WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: If you had to pick one lever rifle to keep would you keep the .357 Mag or 45 Colt?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 mAG

155 53.82%
  • 45 Colt

133 46.18%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick one lever rifle to keep would you keep the .357 Mag or 45 Colt?

Boolit Buddy
    I would not keep either, I don't own either one. If it would be between a .41 or .44, that would be a different story. And it would be a hard choice, possibly would go with .44 because it can take .44 special and .44 mag

ADMIN

you didn't state a reason for the weapon.

357 is the more preferred caliber because its more common then 45 colt.
    If you get one that can also shoot 38sp that would be even better.

I have a lever in 38sp/357 mag and a lever in 45 colt.
    I shoot the smaller caliber lever gun more then the larger. So much that the 45 colt has sat enough in the safe that I am thinking about selling it one of these days. (IT IS NOT FOR SALE AT THIS TIME SO DON'T ASK)

Boolit Mold
    With a 357, three 44's, a 35 Rem, a 45-70, two 45LC's, a 375, several 30-30's and a 38-55 my favorite today is the one in my hand at the time. Most of the time the 38-55 is in my hand. They are all adequate for where I shoot and hunt, the 38-55 is just fun to cast, shoot and reload for. I guess I like them all or I wouldn't have them. Of the two in the poll, I will keep them both, but probably prefer the .............. hard choice. I guess that when I figure out which one I like best I can reduce the dies and molds down to just a few. This is my first post and looking forward to learning a lot here.

Boolit Buddy
    357. If it was between 357 and 44, I would go with the 44. I have Rossi 92s in both and use the 44 more. My kids use the 357 more. As for 45, my only 45 Colt pistol is an 1873 clone only rated for standard level loads, so I would not load a hotter 45 for rifle only.

Boolit Man
    To start... I am more of a plinker than a hunter unless you count ridding the orchards of ground squirrels. I am also a curmudgeon I have been told. I have both .357 handguns and a lot of 44 mag handguns... My Dan Wesson 44 mag shoots as good as my 1970 .357 Python.. I have a Henry in 44 mag. 44 mags thump you pretty good. I grew up with em.. Always thought .357 was..... puny? not so much now. As I get older I appreciate how fun it is to shoot 38/357 handguns.

As I say.. a curmudgeon... I still have two kick start Harleys. But one also has an electric foot... way more fun when I just need to run to the store. Same for 44 mag... I love shooting em but a long session of plinking will give you some of the dreaded flichitus.. Both the .357 and the 44 mag lever guns shoot about the same for flat out to 150 yards but the .357 has way less kick to it. On the other hand.. you can see where the 44 hits a lot easier... dirt clods tremble! Since I cast my own bullets and reload em.. there is essentially no difference in cost for shooting.

lazs

Boolit Man
    oh... I know it was 45 Colt or .357 but to me the 44 mag and 45 Colt when handloaded are essentially the same. The advantage to the 44 is having a 44 special and.. not worrying that you end up with some real thumper reload in some weak gun. I like the 45 Colt round but do not own anything chambered for it at this time since as far as I can see it and the 44 are pretty much the same.

lazs

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    357 as ir would be mor versatile for my needs - but I also love the 45 Colt so if I couldn't have a 357, that would be my second choice

Boolit Master

since I have a vast amount of .45 Colt brass, bullets and rifles I'll stay with this caliber
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

.45 Colt in a Henry Original!

Definitely .45 Colt. Look at this beauty... Henry Original in .45 Colt. It's like Sophia Loren in a Walnut dress. Gorgeous to look at, shoots great, and could slap the dog-snot right out of you if you made her mad. Ed
    Attachment 217520

Boolit Master
    i have two Marlin 1894's one in 357 mag and the other 44mag. Shoot the 357 mag frequently and the 44 mag less.But when I want bigger holes in the target I shoot the 44 mag. The 357 maggie cost me all of 160 bucks as one of the members at our club was at the range and said that was what he would take. The 44 maggie was found at a local gin show for 240 bucks. They both have some freckling on the receivers few scratches in the wood. If it wasn't for the low prices I'd have neither. Frank

45 colt, hands down

Boolit Master

44 mag. I don't let other people define my choices.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

You know, I voted 45, but if it came down to it, it would probably be a case of 'wow, I could get this for only $xxx?!?' and that'd be the one I'd get, lol.
    In other words, something really, really, affordable would have to fall into my lap. My wife hits estate sales and such now and again. Never know when she might surprise me.
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    45 Colt is my choice... We hunt. From a lowly round ball at 500 fps to a 300 grainer at 1750+ fps we can go out with confidence and nail any critter we will ever see. But then we are lever rifle blessed so do not need to be so concerned yet. And yes we have a couple 357's.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

My Rossi 45 Colt(454 Casull) simply because of the Casull adder...
    Love my 357, but the 45 wins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love my 1894 .357, probably the last gun I would ever part with. I have no experience with the .45 Colt and am not likely to, given I have a .45-70 and 4x .30-30's if I need more thump or range than the .357.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Own both in repro 1892s. Love them both for their simplicity but in my neck of the woods, a 45 Colt with a 300 grain pill is a good walking around rifle unless I just wanna piss something off.

Boolit Buddy
    357 but I have the 44s and 45s also.
    If a persons finances dictate only one then the 357 is way more dollar friendly to shoot, and way more wife and kid friendly.
    It will work close range deer and hog in a pinch.
    In reality it does not matter for most on this board, I am lucky enough that my problem is I want numerous models in the same calibers, and cash flow limits me there lol.
    I do remember a time in my life when I could only afford one rifle, the lord has blessed me and my family.

Boolit Buddy
    45 ...... all day

Boolit Man
    I am curious how many folks that prefer a certain caliber over another wouldn’t also say that it was the more common revolver that they shoot and load and cast.

For me I own neither but have both calibers in a small variety of revolvers. 45 is what I have strapped to my hip or shoved between the seats most of the time. My pistol rotation seemes to be 45,357,45,44mag,45,500,45,357 and so on. I am hoping to acquire a 45lc 1892 Winchester next weekend.

Dang interesting thread. 357 is surely winning. Seems like when people decide to go bigger, they get split up on just how big to go!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast