Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOE 30 XCB, 30x60 XCB, 600 yards

Boolit Grand Master

Waco

Actually it wasn't that much "uphill". It was less than 3 degrees uphill from the 600 yard shooting position to the target. The 1st picture in my post was taken at the base of the hill less than 50 yards horizontal distance from the target. From the shooting position at 600 yards it also is a slight decline to the base of that hill as seen in the 2nd picture. Have to admit it's easier getting down into a prone position than getting up anymore. Also I've learned to take a bit higher position by using a higher front rest and rear sand bag. If you enlarger the 4th picture you'll see the 2 boards under the rear sand bag to raise it up. Thus I've learned to get into as comfortable yet stable position as I can.

Even then I try not to stay in position "on the rifle" too long. I lay a bit on my side relieving the strain on the neck between shots while letting the barrel cool. Even then I don't stay down in position much longer than 20 minutes any more. Appreciate the concern.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

So how big is the target, and how tall is the wind flag?. Thanks.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    So how big is the target, and how tall is the wind flag?. Thanks.
    The target backing (cardboard) is roughly 4' x 4'. Glued on to it is the old NRA High Power 600 yard "B" Decimal target repair center. The bull (black) is 24" in diameter, the "X" ring is 6", the 10 ring is 12", the 9 ring is 18", the 8 ring (black) is 24" and the 7 ring is 36". The new "B" Decimal target (not used in this test) is the same except the bull (black) also covers the 7 ring.

The flag pole is 16' tall and the flag is 10' long x 40" wide.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Dang. So how much wind does it take to move a 10’x40” flag?
    We use Uber thin 1 1/2” vinyl streamers. They pick up the slightest breeze.
    They come in neon colors too. Easy to see.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Such range flags have been used for well over 100 years. I believe they are still required during NRA High Power Matches. It really does not take much wind to move the flag. I use the wind calculation "cheat sheet" pictured when shooting. When my wife made the flag for me I set the pole up within a few feet of the wind meter at my house. I calibrated the angles based on wind reading of that meter and my hand held wind meter I use in the field. Those are noted on the cheat sheet in mph. A ruffle will move the flag to the side of the pole in the direction of the wind. A 1 mph wind will move the tail out from the pole in the direction of the wind.

Once you learn to read range flags they are really helpful at long range. Small streamers are really nice on short 100 and 200 yard ranges but at longer ranges they do not tell you what the wind is doing at max ordinate of the bullets flight. Reading the mirage is also an excellent method if you can see mirage. Here in the desert with very low humidity many times there is no mirage.

When reading mirage the spotting scope should be used with the focus set short of the target. Using the scope on the rifle can give you a false reading due to mirage coming off the barrel as the barrel heats up. "Reading" the wind is a skill picked up through practice. It is an important skill to learn when shooting at longer ranges.

However, even at shorter ranges such at 100 yards many over look the affect the wind has on cast bullets with their attendant low BCs. The cause of many small flyers or opening of groups is credited to other factors when in reality it is the wind.

Attachment 216441
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-15-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Larry for the write-up.

Boolit Master
    Yes, thanks for the write up. Nice shooting too.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Impressive! I couldn't begin to shoot that well at 600 with my 308 and jackets! Thanks for posting.

Boolit Buddy
    Great thread!

I recently started casting and reloading for a new Savage 308 Model 10 (police model, 18.5", 1-10, threaded) using a Ranch Dog hunting bullet (NOE TL310-180 GC), but I wanted to try a lighter, and more target/accurate bullet, so I just ordered a 4x cavity NOE 30 XCB to "play" with. This thread and similars threads on the 30 XCB convinced me to try it

Will

Boolit Master
    Then read this: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,533.0.html if you haven’t already.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome - thanks for the link

Boolit Grand Master

wquiles

I used the same 10" test rifle with one of the 30 XCB loads used in that NOE thread at 500 yards. The results are listed in this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...y-at-500-yards
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    What alloy were you using, I read it twice to make sure I did not miss it.
    Nice shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman #2 WQ'd out of the mould.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Thank you for the write-up...

Boolit Master
    Made it to the range this afternoon to test more loads in the 17 twist Krieger barrel Remington:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E97FBE88-3A78-4891-8E8E-DA05C287D15C.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	216660
    The first group were just sighters to warm up the rifle. These are the same load as the others but they are loaded in brass that has small lube dents. As noted on the target, these were underweight culls.

Name:	C09455AE-CAA1-430B-AA55-788C652FD58F.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	216661
    Then I tried some bullets cast about 3 months ago that were air cooled.

Name:	8B575BAB-67CC-410A-8715-9093094A6FF3.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	216662
    Finally, these were cast about two weeks ago (I think... I’ve slept since then) that were WQ’d out of the mold. All were lubed with Carnauba Red 2700+.

Name:	E2190258-D535-495A-B28F-F3F218049693.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	216663
    I have not chronographed these yet. Just looking for the path that leads to the most accurate load. Also, I usually chrono the loads on the 50 yd range because it is easier to work there.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 03-18-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

You might try a tudge slower powder than RL17. I found AA4350 to be the best performer in 14" twist .308W Palma rifle and my 30x60 XCB rifle.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I intend to. I haven’t found any yet, but then, I’ve been too busy to look. I have both IMR and H4350.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 03-18-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Try both of those......never know.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Remington 700 .308 Win. 1-17” Next step is to chronograph then go to the 500 M range.

Name:	12064C3C-17C2-4312-AB7A-566D109488BF.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	217074

Name:	238E208F-D101-429C-B82A-CB47F4B7F3DD.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	217075
    USMC 6638

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast