Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: New Toy in 45 Colt

Boolit Buddy

New Toy in 45 Colt

Picked up a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt at the gun show today. Tomorrow I have a play date with it.

Attachment 216200
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    Good for you! I also picked up a Rossi 454 Casull not long ago, but I haven't had a chance yet to make it sing.

Boolit Buddy
    nice lever gun , I have the r 92 in 357 with a 16 inch barrel and love it .I ran across a used r 92 in 45 colt a few years back at a local shop for 250$ ,instead of grabbing it right away I procrastinated . I went back a few days later with cash in hand to buy and of coarse it was gone , my loss I guess .

Boolit Buddy
    Grabbed a handful of ammo, 255 gr flat nose lee bullets, 8.5 unique, and threw lead. Killed my 8 in swinger at 50 yds. Had hard time feeding last round everytime. I might have been to soft with the lever. Will check more closely after I clean it up. I now have 44 mag, 45 colt, 35 rem, 30-30, 45-70, in leverguns. Will be watching for a 357.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Good deal! I love the old 45 colt.

Try some 270 gr cast boolits (RCBS SAA 270) in the 45 Colt, I have two of the Rossi 45 Colts and they both seem to prefer about 265 gr cast to 300 gr cast. My 454 Casull definitely prefers the 300 gr cast, it's favorite is the Lee. The only one I need now is one of the Rossi 357 mag rifles.

Steve...........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Master
    I need a 16" one of those. Bad.

Super Moderator

Rossi 45 Colt rifle.

................I also have one. It's a rifle, 24" octagon bbl, blued, colorcased.

Steve E recommended some heavy cast slugs for it and I can also recommend them. I like the RCBS 45-270 SWC, and have also used the Lee 458-340F (lube-size .457" then run it up through a Lee .454" push through die). I wouldn't have thought that those heavy slugs would do so well in it's slow twist, but they do. The barrel on mine slugs .446" x .450" so it's tight, and has shallow grooves.

I also put a Marbles tang sight on it. The photo of the loaded 45 Colt is for use in my Vaquero. You'll have to shorten it up a tad for it to cycle in the Rossi. After I bought it I took it all apart and flushed the action out with carb cleaner, then did some cleaning up/de-burring internally, and on the various parts that needed it. Also made a new steel magazine follower (the plastic one would have been fine, but ............ you know).

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance