RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Researching progressive press options

Frosted Boolits

Ive owned 2 Hornadys LNL APs and at one time had 4 Dillon 550s. I really liked the Hornadys a lot, but at the end of the day the 550s gave me less hassle. Now I do most all of my reloading on my 2 remaining 550s (one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers). The lack of the 5th station has never bothered me one bit. Also, I have used the stock powder funnels (expanders) with no ill effects on accuracy (shooting cast). But, as others have said, there are members here that can make custom funnels for you. Good luck!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

The OP has a problem:it is that HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME. No reloading press is going to solve that problem. Like many others here, I have used many different presses over 60 years of reloading and there is a big blue Dillon 550 bolted to my bench now and I will own no other brand. (I do wish it was a 650 though.) But that's just me. That said, a Dillon will MAXIMIZE the limited time the OP has, but it may not be enough.

People seem to always find the time to do those things they consider to be important in life. If the OP considers shooting and reloading to be important, he will find the time to do it. If not, that is his choice and decision to make.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Prince View Post
    The OP has a problem:it is that HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME. No reloading press is going to solve that problem. Like many others here, I have used many different presses over 60 years of reloading and there is a big blue Dillon 550 bolted to my bench now and I will own no other brand. (I do wish it was a 650 though.) But that's just me. That said, a Dillon will MAXIMIZE the limited time the OP has, but it may not be enough.

People seem to always find the time to do those things they consider to be important in life. If the OP considers shooting and reloading to be important, he will find the time to do it. If not, that is his choice and decision to make.
    Disagree with progressive presses not making time. Unless the press is not working properly.

People who perform operations off a progressive press are either anal, or have presses that do not work.
    Don Verna

Banned

"People who perform operations off a progressive press are either anal, or have presses that do not work."

This seems overwrought. I think there is room in the world for priming, deccaping, charging, or whatever, off the press.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "People who perform operations off a progressive press are either anal, or have presses that do not work."

This seems overwrought. I think there is room in the world for priming, deccaping, charging, or whatever, off the press.
    There is room, but not the need.

As the OP found in his other thread, there are m-die options for Dillon. I don’t find having four stations a huge limitation on the 550.
    What I haven’t heard, or asked, what are you wanting to load? Handgun, rifle, both? This matters in your choice of press.
    But here’s my opinion, and it’s worth what you payed for it.
    I love RCBS, but I will never own one of their progressive machines! Hear me out, they are great in every area BUT progressive presses. They come out with their latest and greatest then flop or fanfare, dump it. There’s been a very long track record of this, then how do you get parts? Customer service is only as good as the availability of parts. Sorry, just how I feel about it.
    Hornady isn’t a lot better, but they at least try keeping some parts around. A friend of mine has a LNL, he’s making it work for handgun ammo, but he’s had to make several modifications to do so.
    The Lee loadmaster, well, you just want to sit down and make ammo as time permits, this isn’t the machine for you. I don’t know enough about the new press to even make an educated guess.
    The Dillon 550 is great for most, easy to change calibers and one of the most comprehensive list of caliber conversions you’ll ever find. But it’s on the slow side for production. The 650, I just can’t justify and it wouldn’t suit my needs, I don’t load enough. It’s slower, and considerably more expensive for caliber swaps. But for your 200 rounds, once set up and going, you are talking 15 min?
    The Lee classic cast turret might be another option to consider, much cheaper, much simpler to set up and adjust and 200rds 45min?
    They all have pros and cons, you need to figure out how much, and of what, you want to load, how much time you want to spend doing it, and how much your willing to spend for that convince.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    SAW, you hit all my points. Thank you

Yes, round count is a fairly low requirement at the moment. It is the time at the press that I am wishing to minimize. However, I do hope to compete once the kids are a bit older and independent. I do foresee high round count in the future. There are IDPA clubs and SAS in my area that I'd like to join in a few years.

I mainly shoot 45acp. In fact, that is probably all I'll load on the progressive. I do enjoy a light diet of 44spl, 44russian and 44 mag. I'd be happy to load those calibers on my single stage since I only "sip" those cartridges. I also load bottle neck rifle from time to time. I'll likely do that more often if I can free some of the press time that my 45acp single-stage loading demands.

Low round months are generally close to 200rnds. High months may be closer to 600. It all depends on family obligations, the work that needs to be done on my land and my crazy work schedule.

I have considered a turret press. In fact, sometimes I think that will meet my need at this moment, which makes them very tempting. BUT, when I finally get to the point where I can shoot higher round count (1000+ per month), I fear the turret will need to be replaced.

I suppose I am trying to skip the turret concept for fear that I'll end up buying twice in the long run

Banned
    You're going to get a phonebook's worth of responses but as a dedicated Dillon 550 user, I can strongly endorse the 550.

I prefer the manual index of the 550 and 4 stations is plenty. I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on a 550 and the press is well designed and bullet proof. The only significant failure I had over more than 20 years worth of use was a cracked bell crank. I contacted Dillon and asked to purchase a replacement, they sent me a new one for free and I think I had it on the press within 72 hours of the failure.

Dillon a great company to deal with, they stand behind their products and their stuff is top notch.

Boolit Master
    I started at about 50-60 rounds an hour with a 4 hole Classic Cast about a month ago. I weigh & add powder, off press. If I just go to just throwing powder, after setting up the Uniflow or the Lee powder measures for volume, I am up to 100+ an hour. I just got this turret recently & now am looking at the new Lee for my jump to progressive. ( Only 2 calibers though for the progressive I am looking at( the new Lee), 9MM & 45ACP. I will do the rest on the other presses.).

I think I said I was watching this topic earlier & I still am. I like the way I load & pretty much take my time. I am not looking for more speed that much, just want to be able to make up the rounds I shoot the most, quickly, "if" I want to. ( "Quickly", meaning one with every pull of the press arm like the progressives.) Like maybe the oldest son stops over & wants to go shooting & I am low on the one(s) he wants to shoot. So, just make some up... For me, I plan ahead more & make up rounds when I see that I am gonna be shooting them & not so much spur of the moment like when he stops over.

Our "mileage varies", but I think that since the Classic 4 hole turret is pretty fast & you can basically, once ya got it figured out, make a couple hundred rounds in a couple hours or even faster, that should get ya by until ya decide on & "need" the progressive of your choice.

Suggest ya consider getting one of those, ( About $105-125.00 press only/ one turret, plus around 12-13.00 each turret extra) first & see how it works for ya. Then if ya want a progressive, you can always use the turret for the ones ya want to go slower on & the progressive for faster production of more of the other rounds y want. You can always sell the turret( I wouldn't) if ya had to...

Temporary fix that goes part way to where ya want to be & not a lot out of pocket.

G'Luck! Regardless of your decision(s)!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 03-14-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Corrected "minute" to "hour" in first sentence.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    The comments about the filth of primers and possible left over media in the Dillon does sound problematic. It sounds like keeping my single stage for the size/prime option will be a clean decision
    I do not own a progressive, but I been searching such as the OP.
    I seem to have noticed that the priming station is the biggest headache no matter the brand nor style of press, single stage, or turret, or progressive, or brand X,Y, Z.
    From what I have gleened from my searches, it seems that if you had primed brass to start with, then it really wouldnt matter which press you had going forward; because they all can drop powder, and seat a bullet equally easily.
    How many times have you heard of brandX press doesnt like to seat brandZ primers, or maybe not like brandY brass????
    How many times you heard that?

However, nobody posts about not being able to drop powder & seat a bullet.

Boolit Master
    Hands down, it just looks like Dillon is the way to go. Thanks everyone. I'm glad this didn't turn into a "chevy vs. ford" type thread.
    I'm no longer concerned about not having a fifth hole for an M die. It looks like Dillon has that part figured out pretty well if so many seasoned casters are satisfied with it.
    There have been an overwhelming amount of positive experiences with customer service. Apparently Dillon customers don't usually have to pay to replace parts... and it sounds like the parts don't need much replacing.

I've done a little price shopping... So far, Graf and Sons has the best deal on a 550c. 488.00 shipped to my door with a 45acp conversion kit. That is after an NRA round up. I think this will happen soon.

I have an older model Lee Pro1000 that is fitted with a case feeder/collator and is used purely for depriming. It's amazing how much crud builds up just from this process. From there they go into a wet tumbler so I only have clean cases going into the reloading press. The Pro is actually pretty good for this job and makes short work of a pile of cases. For reloading I use a LoadMaster (which took a while to get sorted) and works well for my needs.

A fellow club member bought a Dillon 650 (with case/boolit feeder) and reckons it's great and just keeps working. He loads for his wife as well so they go through a bit of ammo (Cowboy Action shooting). While I would have liked one too, all up it would have cost me probably 3x the LoadMaster!! Here in Oz that means lots of $$$$, hence the LM. My suggestion, for the long haul, would be the 650, but failing that the 550 is probably a good choice.

But I'm still happy with my LM .

Boolit Master
    Hands down, it just looks like Dillon is the way to go. Thanks everyone. I'm glad this didn't turn into a "chevy vs. ford" type thread.
    I'm no longer concerned about not having a fifth hole for an M die. It looks like Dillon has that part figured out pretty well if so many seasoned casters are satisfied with it.
    There have been an overwhelming amount of positive experiences with customer service. Apparently Dillon customers don't usually have to pay to replace parts... and it sounds like the parts don't need much replacing.

I've done a little price shopping... So far, Graf and Sons has the best deal on a 550c. 488.00 shipped to my door with a 45acp conversion kit. That is after an NRA round up. I think this will happen soon.
    Glad to read you have decided!
    G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

I own 3 lnls and two 550s. Ive owned square deals, loadmasters, pro 1000s, and stars. Hands down the press that will have you pulling the least hair out of your head is the 550. Might be a bit slower in theory but youll spend so much more time loading and so much less dinking with your press that youll find you make as many rounds an hour with a 550 as you do with anyting short of a 650 or 1050. Bang for the buck its the hands down best press on the market.

i feel like a target a little LOL.....when i typed this, i wasn't councious about how this forum is that different than any other forum in the sens that the forum users here are much more mature than what we can experiment generally across the web.

as for the press,congrat, you'll shoulder tap your self in the short term.

most premium offers coming from the big players on the market are quite capable machines, but dillon is a few little steps ahead in every aspects : functionning, reliability, CS, technical support....etcetc.....

another factor to consider that might play a little if ever something isn't right being: WHO you bought your new press from !!! ; when i bought my 650, there was many places who were stocking them, and at the end, when considering the post purchase service factor , i've decided to go with rob bagnato and CZ custom shop,and the reason was obvious to me : price,and service!! excepting a direct buy from dillon, you need to consider the fact that dillon is probably even more responsive than averagely when the purchase has been made from one of their long time support dealers. Hobdell shop is dillon's next door, then it is like you bought it from dillon , but at a lesser price.

this being said, now, pull the handle and enjoy the look of a press spitting a perfect round at each stroke without a single hurdle.

Boolit Master
    Glockfan, you are right. This topic would have led to WW3 in certain other forums. In those forums, folks hang their pride on the brand names that sit on their bench. This is why I chose to ask here. Perfect boolits are the thing of pride in this forum. A press is just the means we use to load them.

The OP has a problem:it is that HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME. No reloading press is going to solve that problem.
    I put this together, I can load 300 rounds for the match in the morning while I fold a load of clothes from the dryer and start another in the wash/dryer, put the dishes away and start another load in the dishwasher and get my gear ready for the match.

Just have to stop by the reloading room every 100 rounds to add primers, bullets and brass to the feeders but that only takes seconds not minutes.

That works up until you don’t have the time to go shooting, then your out of luck.

Definitely less fiddle factor with the Dillons. I have 650s and 550s. The 550s are plenty fast for most people and caliber conversions are cheap,easy and virtually unlimited. The no bs warranty is truly no bs in my experience.

Dogdoc

Boolit Master
    Its like the old saying. Run what ya brung.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast