Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun show terminology

Moderator Emeritus

One of my favourites is, "They're going for much, much higher on GunBroker!" My general reply has been, "Yes, one CAN list a $100.00 gun on GunBroker -- or anywhere else -- for, say, $300.00; might you tell me the price the last three of these actually sold for? Two? One?" We've even often seen (e.g., Lyman) die-sets on tables at gun shows at HIGHER pries than the shipped selling brand-new price from Grafs, Midway, MidSouth, and/or others. "Buyer beware" too often gets new meaning at shows !
    geo

Boolit Master
    This is rich!! Love it! I remember back when I was a newby....now you can't get me into a gun show.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Murphy I love it!!! You are one devious fellow!

They are called gun SHOWS for a reason..... I don't attend many, I DO like to walk down the aisles at the Tulsa shows just to see guns and the paraphernalia that is our history. My local show? Not so much.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    "It's worth $800, but I'll take $500 for it."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    "It's worth $800, but I'll take $500 for it."
    Translated means "it's almost $500 new, but this beat up *** is only worth $200". Gunshow translated is, a place people rent tables to try to take advantage of dummies, and to spew their wealth of BS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    Translated means "it's almost $500 new, but this beat up *** is only worth $200". Gunshow translated is, a place people rent tables to try to take advantage of dummies, and to spew their wealth of BS
    And dont forget how they are barely getting by in the business. Yet the steak house is full of them every night in the town where the show is being held.

Banned
    I'm just wondering if anyones arm had been twisted and they were forced to go to the gun show. There are a lot of decent dealers and there are some rip off artists. We as informed gun people should be able to tell the difference. I would suggest that if you cannot then you should avoid the gun shows.

Boolit Master
    We are just making fun. I have had tables at all the shows within four hours of my house for many many years. I still attend when I can. I can not speak for others but I will say in my area very few of the old dealers still have tables. It is a younger crowd pushing box store guns or junk.

I used to dig in the junk boxes and bins for all sorts of stuff. Now it is mostly AR this and that tactical stuff and so on. We used to do vendor trading Friday nights and now once guys have set up the tables they just cover it with a sheet and leave.

Shows are great or where and do provide good times. But like anything else you always have that one or more dealers looking to cash in on the newbie.

Oh and yes my arm gets twisted every time a show is around by all my shooting buddies to go.

One of my favorites is....I have one like that only it’s different.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyones arm had been twisted and they were forced to go to the gun show. There are a lot of decent dealers and there are some rip off artists. We as informed gun people should be able to tell the difference. I would suggest that if you cannot then you should avoid the gun shows.
    gun show dealer, huh?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Knock on wood I haven't lost my butt at a show mostly.because I'm a cheap skate .

If I see something blatantly flakey on a table I walk . Last show it was a box of $10 ea Carcano stripper clips "WWII" plainly stamped 70s vintage brass clips ........ Got 3 from another guy that probably didn't know what they were for $5 .

I saw an 03A3 for sale with a tag on it for $201 more than I sold it for just over a yr ago .......

I saw a Frontier Six Shooter in rough shape with a 2nd gen SAA price tag and the guy was actually pushing it as a 1910 cowboy gun .........

I passed 2 #1s in 45-70 at $400 .
    I passed a Citori cased set , 6 barrel sets , 1 screw in with 8 chokes $1800 .
    I did buy an H&G 130 8C for $30 .
    Got a RBH 45 ACP cylinder $25 .
    My buddy Jorge got an original 1875 action 1886 TD for $500 ..... couldn't look at a rough dark bore this go around for under 700.

I've seen JMs for Rem prices and Remlins for premium JM prices .
    I don't know what the Mauser guys are smoking but unless there are 7 witness signatures and a DNA testable blood sample proving it was Hitler's last personal rifle there's no way in ---- I'm paying $300 for a Check .
    Maybe an engraved Rigby in 275 Rigby with double set triggers .

Best line ?
    This 460 Weatherby Mark V Safari is bargain priced at $6000 and it comes with 14 rounds left in the original box that came with the rifle . Just 3 owners .
    I'm like yeah cause they shot it the 2nd time because they couldn't believe anything could hit that hard the first time .
    Oh wait that was the light barrel #1 375 H&H last weekend .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I still enjoy going, especially some of the smaller shows. Like anything( flea markets, antique shows, etc) there is the over priced, over hyped, but you can still find the occasional deal. You can always, look, ask and dicker. And you can always walk away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    gun show dealer, huh?
    No, not a gun dealer.

Boolit Master

All " militaria" is NOT old moldy stuff. Seller at the recent Show of Shows had a SS uniform for sale, $ 18,000. May have been a decent price, was not there to ask nazi collector friends about it. Anyway seller went to bathroom or get something to eat. Guy comes to table and asks his helper how much, helper calls seller, seller say its 18. Helper sold it for $1,800!!!!!!!
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Cool thread and kind of funny! Rare or collector means over priced to me. After I retired, I cleaned out my gun room, safe, closet, ect and sold off several items that I had no use for. Me and a couple of buddies rented a table at the local show. I researched the value of my stuff and priced it to sell. I was even willing to go down a little to move an item. I still laugh at some of the characters that stopped by the table. Everything from Mister Low Ball to Mister Know-it-all to Mister Broke and Fixed Income guy! And a few knowledgeable guys that I enjoyed visiting with.

I had a bunch of belt buckles for sale. A young couple stopped to look and She ask to handle one of them. I want to say I was asking around $5 for it. She ask If I would take less. I told her I thought it should be worth $5. They left but returned a couple of times and just looked. Later in the day She returned yet again and ask to see that buckle again and again ask if I would take less. Well, I just gave it to Her! I told her if she really wanted it that bad I would like for her to have it. Seeing her eyes light up was the highlight of the show for me!

Boolit Master

I don't waste my time with gun shows in this area. Almost ALL shows around here are run by the same promoter: a regular 'circuit' with (mostly) the same dealers, same 'tacticool' hardware, same flea market junk. At the last show I attended, the only local guys with tables were 'collectors' with a few fairly nice pieces who seemed to have been infected with the same 'Blue Book Price' malady as the guys peddling plastic. One of those had a waffletop Marlin in .35 Rem with a genuine 'collectable' price on it...same gun he'd offered me, a month or so earlier, for $200 less. Only shows I'll hit these days are the ones put on by local organizations (shooting clubs, VFW, etc.) which, apparently, don't have sufficient attendance to attract dealers from the 'circuit'.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I still like going to the shows. It's not like the old days when guys would bring tons of gun parts to look over. Mostly just ARs and over priced new guns. But,,, once in a while I find some diamond in the rough for a good price. Mainly I like the hunt for a good deal. They are few and far apart, but they are still out there. I love getting a deal over on those wheeler dealer gun show guys. Mostly it's on some obscure reloading gear. It's really a knowledge game knowing when something is a deal.

Oh, and I've done the Murphy trick a few times too. Good fun letting them think they are going to buy a collector condition m1 for $300, even for just a minute.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I go to the shows mostly in pa.. This is the only so called business . You get a bunch of Guns. , rent a table, Get some sort of price guide. BS a lot and your in Business
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

This stuff is some hot mil surp ammo, meaning it WILL blow up in your face at least every 10th round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast