MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun show terminology

Gun show terminology

Recently there have been thread about the number of novice shooters showing up at ranges and elsewhere who are a bit inexperienced. Yesterday I was at a gun show and got to thinking about how some of the terms used might confuse a novice. Since there is a wealth of experience on this site I think it would be a good idea if we were to define some of the terms used at gun shows to help newer shooters. Here are the ones I have so far. Please add what you can to the list.

Collectors item: Any gun that has been out of production for more that 30 days.

Patina: Rust

Dark bore with strong rifling: Patina inside the barrel

Character: scratches, dings, chips, cracks and patina.

I am barely breaking even on this gun: I need to remember to call the dealership and upgrade to the heated leather seats.

Polymer: plastic

Tactical: a polymer gun that you can hang accessories on.

Tactical accessories: various items that fit on a tactical gun that totally eliminate the need for basic marksmanship or practice.

Used by elite units: sat in a warehouse in Minsk for 70 years.

I just got that in on a trade: Thank goodness I am finally moving this thing.

Militaria: Stuff from old peoples attics that has some connection to a war. Often characterized by patina and mildew.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    My favorite is....

RARE and Hard to Find: You may have to walk 5-10 tables to find another.

It uses a big pill! (Bullet)
    They cost $2.00 a pew pew. (Round)
    Anybody got any tips,heads,freedom eggs? (Bullets)

Boolit Master

So, my 1930 Mosin Nagant is

Militaria used by elite units, and it possesses patina, character, and a dark bore with strong rifling !

I have a real collectors item !

I could sell it, and retire ....

Boolit Master
    Vintage mould: A Lee with the old style "alignment" pins.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    The thing with Gun shows, Everyone knows the value of stuff. with the internet , Value books and alike. Seller , private or otherwise think there stuff is gold. Here in the east, there is tons of stuff , loads of antiques, That is all I am interested. There must be 50 Of everything @ any Major show , Allentown, Baltimore, New York. books are meaningless. Sure you will catch a Noobi. Using Trapdoors Or 1903's as a guide there musts be Over 100 each @ the show. The question comes to mind Why should i buy yours when I have many to pick from . If your not Bargaining you go home with it
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    "That is just a fraction of what it cost new." = I hope this fool has no clue what it cost new.

"Buy now before it is banned". = Please take this off my hands before it is against the law for me to sell it but I will keep ordering more until it is.

For those selling. "Its just not a hot item." = If he shows the smallest of signs he agrees I am going to steel this gun. ( just saw this one the other day Gun had a SW 357 blued gun shop owner told him no one wants wheel guns and he would have to sit on it for almost a year. He offered 150 when the guy accepted he headed to the register to then tell him he can only do 140 as it was all he had on hand.

Custom hand loads = no clue what is going to happen when you shoot these.

Not all is bad.
    I just can not think of any at the moment. LOL

Ah MIL-SPEC = A performance specification defines the functional requirements for the item to military standards. - On a side note that does not mean a good thing most of the time. (sloppy)
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    “Honest Wear.” Fell out of the bed of my pickup truck, at speed, at least twice.

“Mint.” At least 60% finish.

“Excellent.” At least 10% finish.

“Good.” Ranges from NRA Disgusting to NRA Nauseating.

“Vintage.” Before 2000.

“Antique.” Before 1980.

“Collectible.” Must be some moneyed idiot somewhere.

Notice on Wall Of Show: “Any Misrepresentation of Items For Sale Will Result in Ejection From Show, with Loss Of Table Fees.” Har-de-Har-Har.

Call me devious, but there have been times I enjoy packing in a pistol or two and playing the dummy. No intention of parting with them what so ever.

A mint in the box S&W Model 27-2, 5" barrel with box & papers, or my S&W Model 66-4 3" in as new condition for instance. Some of them ole' boys are pretty good at keeping a straight face. I just pretend a relative left them to me and I'm actually more interested in getting one of them 9mm's everyone keeps talking about. But man! There shore is a ton of em' out here! Don't see anything here 'just yet' but may be back.

I've seen em' shaking and close to breaking into a sweat. I watch for the ones that deserve the treatment. Those who just took a kid's grandpa's 94 Winchester off his hands for a Keltec. Yep, ole thuty-thuty there son. You know how many MILLION of those they made?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

TactiCool ... can only be sold to one who is in possession of a valid 'ManCard' & who will display the item in their 'ManCaves'...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    well taken care of= stocks sanded down below the metal, metal has a nice cold blue finish.

one they tried to pull on me. that did ot cost that new in 1960. my answer was yes but that was silver so yes I will take $100 in silver coin today.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    TactiCool ... can only be sold to one who is in possession of a valid 'ManCard' & who will display the item in their 'ManCaves'...
    I love it. Good one. I almost didnt buy a rifle because it is named the Tacticool. I am so glad I did. Best shooting 22lr ever.

Keep um coming this is fun.

Boolit Master
    I always loved on pawn stars a guy would bring in a old colt beautifully restored and the would tell them " if it was original it would be worth a fortune" next guy comes in with a good condition colt and they tell him " it going to cost a fortune to have it restored"
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Buddy
    Badly repainted Ruger medallion or vintage WW2 M1 Iver Johnson carbine, and they do sell to some sucker. Sometimes it is worse than a used car dealer.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    Love it. I have heard all of them and more. Here is one of my favorites. How long have you been dragging that thing around?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I was at a gun show years back in Biloxi and I saw a 3in Model 36 Smith and asked the guy if the price was negotiable. He said it sure was (after he told me the gun was "rare"). I had my Fjestadts blue book in my large cargo pocket and pulled it out and started flipping to the Smith section. He got instantly furious. Red face and all. I walked off.

At a gunshow in Perry Ga there was a guy there with a table of beat up leather holsters and a bunch of gun "junk" in fair to poor condition. I looked at a few things and he blurted out "Everything must go! I'm getting out of the gunshow business and I'm tired of lugging all this stuff around. This is my last show EVER!" Saw him at the next gunshow I went to with the exact same junk on his table. I walked up and he started into the whole "my last gunshow ever".............

Gun dealers/show folk can be really scummy at times.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I was ask one time what patina means, after a moment I gave the best answer I could think of. If I'm selling it to you it's Patina, if you are trying to trade it to me it's rusty
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I saw one of those rifles at a local gun show. The seller bragged about how this Winchester Model 94 was an antique. Stock was black. Had a flat barrel band on the front (yes, that's the old style). Then I looked at the bottom of the receiver and there was no set screw or set screw hole and the pin was a screwed in roll pin (post -64). I pointed out to him that the parts didn't match and he had nothing to say.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    My favorite is "That gun is hard to get." I guess it really is because I've only seen a dozen of them at the show so far.

Boolit Master
    "Rare" also means the make/model of this firearm was not well received by the buying public when they were first introduced for sale. The manufacturer realized this and ended their run of that model quickly. Were't popular then, and still aren't today, so there are only a few of them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast