RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My USPS story.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a clerk refuse a package because the shipping label was covered with clear tape. Tne reason he gave was that the shiny surface wouldn't allow automated readers to scan the address. I took it to The PO in the next town and they took it with no problem. I wonder how the automated readers do with water smudged labels?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I had a clerk refuse a package because the shipping label was covered with clear tape. Tne reason he gave was that the shiny surface wouldn't allow automated readers to scan the address. I took it to The PO in the next town and they took it with no problem. I wonder how the automated readers do with water smudged labels?
    I read something from the PO once that warned against clear taped labels not being able to be read by a scanner. But I put clear tape over all of my labels. Never had a problem with the PO or the package arriving where it should.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I normally clear tape my labels, as all my labels are hand made. I've never had a problem.

in Remebrance
    Bazoo, FWIW, as a former FFL and a retired rural carrier, it doesn't matter what state you're in. USPS regs do not allow a carrier to carry under any circumstances, even if a CCL or a lawman, which I was part time. Most carriers use their own vehicle but it is considered postal property when carrying mail. They will fire you if the weapon is found, Rediculous, ain't it. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Goatwhiskers, thank you for your post. I was a state certified concealed carry instructor for 3 years. Its been a few years now since i've reviewed it, but It says, paraphrase, in the handbook, that a mail carrier can carry with their CCDW license during the course of their duties except actually in postal buildings. Now, I dont know the legality of that on the federal level, or the state level really, but its what I was taught. Im not intending any disrespect or argument to you sir. Its possible I remember incorrectly, and its possible I remember correctly with the information being incorrect. I cant find the info online... but I'll try to find it in the book and report back with this information.

I dont doubt that the USPS regs say you cant. It is quite ridiculous thats for sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    You only need to leave the bar code un-taped for the scanner to track the package.

Boolit Buddy
    The problem with explaining the regs to the "good Christian lady" at the post office is that is she not only a woman, you have to argue with her AND God.

Boolit Grand Master

The problem with automated readers is, they are always right, even when they are wrong. There is no sensible reading human to thoughtfully correct an error. Those bar codes are fool proof when they are correct, but all it takes to screw them up is a reflection.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I've shipped quite a few rifles and shotguns over the years most all through several local *** . I've never once have had to say what was in that long box nor did they ask . All I was ever ask is if it was liquid perrisable or potentially hazardous or whatever they ask, I reply nope! I hand the nice lady my cash I get a receipt and we part ways with a smile ,It's totally legal and that's their regs. They have no right to ask you the contents just because the box is a certain shape. If they do just and you feel compelled to answer say it's machined steel parts! You won't be lying , Now UPS is a real pain and won't ever ship with them again .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I was told that USPS have the right to open any packages they want . Not sure if they would be more inclined to investigate a long skinny box than any other though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I was told that USPS have the right to open any packages they want . Not sure if they would be more inclined to investigate a long skinny box than any other though.
    I'm not sure if they have a right with out some sort of probable cause of the item being illegal or in some sort of violation of the law . But as long as you have it unloaded and no ammo in the container and a copy of the receiving FFL in the box and that's who your mailing to your legal
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12