Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Researching progressive press options

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Not trying to be “THAT GUY”, but if you are happy I’ll suggest you stay with that. I’m afraid once you tried a 650 your bank account will be empty! I’m not badmouthing other presses, but just from what I’ve seen friends go through vs what I’ve gone through it’s night and day.
    I have a LNL AP setup for 45ACP with the same setup, MRBulletfeeder die with my homemade bullet collator and I'm also very happy with it. The only problems I have are related to the bullet lube that gums the feeder die but I know that I would have the same problem regardless of the press.
    I also have a 550 that I really like and enjoy. I feel like both presses have their advantages. For me the LNL is very good if I leave it for .45ACP as it would be a PITA for me to swap calibers and it would be the same for me with a 650 (I know that I could swap the toolhead that also has the powder measure but I would also have to adjust the case feeder, primer system for small /large pistol, etc). In a nutshell, the more automated the press the more I like them to be dedicated to a single caliber.

On the other hand, for me the 550 is the easiest to swap calibers and it's rock solid in terms of reliability. However it's slower and the lack of auto indexing might be a bummer for some (either for speed or the possibility of a double charge).

Frosted Boolits

I was loading up some 45acp the other night so I took a quick 1 minute video for the OP. With a little practice and technique, the 550 loads plenty fast.

https://youtu.be/aM64VITUg5A
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRat View Post
    I have a LNL AP setup for 45ACP with the same setup, MRBulletfeeder die with my homemade bullet collator and I'm also very happy with it. The only problems I have are related to the bullet lube that gums the feeder die but I know that I would have the same problem regardless of the press.
    I also have a 550 that I really like and enjoy. I feel like both presses have their advantages. For me the LNL is very good if I leave it for .45ACP as it would be a PITA for me to swap calibers and it would be the same for me with a 650 (I know that I could swap the toolhead that also has the powder measure but I would also have to adjust the case feeder, primer system for small /large pistol, etc). In a nutshell, the more automated the press the more I like them to be dedicated to a single caliber.

On the other hand, for me the 550 is the easiest to swap calibers and it's rock solid in terms of reliability. However it's slower and the lack of auto indexing might be a bummer for some (either for speed or the possibility of a double charge).
    Your fine, like I say, I’m not a brand loyalist, I love my Lee turret press and honesty can’t justify my 550, other than it was a smoking deal! I also stated the changeover time and higher cost with the 650/1050 machines.
    My friend with the LNL has spent a lot of time sorting priming issues out. He’s text me with fixes on asked for ideas on problems he’s had. He’s been reloading much longer than I but “misplaced” his Dillon. (He once called to tell me he found a storage unit full of **** he’d forgotten about!) He says he misses his Dillon now, but is making due.
    I honestly think changeover time on any of the true progressives is going to suck, the Pro 1000 probably being the worst!
    As you’ve said, they all have their place and please use and enjoy what you like! My post was meant to be more in jest than anything. I’ve had a week, so I was just poking some fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I change calibers including large-to-small primer swaps and powder drop adjustments in 30 minutes or less. To me, this seems quite reasonable.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

I honestly think changeover time on any of the true progressives is going to suck, the Pro 1000 probably being the worst!
    On my Pro1000 I can change from 9mm to 45acp in about 15min and that is not in a rush. Then depending on which powder measure I'm using I can be back running in that 15 minutes. If using the Auto Drum it takes me about 10 minutes to get the powder drop dialed in. With the Auto Disk it's just a matter of putting the correct disk in. The ease of change is one reason I went with this press. This really is a very simple machine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I change calibers including large-to-small primer swaps and powder drop adjustments in 30 minutes or less. To me, this seems quite reasonable.
    Me too. Although I will admit I do not change over progressives. I shop craigslist and armslist and have been blessed enough to get many progressives at cheap prices. But if you have a good press and good training you can swap any cal fast. Like others have said this could be one reason why a lot of guys prime off press. They do not need to change the priming system.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I agree. That is the main reason I used to justify having at least two progressives, with one set up for each primer size. Caliber changes are rapid if the primer system does not need to changed. With a tool head that has the powder measure already set up, the only change is the shell plate and locating pins on a 550. With the more mechanized units, the case feeding system and/or bullet feeder gets added to the change over time.

And like OR, I did very few caliber changes as I had a number of progressives set up for the calibers I shot the most. The only time "wasted" was emptying the powder measure at the end of each session and filling it when I started.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I agree on the idea that having 2 Dillon 550s (one for small and the other for large primers) is the way to go for rapid changes. If I need more speed on a press I'd rather have a dedicated press with, at least, a bullet feeder.

For me, having a dedicated press for the caliber I shoot most of the time (45ACP) is not about the bulk volume I can make but the convenience of cranking 200 / 300 rounds whenever I need them. Having a demanding day job, a 4 y/o son and God willing another on the way, I really need to be efficient with my loading bench time.

The 550 is the fastest progressive to swap primer sizes I have used.

I keep powder bars preset for the different loads, faster to swap them out than adjust.

I honestly don’t load enough to justify the single 550 I have, so I really can’t spend the money, much less the real estate on two. I only have two powder measures, one large bar, one small, but I’m trying to get a toolhead, dies, powder funnel etc., for each caliber. As I can afford them. I think many reloaders, certainly new ones, will be in a similar situation.
    Sure, I’d love a loaded tool head set up with a powder measure for everything I think I’ll ever load, but 200 9mm, 200 45acp, and well, that’s it this year so far! I hope to do around 500 .357mag and thereish in .308 when I get the pieces in place. So I can spend a bit of time adjusting powder bars and swapping powder measures.
    My previous post wasn’t meant to slight anyone, it seems most of my recent posts in this thread have been taken wrong.
    If you can justify having tool heads set up and ready to go for everything you load, more power to you, I’m honestly jealous! Your switchover time will be minimal. Unfortunately I have more time than money, and seriously, don’t reload enough, to be able to do that. It’s not you, it’s not me, it’s about making it work.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The 550 is the fastest progressive to swap primer sizes I have used.

You've owned many presses, so you probably forgot that it takes about 20 seconds to change priming on the Pro 2000 that you used to own. Cool case feeder project, by the way.

Unscrew this small primer plug assembly...

Then screw in this large primer plug assembly. That's it.

Converting the whole press from small rifle to large pistol takes about 190 seconds, all in.

Too bad that they discontinued the Pro 2000 in favor of the bust-o-matic priming system on the new Pro Chuckers. What a shame.

sawinredneck, Sometimes I think people rush into buying a press and equipment w/o really giving much thought as to what is really needed to get the work done that they need done. Same can be said for fishermen and boats! Kinda like the "I gotta have this!"

I'm one of those that may only load 200 or 300 at a time and not do it again for a month and I know this would be the case when I restarted loading again. As I only shoot pistols, because that is where my interests lay, I knew from before that I didn't want to do this on a single stage press even though I also knew I could easily do this on one. I had it in my mind that a turret press was the way to go and being cheap and on a fixed income I also knew I'd be looking for used equipment. So as it turned out, while watching the auctions and the classifieds on the forums I came across a complete Lee Pro1000 with dies, measure and everything for just over $90.00 shipped to my door. Heck I couldn't even touch a Turret press with dies for money. So I bought it. And I haven't been disappointed or regretful one bit.

Since then I have added another shell plate carrier, 3 shell plates, the small shell feeder, 3 sets of Lee dies and turrets, and two more powder measures, the shell feeder tubes and the collator. Adding it all up including the original press purchase I have about $300.00 invested and can load for 5 different calibers.

So yeah I have Lee stuff and I haven't shed a single tear. So now instead of loading 200/300 of one caliber a month I might be loading 2 or 3 calibers a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post

Too bad that they discontinued the Pro 2000 in favor of the bust-o-matic priming system on the new Pro Chuckers. What a shame.
    I suppose as should have said “...of presses in production”. You may have to also adjust the primer depth screw depending on how you setup/use the press and what you are changing from/to.

I too was perplexed as to why they would abandon the APS strips that have their following for a tube style that wasn’t as well thought out as it could.
    Last edited by jmorris; 03-16-2018 at 07:47 AM.

I follow the reloading forums daily on a number of forums and surprisingly I see very little written or commented on about the RCBS progressive presses. Are they that hard to find or are they just that unpopular?

About a year ago there was a 4X4 I believe for sale locally but it was missing some parts and didn't know if they could be found so I passed on it.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine loads for a living. If you are in NY you know him as he is one of the only to manufacture ammo and sell it. That said he has a RCBS progressive sitting on one bench covered in so much dust I know for a fact he does not use it. It has looked this way for over a few decades. His trusty blue by the front door is always moving. I will ask him why he does not use it next time I see him. Maybe it will come home with me.....

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I follow the reloading forums daily on a number of forums and surprisingly I see very little written or commented on about the RCBS progressive presses. Are they that hard to find or are they just that unpopular?

About a year ago there was a 4X4 I believe for sale locally but it was missing some parts and didn't know if they could be found so I passed on it.
    I touched on this earlier, my problem with RCBS is they seem to make a “flavor of the year” when it comes to progressive presses. They crank them out with much fanfare, then dump them a year or two later. Don’t try to improve or upgrade them, just dump them then come out with a new model. It sucks that most of their stuff is top notch then they do this on the progressive side.

sawinredneck, Sometimes I think people rush into buying a press and equipment w/o really giving much thought as to what is really needed to get the work done that they need done. Same can be said for fishermen and boats! Kinda like the "I gotta have this!"

I'm one of those that may only load 200 or 300 at a time and not do it again for a month and I know this would be the case when I restarted loading again. As I only shoot pistols, because that is where my interests lay, I knew from before that I didn't want to do this on a single stage press even though I also knew I could easily do this on one. I had it in my mind that a turret press was the way to go and being cheap and on a fixed income I also knew I'd be looking for used equipment. So as it turned out, while watching the auctions and the classifieds on the forums I came across a complete Lee Pro1000 with dies, measure and everything for just over $90.00 shipped to my door. Heck I couldn't even touch a Turret press with dies for money. So I bought it. And I haven't been disappointed or regretful one bit.

Since then I have added another shell plate carrier, 3 shell plates, the small shell feeder, 3 sets of Lee dies and turrets, and two more powder measures, the shell feeder tubes and the collator. Adding it all up including the original press purchase I have about $300.00 invested and can load for 5 different calibers.

So yeah I have Lee stuff and I haven't shed a single tear. So now instead of loading 200/300 of one caliber a month I might be loading 2 or 3 calibers a month.
    This is why I ask so many questions to new reloaders when they ask what press to get. I bought a Lee turret that’s more than enough for my needs, then was offered a deal on a Dillon 550/MEC JR, combo that was too good to pass up. I showed my son videos of the 550 and he didn’t think I was gaining much. After getting it rebuilt, dealing with their customer service and using it, my plan of reselling it went out the window!

When I see new people asking about what to buy I tell then research them all, ask questions and watch the videos. Heaven knows there are enough of them out there. Then I also suggest that after they get an idea of what they want don't be afraid to go to ebay or the forum classifieds and buy used. I don't care which make model it is, it's hard to wear out a press. Neglect and abuse is a different story.

By buying used equipment I have been able to save enough money over the past 2 years that during that time I've purchased 2 new pistols. The most recent just arrived yesterday. It's an EAA Witness 45ACP all metal frame. What good is reloading equipment if there is nothing to shoot!

Boolit Master

RCBS "Progressives"

I touched on this earlier, my problem with RCBS is they seem to make a “flavor of the year” when it comes to progressive presses. They crank them out with much fanfare, then dump them a year or two later. Don’t try to improve or upgrade them, just dump them then come out with a new model. It sucks that most of their stuff is top notch then they do this on the progressive side.
    I bought a Piggyback (1st gen) and struggled thru the clap trap linkage/adaption of the Uniflo pm that dumps powder on every stroke regardless of any brass under it.
    RCBS TRIED to fix that on the PB II by adding more linkage/clap trap complexity

I added a quick release pin into that linkage so I could cycle the press without dumping powder to clear any oopses, and that made it somewhat bearable to use.
    Then I installed a Lee power thru the expander die and Lee Auto disc pm...a game changer

And when bullet feeders became all the rage, I bought the Hornady in several calibers and use tubes to feed them.
    Switching to coated/no lube groove and jacketed bullets made those bullet feeding dies very happy...
    So now my left hand one task is to load the case, and my right hand never leaves the lever.

The primer system has a resettable cam/wire that "unsets" if something jams the primer slide, not sure why they didn't use that design on the newest 5/7 chuckers instead of something that breaks/requires replacement .
    And they still use the Uniflo pm instead of designing something new, Lee has designed/perfected several NEW pm in the mean time

So now I buy any piggybacks I find at a reasonable price online or at gun shows, even bought a Ammomaster Auto that is about the same design/uses the same plates as the piggybacks.
    RCBS added an index pin along the way so shell plates need a hole for that if the press has one, I have both, and see no difference in the operation.
    Quick change-over, remove 3 top plate screws, remove/replace top plate with different caliber/dies

Sometimes I regret going down the RCBS rabbit hole, even bought a Pro 1000 (works great) when I couldn't find a piggyback to leave setup for 45ACP, but still buy them when the price is right.
    My RCBS story,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-16-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234