RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you're bugging out or in ...............

In Remembrance
    I think I am lucky in the fact that my mind just doesn't dwell on all these shtf doomsday type scenario. That said I have always liked home grown and canned food much better than store bought, even though it cost more to grow your own, be it vegetables or meat and store it. I tend to think it is better for you, at least I like to think it is, and know for a fact it tastes better.
    My opinion is if you do not store the things you need all the time, if something terrible happens, it is too late to start, period. And if you are prepared, there is no such a thing as bugguing out, how would you take your preparations.
    Like I said I count myself lucky in the fact that my mind just can't dwell much on anything I can't do about anyway.

^ Yep.

I have enough rice, beans, pasta, sugar, salt, flour and canned goods to keep me and my wife for a year.

If we had 2 weeks to pull the freezer down, can meat, vegi's probably longer.
    If we lose power and it does not come back on, well it is going to be one BIG pot of soup. And we'll be canning that.

I don't think I could get everything I want that I already have into a single 18 wheeler. Maybe.

How do you bug out with that??

Our shelves are groaning. We buy in bulk when the price is good. We buy what we normally eat.
    New stock gets rotated to the bottom/back. Old stock is moved forward.

Only thing I need now is a snipers perch up on the roof!

I don't think about it much, but it is sorta hovering in the back of my head at times.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think I'm of the idea of staying . Though it probably does cost more to grow it at home at least you have a clue of what it is and how to grow it . If you're not pressed for time it is rather enjoyable to grow too .

To watch doomsday around here is when the weatherman is calling for six to eight inches of snow . Those that don't have anything stocked ahead go and clean out the grocery stores as if they will be snow bound for a month . It makes me wonder if the weather people own a few grocery stores .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Something I should have remembered . Some varieties of trees have a very short lifespan compared to others . I planted a couple grafted peach trees in 1996 , last year they looked weak and this year I can tell they are definitely on the decline . It doesn't look like borers have got them either . Might have something to do with it being grafted to semi dwarf rootstock .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Some pretty good posts in this topic to read about the ideas of others.

I might be able to add some tips for both, but the main one is for those who are "staying". ( I like the term "staying" or "going" better than "buggin in/out". Not sure why though... LOL)

Not sure if it has been mentioned so far, but IF you are like my missus & I, in our later 50's, ( or at any age where meds/etc. are necessary) it has become necessary to have medical/medicine needs stocked up as well as food & FAK necessities, as well as other supplies & resources.

For us in articular, those medicine/medical items are just as important as food or water. Without them, life would be much harder for me & certainly a death for my missus.

Electricity we can do without, but those supplies are necessary in our case.

Since those items "we" need are not able to be procured much "in advance" it has been a situation where for me, "I" have skipped doses in order to gather a "stash" to get me by in an emergency. ( Note - I have learned that Dr.'s "may" give you a prescription for your medicines if you are going on a vacation/holiday so that you may carry extra in case you have a reason to stay longer than the prescription allows. Particularly if you are going to a place where getting a prescription filled is difficult)

OTOH, the missus medicine for her has to be kept cool or it degrades, as well as it does not keep as long. It is literally a "death warrant" should she not get it & that will likely make me a "scavenger with an extreme prejudice in mindset/attitude" when it comes to getting more for her should a prolonged shortage occur. I don't mean stealing from others, but discussion of that "procurement" is another subject which I don't wish to breach more than I have here.

Another for even just a single person is not to forget clothing to suit the environment where ya are.

Having seeds for planting at least one crop might be worthwhile if you plan to stay for a while.

If you do not have one, getting at least one book on each subject, including local flora for food & medicine, in a library would not hurt, as books have value when there is no electricity to use the internet, no different than candles when the power is out for light, etc..

Being able to learn from books( a resource) on how to do things will likely be not only an asset if something needs to be done & a person doesn't know the details, as well as an asset for younger folks & if nothing else, a means of passing time when free time might be available. ( think cold winters).

Anyway, I have rambled a bit longer than I expected & even though I have some more ideas for folks, I will stop & let others have some input.

We are "staying" and our reason, even though my sons have their own places, this spot I am at is the "bug out" location for them & family to reach right now, if necessary. I would only leave if I was a "sole" survivor, if ya know what I mean there...

Last quick point, touched on earlier by, I think, Dverna was that ones skills & supplies to do a special purpose( he mentioned reloading in particular) is just as valuable an asset in hard times as "stuff". Knowing a skill that would be desired by many & not know by few has its value when folks are just trying to "get by" & those skills/etc., can be used as a barter & might even be a barter for your life in some rare cases... If you can be the "armorer" or "handloader" for a small community, as an example, you would have value to the community to be able to help supply arms repair & ammo to the rest. Just thought to reinforce that info...

G'Luck! & I hope this remains just a topic of discussion & none of these ideas all are sharing are needed to be put into action...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Good points JB!

Knowledge/skill/experience doing something is IMO the ultimate. It can't be taken away from you.

Casting/reloading is a good one. My ace in the hole is soap making.
    Knife sharpening is another good one. There will be need for all of that sort of thing if the SHTF.

Seeds I have a pretty good stash of. Tucked away in a 105mm howitzer shell can. Halfway between a .30 can and a .50 cal ammo can only over 3 feet tall. I also keep a set of walkie talkies in there, plus batterys. Just in case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12