Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My USPS story.

My USPS story.

I seen another thread regarding how the USPS is messing up and I thought of this, and figured i'd start my own thread instead of hijacking another.

So, I know my post master in the small town I live in. We are a side town on a city of about 30k. She's not into guns, but knows I am and I ship gun stuff and parts. We were talking about restricted shipping items (ammo) and she said you cant ship a gun without a license. I told her that you can indeed ship a rifle or shotgun without an FFL, but not a handgun. She said she called down to the Etown (city) post office and asked them and was told by them that she could not ship any guns. The phone range and i was in a hurry, so I left. Im going to take her a copy of the of the USPS web page about it. She's a real nice christian lady and seems fairly conservative.

I may be able to help inform her but It sure frustrated me. She's the post master of a small office, but she aught to know this sort of thing. And the larger parent office in Etown should surely know what they can and cant do.

~Bazoo

I have 4 available post offices within a 30 minute drive of me. NONE of them understand firearm shipping regulations.

I have adopted my own means for dealing with them. In short, I offer -0- more information than what they ask for.

Seems to keep us all happy.

YMMV.

Banned
    I sort of agree with Hannibal, sometimes the best course of action is to simply offer as little information as possible. Not because you are attempting to deceive someone or do something illegal, but rather because it is easier to just avoid the entire issue.

Most people gain their knowledge of the law from other people as opposed to reading the law themselves. Sometimes they are informed by knowledgeable folks and sometimes they are not.

Now, in Bazoo's case, he may have a chance to educate that postmaster. It sounds like the postmaster is at least open to information.
    It may take some time and patience but at least she's civil and open to learning.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Maybe you should offer up a link, posted here, that shows the exact place where the postal Red about shipping a gun is explained.... just so we are all on the same page...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    At a local PO a few years ago I was told that only "Big Dealers" could ship a firearm.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Maybe you should offer up a link, posted here, that shows the exact place where the postal Red about shipping a gun is explained.... just so we are all on the same page...

Marko
    Not a bad Idea sir. I do plan to print this out for her. I dont have her email address, or even if she has one.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

I forgot till just now, that one of the previous employees, or postmasters, I cant remember which, was an FFL and we talked guns a lot. I do remember his name, and im sure the current PM will know him, So, i'll see if she'll talk to him about it also.

What I have a hard time understanding is that to bring a firearm into a postal faciluty would be breaking federal law so you would have to have it picked up? I am not walking into a PO and shipping a firearm no matter whether it is OK by USPS regulations or not.

I ran into the same problem. Post masters rules regardless of usps regulations. I tried to get him to look up regs, as I did, but claimed he knew them. I sent a complaint to his boss and two days later the post master calls me and says that I and his boss nave it wrong. I sent another complaint to his boss. One week later the NEW postmaster at my post office sends me a letter to assure me that she would be happy to ship legal firearms for me. Been happily shipping ever since. The old postmaster was transferred some where else. Hopefully delivering mail in the hood. I hate ignorance when one should know what the law and regs are, but I despise one who does but have their on agenda.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    What I have a hard time understanding is that to bring a firearm into a postal faciluty would be breaking federal law so you would have to have it picked up? I am not walking into a PO and shipping a firearm no matter whether it is OK by USPS regulations or not.
    Well theres that thing about being a licensed dealer of firearms Im thinking.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Off subject. A little while back I told the PM that I liked her so much I disarmed myself to come see her. She said, she didnt mind if I carried. I did tell her it was against federal law. Also in this state, postal carriers can carry while on duty, and i've talked to the PM about that a couple times. Interesting that folks involved arent briefed on such important things ya know.

I dont remember where it is, but there in the legal code there is something to the affect of "you cant bring a firearm into a post office, except for any legal purpose". I've heard some argue that is their basis for CCing there. I think mailing firearms would be on solid legal ground there, whereas carrying would not be.

Boolit Master
    I live in a "twin cities" area where we have 2 smallish post offices. The smaller of these has staff who generally know the regs plus one older lady who, I suspect, dislikes everything concerning the movement of firearms through their system. She routinely demands greater elements (type of packaging, method of shipping, etc.) from customers than the other clerks do. The larger post office is staffed with people who know the regulations well but the wait line is always much longer than the other stop. I choose where to stop depending on how much time I can invest in each visit and whether I am in the mood to tolerate an untrained (uncontrolled?) clerk.

Boolit Master
    It seems that many women reach an age and have the attitude that they are very angry with the world. I don't know if it is the fact that life didn't turn out like they hoped or if they are just naturally mean and nasty. God help us all when they sit behind a bureaucratic desk dealing with the public.

I talked to the the PM lady again the other day about it. Told her what I found out, and got her email address so I could link her to it.

Super Moderator

................As life continues on I've been selling of some unused firearms and other gun related odds 'n' ends the past several months. I had an 01 FFL for close to 20 years, but that was used for 'Receiving' and there wasn't any shipping out going on. So far as the post office goes in my town, the gals working the front counter are all very nice, and when I had my machining business I was in there quite often.

You cannot ship a handgun unless you have a licence, and the consignee also possesses one, but I've not had to ship one. Long guns only. When I go in with the long skinny box, I always tell them it's a rifle "And here is the FFL", and they might glance at it in my hand as I wave it, but never take it to look at the address on it. They usually don't even look up. One gal says all she's interested in is "where is the ammo" with a smile as I say, "At home on the bench.

It was just after UPS came up with the rule that handguns HAD to ship Red Label (due to the high rate of theft by UPS employees) that I had to ship a 58 cal Enfield muzzle loader back to Navy Arms. They'd shipped me the wrong one. The gal at the OOPS depot (not a franchisee, but the real UPS depot) quoted me some outrageous amount of money. I said it's a rifle and NOT a pistol, plus it's also a muzzle loader and not even considered a REAL firearm. She had an attitude and was having nothing to do with it.

I drove back home (about 8 miles) and called UPS Corp. Explained the deal and they asked me if I knew her name, which I did. They put me on hold for several minutes, picked back up and told me to take it back. Then they gave me an authorization number for FREE SHIPPING for my aggravation, which I thought was very nice. When I arrived back at the UPS depot and went inside, she saw me in line. When I got to the counter she disappeared into the back. A bit later a different gal came out (very businesslike) and processed the authorization number I provided. Since it shipped for free I added $1000 insurance to it, just in case

But speaking of USPS, I've been very happy with hardly ever a problem.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

To a certain group, everything with a barrel is an AR Howitzer in a supersonic speed, firing a cop killer round, fed by a 100 rnd clip. They aren't about to let logic or facts cloud their judgment, or sway their opinions. There is almost no reason to continue conversing with them other than to infuriate them into a rage, although it is fun sometimes. It's a shame that such people hold jobs that interfere with our rights, but it is what it is.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I've been lucky. I never had a problem shipping firearms with USPS. I have a few good customers ship long guns to with me no problem for finish work, and I've had a couple of numbskulls that have shipped handguns to USPS me even though they don't hold a FFL license. I have always headed in with them packaged and always have filled out form 1508 in advance for each shipment. I have even shipped a couple handguns I picked in California from a dealer there to my license address in Nevada. I didn't want to lug them along for the rest of the trip. I've never been asked by USPS to see a copy of my FFL.

I've talked to the lady now several more times. I've printed a paper copy of the USPS info for her, and i've now emailed her that and the ATF summary of mailing firearms. She isnt 100% sold yet, but is a lot closer than she was. Hard to argue with the proof if you're not blinded by agenda issues. Shes a nice Christian lady.

I had one single clerk in a fairly large post office who really didn't like my boxes of lead. One time she wouldn't take a SFRB because "it had tape all over it". What it had was fiber tape on all folds/corners, and over the label it had clear tape. I left, printed off the USPS recommendations for taping packages which fit this package to a "T" and went back. She wasn't at the counter so I asked the person who waited on me to pass these papers on to her. Never any more problems. Although they still prefer brass shipments to lead. Tell the truth so do I when it comes to carrying them in.

I think the regulations have changed over the years, gotten more restrictive, and complicated. Not surprising that a clerk wouldn't know what specific rules apply to the less common items. Especially if they started out with less restrictive rules and recall the USPS memos or announcements of more restrictions. Being prepared with a printed copy of the appropriate information from the USPS site can and should smooth a lot of issues over.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I did it once in Eufaula. The guy was very polite and said no. I had previously printed chapter and verse from the USPS website and showed it to him. He got this huge book down and glory be there it was! The rifle went off as scheduled... He never questioned me again.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast