RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Introducing: The .22 ladybug

Boolit Master

Nice work!
    I made a post in the Gunsmithing section of the Home Shop Machinist and Practical Machinist sites to give No Zombies credit for all his hard work and ingunity and to get more people interested in the concept!

Boolit Master
    Redding does make Hardened Alloy Steel Bushings also TiN (Yellow) coated Bushings, in the size range I believe we can use, with .001" increments of ID measurements.
    The OD is about .500" and the Length is About .375" with prices of $17, $26, and somewhat higher; depending on the ID it seems.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-05-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Some incentive to further develop toward a smaller diameter ".221 Askins Cf" to fit without reaming the chamber of a CF converted Ruger Standard Auto Pistol.

Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Love the cartridge and the concept! Hate the name. Sounds like it's directed towards women and little girls. If I owned one I would have to to call it something else. It would be like loving to ride a moped till I got caught on it.lol

Its a great job on the center fire set up!

Firefly, stink beetle, man of war, dragon fly, centipede, June bug, dung beetle, flea??? I'm reaching

Now make me one in a 22 wmr! The hornet is so close to it if loaded down though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Love the cartridge and the concept! Hate the name. Sounds like it's directed towards women and little girls. If I owned one I would have to to call it something else. It would be like loving to ride a moped till I got caught on it.lol

Its a great job on the center fire set up!

Firefly, stink beetle, man of war, dragon fly, centipede, June bug, dung beetle, flea??? I'm reaching

Now make me one in a 22 wmr! The hornet is so close to it if loaded down though.
    Well, the Originator of this thread did use his wife's Idea for the name so I guess it is something of a Joint and Coequal effort.
    Ed Corbin and Mr. Eichenburg (sp?) already have 'dibs' on Flea, Dart, Nat, Fly, Ect. names as they used them first fo rtheir Sub caliber creations made from .25ACP, .32ACP, .38ACP and the like. in calibers from .10" through .22".
    The Cooper Centerfire Magnum is a CF equivalent to the .22WMR and I understand Converted .22 Hornet Brass is again commercially available for the .22CCM cartridge.

As to the other names; have Fun and make a cartridge to use them on.

Chuckling,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    On August 9th I completed A California Firearms Purchase required wait and took Possession of a Used Ruger Standard Automatic MKII modified with Volquartsen Molded Rubber Target Grips.
    It is fitted presently with the Standard tapered 4 plus inches Long Barrel and Fixed Sights.

My intent is to convert a Ebay Purchased MKIV Bolt to center fire to use with this pistol to do development of a version of the .22 Ladybug-Reloader cartridge or possibly an equivalent of the .221 Askins. I am already working on gathering parts for fitting it with an adjustable Rear sight and new Front blade sight.
    After I am Happy with the Developments, perhaps i will see about Replacing the barrel with a longer .25 ACP one and custom magazines to make it into a functional .25ACP Target Pistol.

I can also switch the Modified MKIV bolt from this pistol to the other Ruger Standard Auto pistol I own to shoot CF .22 Rounds through its 6" Bull barrel this one is fitted with a Target adjustable rear sight already and it has walnut grips for comparison shooting.

The Purchase took most of my State Income Tax Refund this year, so the work will be delayed for a time while my finances recover.

Chev. William

Boolit Buddy
    Chev,
    Try castor oil as a sizing lube works a treat!

Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Master
    September brought some money so I ordered five more PT&G blank die bodies to machine to fit the Redding sizing bushings I bought to form Cases.

I expect them to arrive in a few days now.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

I am not sure how many times I have read this thread, at least 3... I really want to own one of these on a contender platform. I have a bunch of new 25 acp brass and once fired FN brass but I do not have a lathe and do not have the skill to make the dies. Do you think this will ever hit the stage that one could actually buy the stuff to run this as a reloader reproducible round?

Boolit Master
    Possible Expensive Way:
    Custom order a full set of Forming and reloading dies for the Design.
    This means both the Full set of forming dies required to get the case to finished size Plus a full set of Reloading dies for the finished Wildcat cartridge.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The PT&G Blank die bodies arrived Saturday, but I had a "Problem" occur; I had gone out to "Tam-o-Shanter" Restaurant in Glendale, CA for a Celebratory Brunch of Prime Rib, Creamed Corn, and Mashed potatoes followed by a Strawberry Shortcake in a Glass topped with a candle, to celebrate my upcoming 76th birthday Anniversary.
    Upon leaving, I tripped on a parking Stop block and fell forward, injuring myself.
    Cut Lip, bent Glasses, 'Raspberry abrasions' on my forearms and Right knee, and a sore Left Chest.
    Then I found out my Friend with The Special Effects Shop is going to take his first vacation in decades and go driving North to Vancouver,WA to visit relatives and friends. so I will not be able to start machining until his return in about three weeks.

I also bought of Ebay a Ruger MK1 Bolt assembly in 'broken condition'. the Recoil spring assembly was broken, the firing pin retaining pin was sheared in half with the sheared Ends showing deep wear (reduced diameter).
    Interesting that the MK1 did NOT use a firing pin retraction spring.
    The MK2, 3, and 4 DO use a retraction spring.
    The recoil assembly is easily replaced, and I probably will us a Volquartsen kit for that.
    I believe the firing pin retaining pin is also easily replaced via a part order to Ruger.

Now, should I modify this MK1 Bolt assembly for CF use or not?

I did order a pair of 3/4" ID Drill bushings to use as gauges for measuring bolt body firing pin channel depths so they will probably come this week.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Hi Chev-William.Hope you are doing well after your accident.BTDT a few times over the years.It ain``t fun and games for sure.Post updates as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the Sentiment, I think I am healing as can be expected at this time of my Life.
    My Left chest is still sore enough to like two 'Tynol' (sp?) caplets before Bed to get some sleep.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I've been offline for a while taking care of some stuff, and haven't been working much on this project, but I had a birthday a few weeks ago, and took the excuse to have some me time in the shop, and assembled and modified some parts I had ordered to create this:

It started life as a police traded 15-4, and It's been kicking around in the safe and used for a coupe of experiments over the last several years. The barrel is from a model 48, and the cylinder is from a 617. I cut a relief on the rear of the cylinder to clear the frame lug, modified the ratchet and hand to give proper timing, carry up and lock, and reamed the chambers to accept the ladybug cartridge.

It turns out the original rim relief is large enough that the .310 max rim diameter of the original ladybug still works in the gun, so I can actually use either the original or repeater brass with equal effect.

I haven't had a chance to test the accuracy yet, but the test firing went well. Hopefully in October I'll make it to the range.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I've been offline for a while taking care of some stuff, and haven't been working much on this project, but I had a birthday a few weeks ago, and took the excuse to have some me time in the shop, and assembled and modified some parts I had ordered to create this:

It started life as a police traded 15-4, and It's been kicking around in the safe and used for a coupe of experiments over the last several years. The barrel is from a model 48, and the cylinder is from a 617. I cut a relief on the rear of the cylinder to clear the frame lug, modified the ratchet and hand to give proper timing, carry up and lock, and reamed the chambers to accept the ladybug cartridge.

It turns out the original rim relief is large enough that the .310 max rim diameter of the original ladybug still works in the gun, so I can actually use either the original or repeater brass with equal effect.

I haven't had a chance to test the accuracy yet, but the test firing went well. Hopefully in October I'll make it to the range.

Great work!

Can't wait to see how she shoots.

Boolit Master
    NoZombies,
    Lovely Revolver customization.
    Now you have a 'nonsuppressed' handgun to work on loads with.
    By the way, what is the Barrel Length and the Cylinder Length?
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    NoZombies,
    Lovely Revolver customization.
    Now you have a 'nonsuppressed' handgun to work on loads with.
    By the way, what is the Barrel Length and the Cylinder Length?
    Chev. William
    It's a 6" barrel, and I believe the standard K-frame Cyl length is 1.67(ish).

So far, it seems about the same noise, or a little less than a K-22 with SV ammo. It's not quite hearing safe, but it's not offensively loud.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Very nice, looming forward to the range day report!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Mid October here after a 'light rain' (so far .33 Inches since October 1st) and a update on my "Healing": the abrasion scabs have all fallen off now, my Left chest is still 'uncomfortable' if pressed, but I am not taking anything now to sleep as it does not wake me if I roll onto my Left side anymore.

I did get into my Friends Shop to try machining the two mandrels I think I need to trim the displaced Brass from above the rims of my potential Ladybug wildcat cases; but i find that I have Problems with my Material selection vs my friends tooling available.

I chose to start with two sizes of Drill Blanks, 1/4" and 3/8", and used Carbide replaceable tip tools to 'turn' the 1/4" drill blank end down to about 3/16" for about 1.3" to fit inside the formed case.
    This went slowly as the Lathe complained if I took more than ten thousandths off in a single cut.
    I polished the machined end with a strip of Crocus Cloth abrasive so it is smooth to the touch.

Then I chucked up one 3/8" drill blank and started in on reducing the end as a future chucking spigot from 3/8" down to 5/16" and found myself wishing for heavier carbide tooling but got the spigot done.
    Then came trying to part off The beginning mandrel to reverse it in the chuck to machine the working end. NO GO! my friend only had H.S.S. cutoff Tools and the Drill blank would not cut with them, in fact the drill blank 'machined' the cutoff tool tip instead!

Now I need to find and buy a Replaceable Carbide tip Cutoff tool Holder and tips to use in his lathe.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 10-17-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hi Chev William.You might try"Grizzly".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast