RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee new auto prime

Boolit Grand Master

Lee new auto prime

Rant on.

It has been quite a while since I've seen a fail this bad. My old Lee auto prime has given nearly 3 decades and countless thousands of rounds of use. I actually inherited it from my grandpa. It finally got to the point where I was bottoming out the lever, and it still wouldn't seat deep enough. I finally bought a new lee auto prime. At first I was impressed. I actually like the folding tray, I got sick of spilling primers as my favorite brand, Federal, has trays too large for the old one. The rest of it looked nice, and it even has a nice plastic case. All good until I went to use it. I was using CCI 550's to prime some handgun, I got a couple, then it started jamming up. It was getting 2 in at a time somehow, going in sideways, etc. I gave up that day. Later I tried some Winchester small rifle for some 223. This time it was consistently going in crooked. Again I put it up. Next I decided to try the large size, with some Federal 150's, and the frickin things don't even fit up the elevator. I mean, it's not even close. I tried to force it, but all it does is bend the stupid rubber "elevator". I took it all apart, and tried to chamfer all the corners, made sure it was smooth. Still no dice. So I measure the opening, it's about .030" SMALLER than the diameter of just a primer. The small primer one is about the diameter of a primer, but still not large enough for a primer to fall through. I returned it to the store, and got a whole new set. I go to try some large pistol again, and nada. Brand new set, if anything it was worse. At that point I walked to the door and chucked it straight in the tall grass. I am a long time LEE fan, but this thing needs to be pulled from market immediately.

Rant over.

About a week later I'm looking into the RCBS primer, when I see something about interchangeable parts. I walked back out and grabbed the *** from the yard, and brought it in. Without thinking, I pulled the handle off, and got the idea to try it on the old one. Not only does it fit, it 100% fixed my old auto primer! All I had done is worn out the socket of the old handle. As long as I don't break the connecting rod, my old one is set for another 30 years.

I really hope Lee can come up with a hand primer again. If safety is the reason, just add a little divider that comes up. That is all that is needed. Better yet, take the Mc Donald's approach. Put a danger sticker on the old one that works.

Do yourself a favor and get the Frankford arsenal hand primer. You'll be very pleased. I've tried most after my old lee died, and it's wonderful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get the Frankford arsenal hand primer. You'll be very pleased. I've tried most after my old lee died, and it's wonderful.
    I've had most of the priming tools Lee has made, all of the hand primers except the original with screw in shell holders. I also have had the Ram prime II and the bench priming tool of recent manufacture. I've not really had issues with any of them. I did just receive the Frankford arsenal hand primer as I liked the idea of being able to adjust the depth of the primer. This feature alone makes it a desirable addition and I'm looking forward to using it.

Boolit Grand Master

I've considered sending it back to Lee, but I bought the thing for about $14, and I don't think Lee would reimburse the shipping cost. I already exchanged it once at the store, the guy was nice enough, I'd hate to do it a second time. The problem with it is plain as day, the "elevator shaft" is smaller than a primer itself. This was the case with both my first set of large and small primers, and my second set. Maybe I can get Lee to send me another set of those.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Rant on.

It has been quite a while since I've seen a fail this bad. My old Lee auto prime has given nearly 3 decades and countless thousands of rounds of use. I actually inherited it from my grandpa. It finally got to the point where I was bottoming out the lever, and it still wouldn't seat deep enough. I finally bought a new lee auto prime. At first I was impressed. I actually like the folding tray, I got sick of spilling primers as my favorite brand, Federal, has trays too large for the old one. The rest of it looked nice, and it even has a nice plastic case. All good until I went to use it. I was using CCI 550's to prime some handgun, I got a couple, then it started jamming up. It was getting 2 in at a time somehow, going in sideways, etc. I gave up that day. Later I tried some Winchester small rifle for some 223. This time it was consistently going in crooked. Again I put it up. Next I decided to try the large size, with some Federal 150's, and the frickin things don't even fit up the elevator. I mean, it's not even close. I tried to force it, but all it does is bend the stupid rubber "elevator". I took it all apart, and tried to chamfer all the corners, made sure it was smooth. Still no dice. So I measure the opening, it's about .030" SMALLER than the diameter of just a primer. The small primer one is about the diameter of a primer, but still not large enough for a primer to fall through. I returned it to the store, and got a whole new set. I go to try some large pistol again, and nada. Brand new set, if anything it was worse. At that point I walked to the door and chucked it straight in the tall grass. I am a long time LEE fan, but this thing needs to be pulled from market immediately.

Rant over.

About a week later I'm looking into the RCBS primer, when I see something about interchangeable parts. I walked back out and grabbed the *** from the yard, and brought it in. Without thinking, I pulled the handle off, and got the idea to try it on the old one. Not only does it fit, it 100% fixed my old auto primer! All I had done is worn out the socket of the old handle. As long as I don't break the connecting rod, my old one is set for another 30 years.

I really hope Lee can come up with a hand primer again. If safety is the reason, just add a little divider that comes up. That is all that is needed. Better yet, take the Mc Donald's approach. Put a danger sticker on the old one that works.
    Don't throw it away. I had the same type and it had the same problem. At that time in my life I didn't waste money on anything but primers, powder and lead. At the very bottom where the handle slips over the cross pin was my problem. It had worn enough to reduce the max travel of the ram. I cut a thin strip of copper sheet that would fir between sides and bent into U clip shape and reassembled. Used it for another 15 years, it just recently wore through and I had to replace the shim again but it had been in use for over 40 years total.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have the new Lee Bench Prime. Its a great idea poorly executed. Biggest problem with mine has been that the primers often don't feed by gravity, you have to shake the tray to get them to load. Also, the housing for the feed and seat mechanism is made of a cheap, brittle plastic that cracks easily. The small primer unit on mine cracked the first time I used it. I bought the RCBS universal hand priming tool and it is just superb, all I use for small primers nowadays. I've had better luck with the large priming unit on the bench prime. It hasn't cracked yet and this thing seats them really firmly. If you have a problem with large primers not seating all the way, this tool will fix it. I'm going to keep using the Lee for large primers and use the RCBS for small.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Don't throw it away. I had the same type and it had the same problem. At that time in my life I didn't waste money on anything but primers, powder and lead. At the very bottom where the handle slips over the cross pin was my problem. It had worn enough to reduce the max travel of the ram. I cut a thin strip of copper sheet that would fir between sides and bent into U clip shape and reassembled. Used it for another 15 years, it just recently wore through and I had to replace the shim again but it had been in use for over 40 years total.
    Not a chance I'm throwing my the old auto-prime away. Like I said, the new auto-prime handle fits, and totally cured my problem.

I have no problem with shaking to feed primers, you have to with the old one too. The problem is a primer will not physically fit through the new lee auto-prime. I emailed Lee, and within hours, I got a notice that two new assemblies are on the way. Like I said, I am a big Lee fan, but fingers crossed the 3rd times the charm for this tool.

Boolit Grand Master

When my lee auto prime wore out I looked at it and decided fix it instead of replace it. The socket in the handle had worn and the links mating ends also had wear. I se the handle up in the mill and opened it up fitting a steel sleeve in it. the link I cut down and fit bronze sleeves to. these had a cutout in them to allow for the stem. I epoxied the sleeves in place and hand polished the surfaces. This is the smoothest tool I have felt and it should last forever now. I put a drop of light oil on the joints every so often and the better materials should last forever

Boolit Master
    Back when you could still buy replacement parts for the auto prime. I replaced 2 or 3 of the rams. Still one new one just in case. A couple years ago the bottom wore out and let the ram poke thru the handle. A section of 300 win mag case was a good fit and with a little JB weld it's been going a couple more years.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live