RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Hardness guess

Boolit Buddy

Hardness guess

Since lead wheel weights seem to have become extinct in my part of the world, and I have a fair supply of lino and pure lead,
    I have started casting with 2p lead to 1p linotype. It seems to cast and shoot OK, but seems to be a little hard for a hunting boolit.
    Any one care to give me a guess on how hard they actually are? I am using these in a .45 Colt New Model Blackhawk and I am driving them fairly fast.

Boolit Master

As you asked for a guess, I'll give you one.
    My guess is between 14-16 bhn.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    As you asked for a guess, I'll give you one.
    My guess is between 14-16 bhn.
    You are shaking my faith in our grand old alloy calculator, Hickory. It only shows a 12.7.

Moderator Emeritus

Xcel calculator says 12.7 also.

Boolit Bub
    Have the same problem about wheel weights up here;I've found that hardness is secundary to bullet fitness.BHN 12 does a very good job in my .44 at chronoed 1304fps(no leading after 100 rds and same grouping accuracy).
    I cast range recovered lead(BHN 6.5)with 10%lyno(my once 1000# supply is down to 450#s;I might have to try find resupply soon).
    Water cooled bullets(drop them in a 5 gal pail half filled but be carefull about the splashes;you'll have to rig some kind of cloth hanging over the pail to intercept any drop of water sailing towards the molten lead).That'll yeld a very hard bullet while using less of that precious lyno.

Boolit Buddy
    Well folks, that is pretty much where I was hoping to be. I might add a little more lead and see what results I get.
    Replies much appreciated!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    All praise and glory to the the alloy calculator.

I does work! But I still rely on my Cabine tester all the time. And the alloy calc for mixing on the fly.

Boolit Buddy
    In case any one is interested, I am using a 285gr boolit from an Accurate mold, gas checked. I cast a few hundred of these a couple of months ago, sized them to .452 and lubed with 2500. Loaded over 23gr of H110 I am getting 1325 fps, 23.5 gives me 1360fps. I use the 23gr load.
    No leading, not even a little wash and they go where they are aimed. The cases slide right out of the cyl. I only use these for hunting and they are more than I really need in Fl. but we do have some pretty big piggies down here, along with some bears, but I am not shooting at bears unless one decides that I look tasty. I think letting them sit for a while helps with the no leading. They are not water dropped.
    Last edited by Flinchrock; 03-12-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    All praise and glory to the the alloy calculator.

I does work! But I still rely on my Cabine tester all the time. And the alloy calc for mixing on the fly.
    I'm jealous. Eventually I will find a used cabine tree or LBT, or even a Saeco for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
    I'm jealous. Eventually I will find a used cabine tree or LBT, or even a Saeco for cheap.
    A $100 bux is not a bad deal. I thought they were more also. Sold my Lee pencilscope to pay for over half the cost of a Cabin tree..Wow, what a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    A $100 bux is not a bad deal. I thought they were more also. Sold my Lee pencilscope to pay for over half the cost of a Cabin tree..Wow, what a difference...
    They are $120 over at buffaloarms.com. Plus another $18.86 for shipping. I have been keeping an eye out for one under a hundred.

Banned

yup my cabintree tester shows it at about 12bhn. tad harder then air cooled ww.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
    You are shaking my faith in our grand old alloy calculator, Hickory. It only shows a 12.7.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I really like the alloy calculator for mixing a particular alloy. But like Banger said I always check with the Cabintree tester.