Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication PBcastco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denny Ducet video - March Shoot: WInter Walk

Banned

Denny Ducet video - March Shoot: WInter Walk

Last edited by rfd; 03-11-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo!

Boolit Master
    Looks like a fun time had by all!

Thanks for sharing!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That was the nicest day we've had to shoot all winter. The last two shoots were snowshoe shoots, so there was a pretty good path to walk. If you stepped off that path though, you were up to your knees in snow. I didn't even go to the shoot before this one as it was minus 3. The cabin and a warm fire was much more appealing that day.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Some of those guys really want to make sure that their ball is well seated!

Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    Nice!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Some of those guys really want to make sure that their ball is well seated!
    absolutely. and blow down the tube as well.

Boolit Master
    What does the repeated throwing of the ramrod down the bore do that pressure when seating doesn't do? I have noticed that some do this in the videos but not all......
    I guess I am asking what theory is behind doing this....other than a nervous twitch

Banned

when the rod "trampolines" off the patched ball, it's well seated and with powder somewhat compressed. this is for a relatively "loose load" that doesn't require a short starter let alone a hammer, and no fouling control between loads. there can be times when bp crud develops at the chamber, and as the ball is pushed down it'll hit that crud and one would think it's homed, it ain't, and that's not a good thing. when the rod bounces up, you know for sure there's no air space. in my own testing with .32 to .62 guns and loose load patched balls, there is no ball deformity - can't say that about a tight load.

Boolit Master
    I have a mark on my ramrod for the load I am using, (a "preacher mark", I think some call it), but of course, I don't shoot "traditional", nor am I a regular BP shooter. I shoot BP muzzies to hunt, not so much for the fun. ( that can always change though, eh? )

Interesting, since I saw it done, but that was not what I was enjoying. I was not looking for "things" to comment on, as I watched. There was no"critique" from me...
    I was just enjoying the fun & good times that was being enjoyed by folks who were enjoying their day.

I miss the camaraderie of such doins... If you have not done such things, with a bunch of like- minded & fun folks to be around, I think some of the "atmosphere" can be missed.

To me, it was a bit of sharing that made ya feel as though you should of & could of been there...

Pretty cool!

And once again... Thanks for sharing the goodness!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Banned

i vary my loads, sometimes a lot. putting marks on the rod got me more cornfused than helped. the rod bounce fixes that pronto.

man, i'd love to woods walk with those folks, what a blast in more ways than one! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	227 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	216233

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    when the rod "trampolines" off the patched ball, it's well seated and with powder somewhat compressed. this is for a relatively "loose load" that doesn't require a short starter let alone a hammer, and no fouling control between loads. there can be times when bp crud develops at the chamber, and as the ball is pushed down it'll hit that crud and one would think it's homed, it ain't, and that's not a good thing. when the rod bounces up, you know for sure there's no air space. in my own testing with .32 to .62 guns and loose load patched balls, there is no ball deformity - can't say that about a tight load.
    Thanks for the explanation. I need to find a thinner patch material...or smaller ball, to load without a short starter.

That looks like a fun day shooting.

Banned

for the most part, i will get better overall accuracy with a tightly patched ball, just like the target shooters do. but that isn't fun for me, that's not how it was done back in the day, too much work and then there'll be fouling control issues. i'd rather go with either a thinner patch and/or smaller ball, and no short starter. i also prefer a grease patch lube and i make ramrods that don't require flipping, just an up-bounce down-up-down and the deed is done without breaking a sweat let alone requiring tools. accuracy is not at all that bad, in fact, it was good enuf to win a few matches, with these old eyes no less. anyhoo, lots will depend on what kinda load the gun likes, and it'll just require a bit of experimentation, but well worth doing.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would say the majority of us in this area blow down the bore to clear spark. We consider it much safer than not doing so. We don't have much use for the eastern bunch that got their panties in a twist about it some years ago.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

i vary my loads, sometimes a lot. putting marks on the rod got me more cornfused than helped. the rod bounce fixes that pronto.

man, i'd love to woods walk with those folks, what a blast in more ways than one! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	227 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	216233
    Spring rendezvous, third weekend in May!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I would say the majority of us in this area blow down the bore to clear spark. We consider it much safer than not doing so. We don't have much use for the eastern bunch that got their panties in a twist about it some years ago.
    i could not agree more. seems like this country is yet again overly pandering to the stupid at the expense of the smart.

http://bwanabob.info/page2.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Spring rendezvous, third weekend in May!
    man, i wish you guys were within reasonable driving distance ...

Boolit Master
    i could not agree more. seems like this country is yet again overly pandering to the stupid at the expense of the smart.

http://bwanabob.info/page2.html
    Good article. Thnx for sharing it.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Banned

because almost all muzzleloading clubs are affiliated or chartered through the NMLRA, blowing down the barrel is forbidden at all events, woods walks, matches ... unless you use a long blow tube.

Boolit Master
    Good info in that article, but it can't be overlooked that the author blamed the range officer for his loading mistake. His gun, his mistake, distraction or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast