Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: So we didn't kill many doves opening day...

Boolit Master

So we didn't kill many doves opening day...

but sometimes you find yourself just where you need to be. On a friend's field with sons and grandson, just as I was so many days with my Dad beginning in 1960, armed to the teeth with my bb gun. Precious memories flooded my soul just as the brief thunderstorm soaked my shirt. Some lingered in my eyes awhile as I remembered Opening day 2003. In the merciful shade of a pecan tree hard by our sunflower Daddy told me what I already knew - that his cancer was killing him, that there would be seasons no more for him. He shot once that day, balling up a lazily passing bird with his old Sweet Sixteen, before retreating to the cool comfort of his recliner at home.
    Opening day will always be Thanksgiving to me, as long as I'm able. And tomorrow we shoot our field that is loaded with birds. And there was this reminder in the heavens that "every good gift, and every perfect gift comes down from above, from the Father of lights in Whom there is no shadow of turning."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	226501
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

I always enjoy reading about your hunts and your family participation. Thats a cool picture! We had a storm the night before I planned to spray our field and it was still in the area when we arrived at daylight. I got a neat picture of a double rainbow right after daylight that morning.

We had a pretty good opening day. The birds were later than usual and arrived in smaller numbers. Twelve of us, 5 older guys, 2 Wives and 3 kids under 10, killed 136. One of the kids was not old enough to shoot but had a ball fetching our birds. My oldest Grandson and a friends Granddaughter killed their first. We cook burgers and hot dogs the night before and have a fish fry after the hunt. We usually feed a few friends and neighbors along with the hunters.

A few of us went back this morning and had a really slow hunt. The birds would land on the nearby power line but seldom hit the field. We have had some unusual weather and the birds didn't like it. We hunted over Sunflowers. I think a few of the guys want to hunt again next weekend.

Boolit Master

I havent had a dove field for several years, I planted grain sorgum and sudan grass then baled the hay two to three weeks beforevthe opener. We always had a good field then more and more wanted to hunt but no one wanted to help with the work or expense, and left piles of shells in the field. It became eisier not to plant just for doves, and stright sudan made much better hay.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Haven't had a dove shoot since my dad passed in 93. He loved it, would plant 20 or so acres of millet. Great hay for the cows and the doves loved it. We'd bail, square bales, a week or so before opening day. Only hunt on Saturday. Birds had the other 6 days. My shoulder still hurts thinking about it. As a teen, I was a poor shot, and haven't gotten much better with time. At least I can shoot left handed like I should be and not get yelled at.

I've got a hundred doves just wandering around the fields around me. I could shoot with bb gun too.

Boolit Master

Hogtamer that is such a wonderful memory of hunting doves on opening day with your dad. It touched me down deep. So much so that I read your post to my wife. I got something in my eye and had a little trouble seeing my screen. That memory with your dad is priceless and one to cherish each time you celebrate opening day. The rainbow picture was so fitting in that you found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow because your dad took the time to take you hunting with him. The good Lord has placed that bow in the sky along with his promise. Thank you for posting your memory.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't dove hunted in several years, especially since my hunting buddy (my uncle) passed. It was so poetic to watch him with that sweet swing. Yesterday I was bicycling to the cemetery (dove opener) and was passing a dormant onion field. Suddenly, hundreds of doves rose from the field....white wings, mourning doves, Eurasians, pigeons. Something apparently spooked them....maybe a hawk. Anyway, I thought it was nice to know that this was one concentration that the scouts had overlooked.

Boolit Master

I remember Dove Hunting with my Family that last summer we were all still together. My little Brother and I were still 1&2yrs too young. But we were ready to race out and try to beat the dogs on the retrieves.
    In the early 1960's there were tons of doves down near the Salton Sea.
    The 20ga's roared for an hour. I can't remember the limit from that long ago, but I remember the bulging burlap bags of birds. With 7 guns it was A LOT of birds.

After everyone limited out, my Dad would build a fire and toss a big chunk of bacon fat into a Huge cast iron skillet. Everyone else sat around and "Breasted Out" the birds. When 10 went into the bowl, it was switched out for an empty bowl and the full bowl was dumped in to that hot skillet. I still remember that sizzle. And the mounds of fried Dove breasts. We would eat until we were stuffed.

It was a great 3-4 days. One of the best times of my life.

I gave up Dove Hunting in the late 1980's, My Dad had just passed. The last Adult Male in my Family besides myself. Between work & Family I just had no time.

Those Hunting Memories are so Precious, we need to hang on to them, hold them close. And share with those who would understand.
    Last edited by Walks; 09-03-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Those Hunting Memories are so Precious, we need to hang on to them, hold them close. And share with those who would understand.
    Yeah, we sure do. My younger Brother always comes in from out of state for Dove season. His behavior and mannerisms remind me so much of my Dad, who is gone now. In later years, he didn't even care to hunt. He just wanted to be there with everyone else. I'm pretty sure that my Brother killed his first Doves while on one of my hunts. Opening day this year my oldest Grandson killed his first. So did a good Friends oldest Granddaughter. Her Mother did too, several years ago. As a young girl, She used to sit on my lap and eat off of my plate when she was that age when we would all go out to eat. We usually have 12 to 15 hunters, mostly a core group of my close friends and mine and their families. Some of them stay with us that weekend. Memories!

I have hunted over freshly broadcast wheat before but for the last several years I have planted Sunflowers. They like Millet really well too but I'm more comfortable with Sunflowers. Its getting expensive and I never get all of my money back, even though everyone chips in a little. My Wife and I have agree to keep the tradition running for as long as we are physically or financially able.

Boolit Master
    Used to honor opening day each year when I lived down in the Delta. Usually a few "legally" baited fields around that I had access to. And this Saturday Morning, when I went out to get the paper I heard shooting a ways off. Dawned on me "Dove Season has opened". Made me want to dig out the old Ithaca featherweight 20 gauge.

Since I only have public land to hunt, I have given up on the dove opener and since the first three days are a holiday weekend I will wait til later this week. Too crazy and too many once a year hunters. Instead I have found an area nearby that has blue grouse and the season opens 9/1. We struck out opening day and I am not sure why. We had an early spring and maybe the berries are all eaten and they have already moved higher than this spot. I managed to bag one this morning, so I will be making grouse later this week. Will try again one more time before I conclude this spot is a bust this year and investigate other areas that are higher up.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.