Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger MK IV Target model and 22/45 JAMMING

Boolit Master
    Just got my new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Target home. What a hunk of junk. I love it. I now feel you pain.

1 The bolt does not even spring into battery on its own. You have to push it with your hand.
    2 You can not drop the slide release even if you pull back on the bolt.
    3 Claims it comes with two mags only came with one. Did come with two locks.
    4 Dirty as can be. **** in barrel.
    5 The one mag it did come with is getting stuck half way up and down the slide. I will be doing a mag job.

The rest (and yes there is more) I was aware of before I ordered it. I have not taken a shot yet. I will polish things up and get back to everyone. Oh and I will be calling ruger to ask about this two locks one mag thing. I honestly have no clue how it would be able to shoot if I just loaded the mag up and gave it a go. Not in the shape it is in. I do like it even with its flaws.

Oh and now the hammer is stuck and trigger will not pull. Looks like a total strip down and clean then start over.

Boolit Master
    Keep an eye on the roll pin that holds the rear sight it will walk out on you.
    Remove the pin and give it a bit of a bend and reinstall. Never had a problem with my MKII or MK III pistols. I've found that CCI Mini mags are the go to for just about any 22 semi auto pistol.

Boolit Master
    > 3 Claims it comes with two mags only came with one.

Old dirty dealers trick.
    Steal 1 mag out of the box and sell it on the side for $25 more profit and stiff the
    original pistol buyer and just give him 1. He will be drooling over the new pistol
    and either:
    1. wont notice there is only 1 mag, or
    2. think only having 1 mag is "normal", or
    3. asks the dealer about it who says "gee, I don't know, it only came with one"
    (as he lies and holds it in his sweaty other hand) or says "in this state it only comes with 1,
    want me to order a 2nd one for you for such-a-low-price?".

Boolit Master
    FYI I know of several Browning Buckmarks which were having intermittent feed problems with
    several different mags and with most brands/types of ammo.

I isolated the problem and it was weak mag springs.
    Slightly different power ammo had slightly different slide timing which in some cases was causing reliability problems.

i.e. hot ammo causes the slide to go to full recoil and bounce back to try to strip off a new round before the mag
    spring has time to put the new round 100% up into the correct position.

Solution: take disassembled mag, spring, and follower to hardware store, and pick a coil spring with the a diameter
    the matches the original mag spring. take it home, clip off a .75" length of new spring and assemble the mag with
    original + new spring in mag. make sure mag can still be loaded to full cap before spring goes to coil bind.
    rejoice in the new firmness of the follower pressure and all 8 mags have run flawless since!

Boolit Master
    Well this is not my thread so I really do not wish to hijack it.
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    > 3 Claims it comes with two mags only came with one.

Old dirty dealers trick.
    Steal 1 mag out of the box and sell it on the side for $25 more profit and stiff the
    original pistol buyer and just give him 1. He will be drooling over the new pistol
    and either:
    1. wont notice there is only 1 mag, or
    2. think only having 1 mag is "normal", or
    3. asks the dealer about it who says "gee, I don't know, it only came with one"
    (as he lies and holds it in his sweaty other hand) or says "in this state it only comes with 1,
    want me to order a 2nd one for you for such-a-low-price?".
    Ya I do agree with this one but I was present when the box came in to the dealer. We opened it together. So if any shop took out a mag it was Grab a Gun who I ordered it from. Not sure why it came with two locks. Must have been packed so fast they just dropped two in by mistake. Wish the packer would of drop the correct amount of mags or two more by mistake. Several years back I got a 1911 from ruger with a crushed mag and they made it right. I will call them today as Grab a Gun claims they do not open the boxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    FYI I know of several Browning Buckmarks which were having intermittent feed problems with
    several different mags and with most brands/types of ammo.

I isolated the problem and it was weak mag springs.
    Slightly different power ammo had slightly different slide timing which in some cases was causing reliability problems.

i.e. hot ammo causes the slide to go to full recoil and bounce back to try to strip off a new round before the mag
    spring has time to put the new round 100% up into the correct position.

Solution: take disassembled mag, spring, and follower to hardware store, and pick a coil spring with the a diameter
    the matches the original mag spring. take it home, clip off a .75" length of new spring and assemble the mag with
    original + new spring in mag. make sure mag can still be loaded to full cap before spring goes to coil bind.
    rejoice in the new firmness of the follower pressure and all 8 mags have run flawless since!
    Spring tension does not seem to be an issue with the one mag I have here. Just rough stamping of the metal holding the follower from sliding smoothly. I have cleaned it up and looks to be working as it should.

Edit: I just tack this on here since I was the last post.

Ruger is shipping me another mag. I got the other one running smooth. Ruger claims the back set screw in the rail mount is what is making the bolt hang up. So I took it out and that is not it. More polishing is needed. I will be getting into the lower half tonight.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.

So I replaced the extractor with a TandemKross extractor today:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extractor 3-17.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	216547
    The original is on the right. This was new on Christmas. It has had less than 500 rounds through it.

Also picked up some new mags and this is what the polishing before and after looks like:

Name:	Mag polish 3-18.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	216548

Name:	Mag polish2 3-18 .jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	216549

I took the mags and cycled a full load through them by just working the slide back and forth. I hope to confirm tomorrow if this works. I am optimistic since the slow cycling seemed to work very well.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    BNE I hope it runs like a top for you.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-20-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well I took my Mark 4 out today for the first time. After some heavy polishing and modding it ran spot on. 500 rounds down range and the only thing that went wrong was the bolt didnt lock back one time on empty chamber. Could not be happier with the way it ran. Now that trigger. Ugg. Even with a mild trigger job I did it still has a mile of travel. Nice little shooter.

Boolit Master
    I have found the 22/45 is very picky on ammo. It hates Remington Golden Bullet hollow points. I don't believe I have ever got more than 3 shots before it jams/fails to feed. All other hollow point ammo I have tried is spotty at best. It does like most round nose plated or un-plated I have tried. With Federal Auto Match bulk ammo it has been almost flawless until the gun is way beyond any kind of normal cleaning schedule.
    Last edited by jimlj; 03-24-2018 at 08:32 PM.

My Mk III 22/45's agree with the above.

No Rem ammo at all goes into mine, it just does not like it.

CCI, federal is ok. But Fed Auto match bulk runs like clockwork and gives great short range accuracy.
    20 feet it will put 10 in a popcap with room on the sides for more.

I have hollow points but I tend to save those, feed it round nose.

When I start having issues I clean very well (not more than a couple of patch's down the bore)
    Oil and wipe dry. They are normally good for a couple of years before I need to worry about doing it again.

Banned

early last year i had a brand new mark III for two weeks and it was so frustrating to shoot that i sold the dang thing off.

however, my sr-22 runs like a top on cci mini-mags. killer little pistolo.

Boolit Master
    My replacement mag showed up from ruger. Took it to the range right out the package and it jammed ever other shot. So I did a polishing job on it and gave it a go again yesterday and it ran flawless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12