MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 45 Cowboy Special in .454 Casull

Boolit Buddy

45 Cowboy Special in .454 Casull

I was looking for some low power/cost loads for my taurus raging judge and came across some cases from starline labeled "45 Cowboy Special". They're supposed to be a 45ACP length case with a rim, but with a thinner rim than the 45 Auto rim. Googling didn't have much info on this case in the .454, just the 45LC.

Has anybody tried these cases in a .454? or better yet, a Raging Judge? Am I asking for trouble trying these cases with 45 ACP load data in the Judge?

Boolit Master
    These are the 45 Govt. revolver cases used by the Army when both the Schofield and 45 (Long) Colt were in use. The Sxhofield chamber was shorter to skirt the Colt patent. The "45 Cowboy Special" moniker is because of their use in CAS/SASS where reduced loads are used.

You should use .452 j bullets and . 454 cast in your loadings. 45 ACP data, as well as 45 LC start data will be fine. A case full to touching the bullet base, but not at all compressed, of Trail Boss will do you nicely. Accuracy is unlikely, given the amount of gap these cases will deliver, like 2/5". Or use 250 grs LC boolits and Casull cases full, but not at all compressed, of TB and enjoy both low recoil and accuracy.

Actually, they are shorter than the Schofield round, and are basically a rimmed 45ACP. They will chamber and fire just fine, but the six foot bullet jump will play hell with accuracy. Why not just download some .454 cases? The Cowboy Special round seems like a solution to a non existent problem, to me.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banner Sponsor

Yes, the 45 Cowboy Special is a 45acp case with a 45 colt rim. You can just use 45acp load data.
    The case was developed to use in 45 lever guns to use less powder and get more rounds in the tube magazine.

Boolit Buddy
    scattershot: I'm looking for some accurate "bunny fart" loads, but I'm worried about having too much empty case space and getting a "kaboom!". I was thinking the short case would reduce the chance of that happening. I'm familiar with the theory, but I dont have enough experience to give it a try. I was hoping someone here had tried it. besides, it would be fun to have another (odd) case that I could stuff into my Judge.

The 45LC in my gun still feels like a plinking load, but why burn all that powder?

Boolit Master
    looking for some accurate "bunny fart" loads
    Shooting super short cases in long chambers isn't usually a recipe for accuracy, but it doesn't hurt to try. There are powders that will allow reduced loads in 454 cases without any worries of a "kaboom". Any load manual should provide options.

Boolit Master
    Why not use Trail Boss in 45 Colt cases or Speer had/has loads using 454 round balls under a charge of various shotgun powders.