RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 break

30-30 break

I lit some pecan wood in the kettle. While it burned down to coals, I had time to try some 30-30 rounds. My Winchester 94 has never shot cast very good for me. However it brings home game. It's sighted for jacketed 150s/100yds and shoots cast low. My Mauser 30-30 likes everything I've tried so far. These groups are at 40 yds. I used 4320 to use up a can with a $4.75 price tag. Fun in the sun.
    The ribs are good, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The food looks almost as good as the Mauser But the grill is the first place I'd visit .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

You'd be welcome. This is the first time I've used the Lee C309113F and I like what I see. I might seat it out a bit next time for better feeding in the Mauser. I had one round balk but fed on in from the other side of the mag.

Boolit Master
    The Lee soupcan has shot good in every .30 rifle I shot it in. Even fed reliablyin an Inland M1 Carbine and a Universal too, come to think of it. It’s worked from 800 FPS to over 2000fps.

Nice photos, Tex. Did you put some barbeque sauce on that chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Nice photos, Tex. Did you put some barbeque sauce on that chicken?
    It looks like chicken, sorta. Boneless pork ribs rubbed in brown sugar and Cajun seasoning- no sauce. Grilled over pecan, good stuff.
    I want to try that bullet in the Howa .30 Carbine and the .300 Blackout next. I'm shooting up my j-word .30 Carbine ammo next weekend so I'll be forced to reload for it!

Boolit Master
    I've used that bullet in a lot of things too. I have a few 30-06 rifles that really like it. I had a 30-30 Contender that did really well with it too. I need to try it on more stuff. I have an old Stevens "High Power" model 425 in 30 Remington I need to try it with, nothing else has worked.. (-:}

Boolit Master
    I have a 340A in 30-30 and I use the same bullet. No scope just peep but I love it. Just wish it had a better trigger. Its got to be 10 pounds. Dang now you made me want to try and do a trigger job. Nice shooting by the way. Chicken looks good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I have a 340A in 30-30 and I use the same bullet. No scope just peep but I love it. Just wish it had a better trigger. Its got to be 10 pounds. Dang now you made me want to try and do a trigger job. Nice shooting by the way. Chicken looks good too.
    I fought the Mauser trigger and it shot good. I put a Timney trigger on it and it shoots great. Definitely post up your trigger job because your rifle is the most common bolt action 30-30. A lot of members here mentioned them or the Stevens/Springfield versions.

Boolit Grand Master
    Love ribs...but love that Mauser you have in 30/30.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Near perfection ~ Mauser in .30-30. I love it
    Last edited by 725; 03-14-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I fought the Mauser trigger and it shot good. I put a Timney trigger on it and it shoots great. Definitely post up your trigger job because your rifle is the most common bolt action 30-30. A lot of members here mentioned them or the Stevens/Springfield versions.

Well Monday I get two teeth pulled. I am going to loose all my wisdom. HEHE The doc can not figure out how I have kept them this long. I have a feeling I will be hanging around the house the rest of the day. If I feel ok perhaps I will give it a go on the trigger. If I make any headway I will post it up for sure.

Boolit Master

As good as that meat on the grill looks, I think I would be pawing at that 30-30 Mauser!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

Love those "ribs", stores around here used to call them "country style" but now they call them loin chops or something similar. Always cheap, always good. Just look a little funny but that's OK with me!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Well you guys all got screwed. All you 340 owners anyway. Looked all over for my trigger pull gauge and could not find it. I did do the trigger on my 340 but can not tell you what it came down to. I will say 3 - 3.5. If some have interest in how I will start a thread. Dont you hate going to grab something and its now where it should be only to realize you lent it out and its not coming back. Now I need another trigger pull gauge. Grrrrr.

Boolit Master
    I have yet to find a cast bullet my 30-30 likes, old bolt action Stevens. The same bullets work great in other 30 cals, even my other single shot 30-30, just not the bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I have yet to find a cast bullet my 30-30 likes, old bolt action Stevens. The same bullets work great in other 30 cals, even my other single shot 30-30, just not the bolt gun.
    I'm trying to find a consistent cast load for my 94 lever action, too. If it won't stay close to an inch for three shots at close range- I move on to the next load. I may try Lee's C309170 FP next.

Try the 31-168C (170gr) PB or 31-184C GC (185gr). Works fine in my 336 but I can't bench shoot full loads worth a darn. Eventually got tired on this target.
    Attachment 216399
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have a NOE ranch dog 165gr, sucks in my bolt gun. Drop the same round in my single shot, drills em. Not fond of the Lee 170gr, but tried it, sucks in my bolt gun, fine in the single shot. I messed with sizing, seating depth, made no difference in that bolt gun. Copper jacket its fine, even pointed bullets single loaded drills them. Would not think it would do well with a 150gr FMJ at subsonic, it loves them. Maybe someday will buy another lever gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    As good as that meat on the grill looks, I think I would be pawing at that 30-30 Mauser!
    Same here, nice looking long gun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast