got a few snow showers here. I'm a little south of you in Auburn, Maine.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master
    I get to cheat the weather all winter long at an indoor range. Not really a brave decision, but it sure is comfortable being away from the outside weather.

jeepyj and OuterRondacker...I'm right between you both...I hope this storm coming is the last of it too. I want to get to the range myself and just blast away. I got a whole case (10 bricks) of 22LR that's been calling to me. Besides...when the weather breaks I hope to dig out the charcoal maker and start working on making a batch for BP. Gonna dig out the old Smoke Pole too. Come on Spring!!!!

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    JBinMn, I rode my motorcycle through your area a few years ago on my way to Sturgis. I hope to do that trip again sometime.
    Seems funny how thin the shooters get when the cold sets in. Usually just 2 or 3 of us for much below 20 compaired to 8-10 when it's warmer. That being said we're lucky to have such a good group of like minded gentleman to shoot with.
    I hope you enjoyed your trip thru this area. It can be beautiful.

Yes, it seems as though once the weather turns colder than 20F, it is hard to get folks enthused about going outside & shooting hereabouts as well. So, Like I said, it is good to read/hear about others getting out & having a bit of fun shooting.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I can shoot all winter, since it is not really bad most of the time. I just don't go when it gets cold. I have shot a lot this winter and spring.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I shoot all winter long!
    In my shorts and boat shoes.

Boolit Master
    I shoot winter as well, just not as often, and not for as long at a time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Im with ya on lets go spring. Well first we have mudd season. I think you guys do to. Then spring.
    Mud season, years ago I wondered what the heck "MUD LOCKS" where. First spring trip up there taught me well!

As far as winter shooting, heck YEAH! I even have a kerosene heater I take if it's real cold.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

I've been shooting about every other week. I prefer to shoot outside but a few times I've used the club's indoor range. Week days I'm likely to be the only one there.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    I've been shooting about every other week. I prefer to shoot outside but a few times I've used the club's indoor range. Week days I'm likely to be the only one there.
    I hear you about the week days. I go four to five times a week in the winter. I use the outdoor range unless there has been a fresh snow or is raining. I might just skip today as my mouth is still killing me and its snowing again.

I would rather shot steel then paper and the indoor does not let you shoot anything other then paper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Mud season, years ago I wondered what the heck "MUD LOCKS" where. First spring trip up there taught me well!

As far as winter shooting, heck YEAH! I even have a kerosene heater I take if it's real cold.
    Merlin101, I have some thoughts on a more portable heat source but as you can see in the background we do try to have something to keep the frost off the hands

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180114_082109.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	216324

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    I had been planning on shooting today for weeks but unfortunately we got a few snow showers here. I'm a little south of you in Auburn, Maine.
    380AUTO, Is there a few castboolits members in your area or are you a Lone Wolf? In my circle there is about 4 or 5 casters but most all of rest reload.