MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semi-auto hunting rifles

It's been awhile but I use to take a Rem 8, 35cal to Ontario Spring Bear hunting and nothing was
    said about it at the border where you have to declare your rifles. They shutt down Spring Bear for
    a few years in Ontario and I haven't been back except to fish, they may have new laws there since.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Yea, I'm a "do not infringe" fella, but on opening morning of deer season you hear (dashes are seconds) -----boom----boom-- boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom------------ boom boom. Then folks wonder why semi autos are frowned on for hunting even among many American hunters? Yep, I love to hear some fella 200 yards from me with an AR10 do a mag dump, change mags, and fire off a couple more rounds while he's going over the ridge, don't you?
    Don't tell me you've never heard this?

I was always told that those early morning before daylight shots were from people learning again which way the safety worked!Robert

When I hunt with an AR I use a ten rd mag. I will never need more ammo than that on a hunt. My state has no restrictions on mag capacity but I'm too lazy to carry more.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately most countries ban semi-automatic anything for their subjects. Then some countries have rules to ban their use for dangerous game hunting too.

Boolit Master
    If the great ivory hunters in Africa had semiautomatic rifles available. They would have jumped at the chance to use them. Especially larger caliber versions. But nowadays everyone seems to be against them. I do use one for pig hunting and it has worked well for me. But when hunting big game, it may be overkill. When I did a lot of deer hunting, I basically needed three rounds to ensure my rifle was working and sighted in and one round for the deer. So I used four rounds a year. A box of twenty lasted several years like that. Most of my shooting was rabbits using a 22 lr or bird hunting with a shotgun. Occasionally I had some other big game hunting. But for deer hunting etc they only let you get one deer tag a year.

One thought is after seeing some of the failed anti-gun ban laws, they are targeting anything with a detachable magazine. So one day they may ban everything with a detachable magazine. They consider these types of guns as extra evil.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-01-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Typo

Banned
    Duckiller,

Just ONE reason that I've transitioned away from semi-auto rifles to all PUMP-RIFLES is the hostility of many foreign nations to S-As.

Trust me, my circa 1969 Model 760 pump-gun in 9.3x62mm (as reformatted by JES) will take anything from European hares to elephant, IF I do my part.
    (Otto Bock "knew what he was about" in 1905, when he designed the 9.3x62mm.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    TexasNative46; Well in looking at the latest bill the Democrats tried to slip into Congress, they do this every year when Congress opens for its first session. Thankfully it never makes it out of the committee. They wanted to ban anything with a detachable magazine. But they also wanted to ban anything with a tubular magazine as well. But they exempted the venerable .22 LR for some odd reason. So unless your pump gun didn't use a tubular magazine and didn't use a detachable magazine it would be banned if that bill ever got passed. I think that the only semi-automatic rifle that wasn't banned was the classic M1 Garand. Their law would have banned all of the Olympic Competition .22 rifles too.

Banned
    Earlwb,

The facts are that LEFTIST IDIOTS will always introduce stupid bills that even the "introducer" KNOWS that has NO chance whatever of passing into law. = The politicians do that to be able to go to their STUPID supporters/donors & say, "Well, I tried."

90% of politicians care about just TWO things: Being reelected & getting more $$$$$$$$$.

That's WHY I want a "citizens Congress" (of the sort that Thomas Jefferson envisioned), wherein there would be a requirement that the members:
    1. serve a maximum of TWO terms in DC in their lifetime,
    2. receive NO pensions,
    3. NOT solicit or receive any donations of "anything of value" from any group of any sort whatever
    4. NOT be allowed to solicit/receive funds from any person, who cannot vote for the member AND that the source of all donations of any sort be identified by name, business address & residence address and
    5. that any public funding of any political party or candidate be permanently forbidden.

Also, a federal law should be passed that makes it a felony for any member to solicit or accept "anything of value" from any person, who is attempting to convince the member to vote for or against any proposed law.
    (In other words, I would, if I could, OUTLAW all LOBBYING by paid persons.)

yours, tex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12