Thread: New Steve Brooks Mould

Boolit Master

New Steve Brooks Mould

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B07DE23-9AC3-4724-B0C0-83F5ED214744.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	216148

New 465 gr. Steve Brooks mould has produced 10 shots in about 4 inches at 200 yards today in my Shiloh .45-70. This a great improvement over the 365 gr. I had been using for 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you will be able to cut that group in half w/o too much trouble.

Boolit Master
    I bought Brooks mold on ebay and it produces groups close to 1" at 100 meters.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

My Brooks mould cast really nice, bullets are very consistant and its a joy to work with.

Boolit Master
    With iron sights I’m not confident I can get consistently tighter groups. This Brooks mould has tightened my groups down by more than half. There was a heavy cloud cover Friday, these old eyes prefer lots of lighting.

Boolit Master
    This pic I posted turned 90 degrees somehow. The shots on the left were actually the top two first shots. The shots basically hits progressively lower throughout the 10 shot group. On the pic that would be progressively from the left to the right. I was using a blow tube, I thought would was fine, there was the typical March moisture in the air. I am considering trying the patch between shots.

Vendor Sponsor

If that was a two hundred yard group on it's left side, and you started with a clean barrel? - DON'T give up the blow tube!

You shot a fine group and you are just seeing what it can do after the barrel settles in. I once shot a week long championship match and never put a rod through the rifle... blow-tubed the whole seven days.
    Once the barrel is in steadystate and shooting it, will start putting them in there.

Back to your target:
    Those eight shots are wide from the wind maybe, but they are no more than MOA high. Stick with it.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Some barrels take more shots than others to settle into a constant condition. My Shiloh in .40-65 will always throw the first shot but then groups them all together ( however, it will almost always put the first shot high and to the left, maybe a minute or possibly two ). My Shiloh in .45-90 takes two to three shots before it will shoot really excellent groups. This is with wiping between shots by the way. I also precondition the bore by wiping before the first shot.

If you go to a long range match with a limit on sighters, keep an eye on the top shooters. You'll often see several people who will intentionally put a shot or two into the berm before going for the first sighter. This is so that you don't collect useless info from your sighters before the barrel has settled in.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Great advice guys thanks! I really appreciate your input. I’m heading to Rattlesnake to try a 3 day match this weekend since my regular BPCR match director is shooting the Oregon State championship this month.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Great advice guys thanks! I really appreciate your input. I’m heading to Rattlesnake to try a 3 day match this weekend since my regular BPCR match director is shooting the Oregon State championship this month.
    Oregon is this month? They must have some early spring weather down there! Might have to put that on the list for some future year.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold

Oregon State Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Oregon is this month? They must have some early spring weather down there! Might have to put that on the list for some future year.
    Oregon State silhouette match is in September. The match this month is Bang O Rama. A regional shoot at Vale Oregon. I be headed there in the morning. I believe Kerry has a few slots open this weekend if anyone is interested. Good Shooting, Mike