Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Barrel bulge

Boolit Buddy

Barrel bulge

I thought I snagged a nice barrel off eBay for my hawken but sadly it has a very visible bulge about 5” down the bore. Is this safe to shoot? Is it a good candidate for a re bore or should I just scrap it? It’s a shame as it’s in very good shape otherwise. I’m assuming the ball was only seated with the starter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85260A33-0785-4617-B8DF-65F7AD9996B9.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	216132

Boolit Buddy
    Heres the advice I got on here a while back for the same issue.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Fix-TC-Hawken

I took the advice, shot it with no issues, so never did a thing about it. May be worth a try doing the same and see what results you get, may not be a loss.

I have an heirloom (and first production year) Remington Model 8 in 25 Remington with bulged barrel barrel and it shoot fine. I'd say try it and see what happens.

Boolit Buddy
    How long is the barrel? Is it long enough to just cut it off right behind the bulge and re-crown it? All you have to do it move the ramrod thimble back until it looks right. You might want to move the middle one too if it bothers you. Depending on how the rib it attached, you might be able to move it back with the thimbles attached.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s about 5” from the muzzle

Boolit Master
    shoot it first. if it shoots to your spects leave it alone and shoot it. if it not you can get it rebored or relined

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a ML with a bad breech. (Neglect turned to corrosion). It was so bad that the loaded ball/patch would snag during loading. Tore the patches to bits. I had the breech cut off, breech plug reset, and all the attendant adjustments made, and then went out and shot one of the best bucks I've ever shot. Didn't run 15 yards. Among all your possibilities, don't rule out cutting it short and making a nice carbine out of it. That $25 wrecker (my cost of the very neglected ML) of mine turned into one of the handiest little tree climbing game getters I have. Good luck -- all is not lost. The adventure continues.

Of course, getting it re-bored to a new caliber is an option. Bob Hoyt is a miracle man for such operations. I'd follow his advice anytime. A re-bore just might cost a little more than an amputation.

Somebody sold me a ringed barrel .36 flinter. I never could get it to shoot.
    Had it rebored and lived happily ever after.

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    I have an heirloom (and first production year) Remington Model 8 in 25 Remington with bulged barrel barrel and it shoot fine. I'd say try it and see what happens.
    Would you have known it was bulged without disassembly? I'm assuming due to the barrel shroud on the great model 8.
    I bulged a barrel on a Ruger 9mm pistol and I'm still using it after turning down the outside. I'll probably replace it someday but it shoots as well as it did. Also our family Win 63 .22 auto has a bulge 2" behind the front sight. It'll still get a brace of small game when needed.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Cut the breech end just beyond the bulge and re-thread its breech. Although I highly doubt whom ever does the cutting will get those barrel to breech Flats to match-up again without their re-file and barrels re-bluing. OK _once done.
    Call it your custom made Canoe Rifle or short barreled Buck Buster. Or shot the gun as is. "Hopefully the barrel still is as accurate today as it was before its bulging took place.

Greetings TX by God: If you take the barrel off the action and look down it, you can see the bulge. If I hadn't looked, I would not have know based on how it shoots.

I've never actually taken the shroud off of this barrel to exam it. This rifle belonged to my Great Grand Uncle. It came to me when I was about 18 and it is to blame for my affection towards the old ab obsolete, not to mention things that need fixing. It was deemed a relic when given to me, with a broken firing pin and no ammunition available, a wall hanger. It certainly isn't that anymore. I recently took it out and had a bunch of the kin folks on that side of the family shoot it. Great fun to handle somethings that an ancestor used.

Very nice old guns. Mechanical marvels. It's nice to shoot the ancestral guns!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk