Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox

View Poll Results: If you had to pick one lever rifle to keep would you keep the .357 Mag or 45 Colt?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 mAG

155 53.82%
  • 45 Colt

133 46.18%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick one lever rifle to keep would you keep the .357 Mag or 45 Colt?

Boolit Bub
    44 mag. Shoots specials or mags will take anything in the Country and tons of load data, bullet choices and versatility. This is also true of lots of other calibers so I guess it’s totally preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Let's see, I ain't sure... so I've acquired 6 45 Colt rifles... but only 2 .357...
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Bub
    have both, choose 357!!!!

.357, because ammo is cheaper and available everywhere. Reloading isn't always possible, though it's preferable.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Since I have a 44 mag that can do anything the 45 Colt could, I want a 357.

I went with 357 because I do not have a 45LC,I do have a 44mag.But I am able to make it work more with the 357 and the 38spl.and cost less and have 2 wheel guns also in 357 and only one in 44mag.I like them both.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I would say my Marlin 1894 CSBL 357, but I am only answering to the question. I would much rather have the 44 Mag
    Last edited by jstanfield103; 12-22-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    357 Magnum
    I have heard from a large number of people about accuracy problems in 45 Colt lever action rifles. I am one of them. I finally gave up on my 1892 Japchester and sent it out for gender reassignment surgery. It is now an accurate 44WCF Japchester.
    Did you just gets new barrel? Who did the work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fn1889

I sent the rifle to John Taylor. The OEM barrel was too thin for a re-line sleeve so he replaced the barrel. The barrel I believe was from Green Mountain and he did excellent work . The magazine hanger was soldered in place on the OEM barrel, He made the correct twist lock "dovetail" cut.

Banned

far too many subjective opinions, which will skew the responses ... and invalidate the poll.

there are absolutely valid grounds for either and it so will always come down to personal preferences.

i choose the .44-40 henry iron classic, ymmv.

Boolit Master

I've had both the .357 and the .45 Colt. I've had the opportunity to compare. I now have only the .45. With cast bullet loads, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. I also have a couple of .38/.357 revolvers and a couple of .45 colt revolvers, so matching sets were never a problem either. But somehow, I just prefer the bigger slug. It just feels better to me.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess if all you plan to do with it is punch paper and shoot tin cans, the 357 would be fine but if you plan to hunt anything bigger than a rabbit, the 45 Colt is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    I guess if all you plan to do with it is punch paper and shoot tin cans, the 357 would be fine but if you plan to hunt anything bigger than a rabbit, the 45 Colt is the only way to go.
    I'm not THAT big of a .357 fan; but it seems to kill the bigger horned rabbits ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nice rabbit
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

The 357 is marginal for anything except target and small game. I would have to go with 45 Colt because it is more useful. Yea, under ideal circumstances it will suffice but it's not the norm. I have never owned a 45Colt
    carbine but have had several 357s which I considered plinkers. I have a 44mg Marlin and although better than the 45Colt it is a 100yd gun for practical hunting purposes. That would be the 1st to go if I had to sell one. The
    only reason I have it is its legal Ohio deer gun. For hunting purposes any off my other levers would be a better
    choice. From 30/30 thru 30/06 and quite a few inbetween. All old original Wins, Savs, & Marlins.

Banned

I cannot say
    Like any sane person who loves their children equally

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!

Unhappy

Considering where I live & play, between those two choices, the 357Magnums.

And then I’d give my 45Colts to my wife.

I would REALLY miss the rest; and probably dedicate my life to getting the politicians responsible for this evil misfortune thrown out of office & ridden out of town on a rail.
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
    Considering where I live & play, between those two choices, the 357Magnums.

And then I’d give my 45Colts to my wife.

I would REALLY miss the rest; and probably dedicate my life to getting the politicians responsible for this evil misfortune thrown out of office & ridden out of town on a rail.
    Don't forget the tar and feathers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite lever action rifle is my Browning M92 in .357mag. so far. I have shot a few lever action rifles in 45 Colt and they were o.k. but at lower velocities I had minor blowback and sooty cases...no big thing but not ideal for my use with cast boolits. My favorite caliber for a light lever action rifle would be 38 or 44 WCF and I have an original Win 1892 with a shot out bore that I was going to have rebarreled into one of these calibers...but I recently bought another Browning M92 in .357 that was damaged in shipment from an auction sale (stock broken, rest 100%) and I think that this one MIGHT be reborn as a 38 or 44 WCF with a tang sight....IMHO the 38 or 44 WCF feed better than the straight .357 case with no taper but the disadvantage with the 38 or 44 WCF is the expensive and fairly fragile brass. I just finished new wood for the damaged M92 in .357 mag and it's now a new gun. I'm still trying to decide is converting it to 38 or 44 WCF if worth the cost...my current Browning M92 .357 mag gets shot by everyone in the family at the range (coffee cans of .357 cast) and that's not something that will happen with 38 or 44 WCF brass.....

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast