WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .25acp Beretta Model question

Moderator Emeritus

.25acp Beretta Model question

I went to a gunshow this morning where a .25acp Beretta pistol found a new (me ) owner. Here'a my question, which may be important when I register it next week: Seller lists it as a "Model 1939 Beretta semi-auto 2" barrel" on receipt. I, upon getting home, Googled "model 1939" to read about my new treasure -- finding ZERO reference to it. Going "back-wards", it appears I may have a Model 418 with a 2 1/2" barrel??? It has similar markings to thew Model 1934 vis made in Gardone, Kingdom of Italy, etc. On the slide and frame (starboard side) is imprinted its serial number, in the six hundred thousand range -- again, making me think it's a Model 418 from the 1930s??
    I'm hoping someone on this site either may have knowledge of Beretta 25acp's -- possibly even owning one, and may help me out.
    Thank you in advance!
    geo

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Photos would sure help!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

Photos indeed would help -- but, I cannot pick up pistol til I get it registered; never gave it a thought re possible model # snafu, or I could have snapped a few pix with my iPhone. The seller & pistol are now >130 miles away... Sorry.
    geo

Does it look like THIS? 418 is a solid little gun.

Attachment 216230
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Bluebook of gun values indicates that it may be a model 318, based on the
    serial number range. The 418 is "similar to Model 318, but with loaded chamber indicator and grip safety (early type is semi-circular, late type is curved)," copied from bluebook. The 318 was also
    manufactured in the 1930s which might explain why the seller called it a
    model of 1939. I hope this helps.

Moderator Emeritus

OUTPOST75 -- Yes, indeed, it looks almost like your photo, except I think the number is 1936, as opposed to the 1941 on yours. The serial number -- 629,xxx appears both on the frame, as well as slide, on starboard ("right") side of my new purchase.
    eljefe -- I'm about to Google the "418"... may be lucky?

To both -- thanks -- with fresh snow on ground, I imagine seller has had/is having a challenge returning to his home. The more I think on it, I may telephone him tomorrow and hopefully get my concerns that I may register this pistol on my permit with serial number -- and nothing else -- correct. Does anyone know if Beretta made a .25acp with an even two-inch barrel?

Thanks!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 03-11-2018 at 08:05 PM.

I was doing a little more reading and think it is a 418.
    It sure is a cool little gun. On another site, a poster
    indicated that he got a factory letter from beretta calling
    his a 418. It has an earlier serial number than your gun.

Moderator Emeritus

eljefe -- thanks again! Yes, the seller bought "a bunch" of firearms from an elderly gent who is moving down south to enjoy his retirement away from snow and cold, and elected to convert some (or all?) of his firearms into cash. He told seller this pistol came to America after the war on a 194? Liberty Ship, in the the sea-bag of his great uncle. That's all the "history" known, but imho this surely adds to its "neatness"! The leather holster is in amazingly great shape -- just a tad dry, which Neats-foot oil will hopefully remedy -- for its age as well. I've never been a fan of "widow-makers"/.25acp pocket pistols -- but for this gem I'm happy to have changed my thinking .
    geo

The Beretta pistols of that era are well engineered, simple, well made and reliable. I have several M1934 and M1935s in 9mm Corto (.380 ACP) and 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP) which are sturdy, reliable and accurate, having fewer parts than a Colt M1911.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

Marshall -- While I pray there is no credence to your query vis registration as perhaps a database for "eventual confiscation", it has more than become clear that firearms neither are always in the hands of responsible persons, nor are immune from both being stolen and used for not-so-good things, ranging from intimidation to theft to even murders. Along the time-line of this wonderful country, folks WE (actually, our forefathers) elected put laws in to effect to track the whereabouts of them. Similar to the registration of motor vehicles. And, as vehicle registration enables return/notification/identity of recorded owner, similar is for -- in my state -- handguns. I was quite surprised way back in the early 1970's when I learned the .45 revolver I had just purchased was someone elses' which had been stolen. (Sadly, I got but a receipt and lost the revolver as well as $$$ I gave for it) There is "more purpose" than your suggested one -- which I believe most all pray will NOT happen in the foreseeable future.
    geo

George, I am so sorry for you; your compass is off several degrees.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    George, I am so sorry for you; your compass is off several degrees.
    "Variation" and "deviation" is what the Compass error is called in Aviation and Marine circles.
    Chuckling,
    Chev. William

Mr Kahn lives in Upstate New York. He has to deal with a few more regs than some of us.
    I love Beretta .25 autos- I'm constantly looking for a good deal on one! You got a nice one, George!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Upstate NY is different from the Big Apple, but gun owners still have to put up with regs passed by Albany.

Pretty country once you get away from the city, but state politics are dominated by the big population centers, which is a shame.

That's why I live in a Constitutional Carry state and live far out of town where I can shoot out of my windows...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I would love to have one in good ol 32 acp, I have always liked that caliber..... but for any other pistol calibers, go up about a tenth of an inch or more, lol. I shot a 25 acp once ( don't remember what kind) I DO remember being surprised at just how dang loud it was! good score on the gun, OP! have fun!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your understanding, and kind words, Texas by God! Where I reside there have been NO CC pistol permits granted in over three years! One county judge actually boasts how gun owners need be the best citizens, as even for the teeniest of infractions -- their guns are gone! I'm not going to embellish re my thoughts vis registration, etc -- this thread was started by me solely in the hopes of getting a bit of info on what appears to be a great addition to my wee collection. I once had a 22lr tiny automatic -- ?Exsam? -- which was traded with no tears at a time I was rather short of funds for various reasons -- mostly, ill son -- and when I spied this at show, it cried out "buy me!" How could I refuse? Assuming I do not try to chop off part of a finger trying to reload this diminutive cartridge -- reloading the .25acp seems like a fun addition to shooting it!

I wish to thank all who positively replied -- I'm of the notion that it is a Model 418 as opposed to the "1939" seller wrote on receipt. And, endeavoring to be a 101% honest, law-abiding chap, I will pay the $3.00 upon driving to the county seat and having my pistol permits amended to include this firearm. NO editorializing -- it's the way it is; no options here.

Thanks again -- can't wait to get it in my hands and see if I can hit a barn wall at ten feet with bullets from it!
    geo

Boolit Master
    You might find that it is surprisingly accurate for a small pistol.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Regarding .25 ACP accuracy I have head shot bowling pins with a Beretta Jetfire and head shot a squirrel with a Raven MP25 at twenty odd feet. I had a Galesi that would put its whole magazine in an inch @ ten feet. They are suprising little critters. You are welcome, George- keep us posted on the new "noseblower"- as we call the .25's!
    100% with you, Outpost.

Boolit Master
    Does it have an extractor? Or put another way how does one get a chambered round out of it if desired to do so?

Moderator Emeritus

PB234 & Texas by God -- First, re extractor -- good question -- I checked out Gun Parts Corp and they show an extractor for this pistolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	beretta 418  ext.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	216316 which I attached to this -- so I assume rounds may readily be removed other than only by shooting. God willing, I will be taking physical possession of my new toy on Saturday or Sunday -- and, I'll endeavor to then take and post a photo of it. From Texas by God's shooting testimony -- I'm excited to attempt determining the accuracy potential it has. The dealer -- also in his years -- made an interesting note in the forty years or so he's been dealing "guns", almost all the .22 and .25 pocket pistols he's had appear to have been carried a lot, while shot ever so little. He added, too, that he believes this very model was the very first pistol used by James Bond in the early 007 movies, before it was replaced by the Walther PPK. Thank you... I'll post a photo, and if the Desolation Dust (e.g., snow) doesn't continue to prohibit driving to shooting area at range -- I may even hope to try a few magazines... geo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast