RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been thinking a 38 spec wheel gun

Boolit Master

Been thinking a 38 spec wheel gun

Really been thinking a 38 special wheel gun maybe a 38 mag. No way can I afford a S&W.I have read
    much on the cheaper guns good & bad. Also want a 4inch barrel. Can a decent one be had for around $300 ?
    Or is that a dream on my part?

Fly

Boolit Master
    I've paid less than $300 a piece for the last two S&W model 15's I've bought. They aren't fancy, but they're about as good a .38 as you'll find.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Keep looking a knockabout used S&W Model 10 should be available for around $300-350 or less depending on the market in your area. Colts are of course higher in price. Taurus and the like of steel frames may be ok but come with some issues. Except for occasional use I would stay away from the aluminum and exotic metal frames.

BTW there is no such thing as a .38 Mag, the next step up is .357 Mag. To stay in the .38 class look for something .38+p rated.

What is your intended use?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Former police 4" Model 10 S&Ws are very plentiful on the used market and you should be able to find a serviceable one in your price range. I would look for a Model 10-5 or later, due to parts availability and being +P rated. Great woods loafing gun and well suited for home defense. Concealable in proper holster.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    (quote
    BTW there is no such thing as a .38 Mag, the next step up is .357 Mag. To stay in the .38 class look for something .38+p rated.)

Thanks but I knew that Just have not had my coffee, my mistake. The 357 mag would be nice because I could shoot 38 special out
    of. But that would make it even harder to keep in my price limit I assume.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I February I picked up a ruger security-six in stainless steel with 4 inch barrel for $350. it will out last a s & w

Boolit Grand Master

Watch the used gun market in your area LGS, gun shows, local area news papers, auction houses. Theres a lot of various S&W models used police service that are n good shape and sell reasonably a lot of the time. Any K frame in good shape should suit your needs here. There were also some J frames made over the years with 3" and 4" barrels but these are 5 shot revolvers. The rugers security six service six GP 100 can also be found used in good shape reasonable. And since you simply state wheel gun a black hawk or other single action in 38 spl 357 qualifies opening up even more choices. Theres a lot of options out there

Boolit Master
    Adding to the good deals on the S&W M10's (many of which have entered the secondary market ~5 yrs ago as police trade-ins), add the S&W M64 - a comparable model but in stainless. Virtually all that I have heard of had 4" bbls, mine are the heavier-bbl models, SA & DA, and are of course pre-lock. Values on them have climbed somewhat since then, but could probably still be found for ~$375 or so ?

IMO, a bargain for a S&W stainless .38Spl; although they are fixed-sight, my two shoot very very close to point of aim.

Boolit Master

Recently Buds had some police trade-in model 10s for 299. You might want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    Recently Buds had some police trade-in model 10s for 299. You might want to check it out.
    J&G Sales is another good place to look for used Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    1. I think EVERY gun owner should have at least 1, 4" barreled DA revolver chambered in 38 Special! You will not find a better "all-around" handgun !

2. There are a ton of options but this thread has already covered a lot of those options: 4" S&W K-frame (models 10,13, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66, 67 and a few more). Then you have the Ruger's. After that you have a bunch of others. There are a LOT of Excellent options.

3. I wouldn't get too hung up on .357 mag. Yea, the magnum is a big step up from 38 Special in terms of energy but the 38 Special and 38 Special +P does a LOT of things really well.

P.S. I paid less than $300 for a mechanically perfect, 4" S&W Model 10-7 a few years ago. I think by the time I paid the tax and fees it was right at $300. I would have paid over $350 for that gun without hesitation. The finish was at least 80% if not closer to 90% and it is as tight as any new model 10 I've ever had. It shoots beautifully and it's staying.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 03-09-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I February I picked up a ruger security-six in stainless steel with 4 inch barrel for $350. it will out last a s & w
    /\ I'm jealous /\

Boolit Buddy

I like the 67, it's a stainless steel version of the model 15, and they are only a little more expensive.

Boolit Master
    Last year around this time I got a S&w model 64 in 38 special from Sog in Ohio. I thank it was 299$. Paid for it and had it shipped to my local FFL gun shop.He charges 15 $ for the transfer. It is a 4 in heavy barrel stainless da/sa revolver police Trade in. It is very nice 85+ condition locks up tight. Only has a little holster wear on the very tip of the barrel and right grip which I already replaced. Last week or so I ordered a S&w 38 special model 10 -10 from sog in Ohio.blue 4 in heavy barrel probably not used much locks up tight. A California cdc California department of corrections gun in 38 special in +p. It came with pachmyer rubber grips that look new. Only 279$ sent it to my gun shop also . Also got a star bm 9 mm also this time and he charged me 21$ for the transfers for both guns. The star also looks very good. Police trade in also

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I wouldn't completely overlook Taurus and Rossi. My favorite shop sells tons of Taurus 85's and has had few problems out of them. Late model Rossi revolvers are very nice for the money and an old school design with glossy finish and hammer mounted firing pin. I have a Rossi 461 .357 with 3" barrel, it is surprisingly accurate.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

A shooting bud of mine picked up a Colt 357 model(pre Python) for a little N of 300$....not by much.Seller thought it was "just" another Trooper.Moral of the story....do your homework.

One of my sons snagged a heavy brrl #10 from Buds on the cheap.It was just short of being mint....we were all slackjaw how nice it is.Fixed sights hit dead nuts with factory dupe 158's @25 yds.He listened to me and ordered a(from the factory) Tyler T grip.Rock solid platform.I shoot a switch brrl Diamondback (4/6") that is very nice but,prices keep most of them in safes....much the pity.Mine loves CB's and loves to be shot.Good luck with your search/shopping.SD

Boolit Master
    Last year around this time I got a S&w model 64 in 38 special from Sog in Ohio. I thank it was 299$. Paid for it and had it shipped to my local FFL gun shop.He charges 15 $ for the transfer. It is a 4 in heavy barrel stainless da/sa revolver police Trade in. It is very nice 85+ condition locks up tight. Only has a little holster wear on the very tip of the barrel and right grip which I already replaced. Last week or so I ordered a S&w 38 special model 10 -10 from sog in Ohio.blue 4 in heavy barrel probably not used much locks up tight. A California cdc California department of corrections gun in 38 special in +p. It came with pachmyer rubber grips that look new. Only 279$ sent it to my gun shop also . Also got a star bm 9 mm also this time and he charged me 21$ for the transfers for both guns. The star also looks very good. Police trade in also

Boolit Master
    don't forget the colt o.p. they were certified for +p (.38-44 ) in 1938.

Boolit Buddy
    Armscor sells a 38 Special 4" revolver that resembles the off spring of a S&W & a Colt.
    https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...l=All&cal=38SP

They are $215-230 in my area.

Yes, some report problems... But Gallery Of Guns Warranty solves that for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast