MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dillon users, do you have an answer for Lee 38 S&W insert to expand 9mm cases?

Boolit Master

Dillon users, do you have an answer for Lee 38 S&W insert to expand 9mm cases?

I left this post in the original thread here where the insert in the Lee 9mm powder through expander die was placed with a 38 S&W insert to open the case up "deeper" to avoid the case swagging down the boolit diameter...

....I have used the Lee 38 S&W insert with the Lee 9mm expander die in my turret press with great results. I just acquired a Dillon 550B. Is Dillon or anyone else making a Dillon compatible powder funnel (expander) with the Lee 38 S&W profile for Dillon powder dumpers? I really wanted to set-up my 550B for 9mm and retain the auto powder dumper, but it might have to set it up for 45ACP (order conversion kit and things for large primers). I haven't tried the supplied 9mm funnel with it, but it looks like it is longer than the Lee 9mm expander but not the .3" length of the 38 S&W....

The Dillon funnel (expander) looks to reach about .15" into the case, so I think I will be back to having the case swag down the boolit diameter. I size to .358 for my XDM. I saw some Dillon guys in the original thread, but they didn't seem to have the answer I seek. Any Dillon guys tackle a modification like this yet? It looks like it could be as easy as machining the furnished funnel...not that that would be easy for me. This Dillon is set-up for 9mm, I shoot more 9mm than 45ACP, so I really would like this to work for 9mm.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    OK, I should have spend a little time before posting. The first thread I read after posting "Researching progressive press options" has Adam20, wv109323 and ILcoyotehunter telling me to find lathesmith or other commercial vends here doing what I need. I have been away for a long time and need to get caught on things!! This site is a wealth of information and experiences from folks that have "been there and done that". Thanks!

The Dillon 9mm expander is deeper than the diameter on the SD, 550 and 650 powder funnels.

Like the one in the photo on the left here.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/powd..._49_25279.html

Lots deeper than the Lee 9mm powder die.

Boolit Master
    Last update....found Lathesmith in the vender section, there is even a thread on exactly what I need!!!! Thanks again!!

Boolit Master
    The funnel I need should look like the one in the jmorris post from Dillon's site, the one I have with my Dillon is only about half the length going into the case.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought I read a post from a dillon rep saying they had a powder funnel that was similar to the M die, but I could just be wrong

Boolit Master
    One other thing to look at is the sizing die and what the ID of the case is after full length sizing. I had one die that was leaving the case with .350" ID, this had a lot to do with the bullet being swagged after loading.

Boolit Master
    When Lathesmith made my 9mm funnel, I sent him the 38SW funnel and my stock 9mm funnel. I wanted the reach of the 38 plug on that funnel, but needed its body to be the length of the 9mm and wide enough to seat the cast boolit I was using. Works perfectly, but with it being wider, I wipe a dab of oil on the plug to keep things from getting sticky.