WidenersPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing: The .22 ladybug

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Since you made all your forming gear from scratch, a ring with a slightly conical hole and a bushing with 4 slits should be easy.
    Given that the near cam point of the RCII should be enough in a step or two. Personally i would use a 4ton hydraulic press.
    But if what you have works fine then let this be a thought experiment.

What im thinking of is something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diesmall.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	216179
    http://www.larrywillis.com/

This is a really neat looking little ladybug and can see where it could come in handy for several different uses.

Boolit Master

Send me some of your boolits, and I will powdercoat them HF red with black spots for you! Just for fun!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Very neat project & congratulations on your craftsmanship!

Have you tried the 20gr bullet with primer only? That should be a super quiet pest load.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Moderator Emeritus

I would love to see this cartridge standardized....I would jump on the bandwagon for one of those....great job and good luck.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post

Have you tried the 20gr bullet with primer only? That should be a super quiet pest load.
    I've got some loaded to try, but haven't fired them yet.

Because of how fast TG is, there's very little muzzle pressure at uncorking, and it's pretty quiet as is, even the supersonic stuff isn't obnoxious without the can on it. I'm estimating less than 400 PSI at uncorking with the subsonic 40 grain load. That's a fair bit less than CCI SV from the same barrel length.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Very nice Sir.Please post updates as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    I keep following this thread and I want one. How hard would it be to ream an a 22 lr barrel for this and set it in a break action shot gun barrel and put a scallop indention by the rim to eject.

Boolit Master

Could you cut down 22 CCM cases?
    There is a thread on here about them being available right now. I think BACO has them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    I keep following this thread and I want one. How hard would it be to ream an a 22 lr barrel for this and set it in a break action shot gun barrel and put a scallop indention by the rim to eject.
    That should be really easy actually. I used chucking reamers for the barrels I've chambered so far, with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Could you cut down 22 CCM cases?
    There is a thread on here about them being available right now. I think BACO has them.
    Yes, the CCM brass requires a little rim work along with the trim, but works fine otherwise. I can't personally justify the expense of buying it, but it would be the easy way to get there .

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Nozombies,
    Very good write-up of your .22 Ladybug and its Development.
    RE: the 'spring-back' of the Base diameter. Have you thought of a 'Three stage forming sequence' with the Last stage done with about .005" reduction in diameter?

Re: RCBS "RCII" press use thought. I use a purchased Used RCBS "RC" press that I changed the handle from a 'Straight Grip original' to a 'Ball Grip' longer one from an RCBS "Ammomaster II" that is about 4" longer overall from press mount point to Grip point.

This made my Forming of .22 Hornet cases down to .276" in a Lee .25ACP carbide Ring Sizing die in one step MUCH easier. I now use Multiple Step Swaging down on 5.7x28mm cases via "opened" .25ACP Lee Carbide Ring in the same press with a LOT less Effort in each stage.

My Lee carbide ring sizing die came from Lee as a tapered entry, after the Mouth radius, to a sizing diameter that yielded .276" body with about a .280" base diameter tapering over about .300" from the Base of the Case with the case pushed in so the rim touched the radius.

I just received two new Lee "Oversize" Dies that are supposed to size to .278" which is the SAAMI Maximum .25ACP Case Diameter. Using a dial caliper the two measure about .277" and ~.2775" Sizing diameter.

Also have you considered using a Carbide Drill Bushing mounted in a die body for your final Swaging/Forming die?
    They are Normally made with a Straight Bore and a radius on each end of the bore so would not have The taper of the Lee ring Dies.

And Finally: Please Submit the Cartridge design to "Ammoguide Interactive" for inclusion in their Master Cartridge Data base. Mike Haas is very appreciative of such Wildcat Cartridge submissions with whatever data you have on Performance.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-14-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: corrected a typo. error.

Boolit Master
    "Ammoguide Interactive" has a listing for the ".22 Epperson Cricket/.22 Pokey" which is a Bottle Neck conversion of the .25ACP Case. the Web address for the cartridge listing is: "http://ammoguide.com/?catid=160".
    Eichelberger has listings for the .10 and .14 Dart Wildcats made from .25ACP case.
    I found no listing so far for a .17 made from a .25ACP case though.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Nozombies,
    Very good write-up of your .22 Ladybug and its Development.
    RE: the 'spring-back' of the Base diameter. Have you thought of a 'Three stage forming sequence' with the Las stage done with about .005" reduction in diameter?

Re: RCBS "RCII" press use thought. I use a purchased Used RCBS "RC" press that I changed the handle form a 'Straight Grip original' to a 'Ball Grip' longer one from an RCBS 'Ammomaster II" that is about 4" longer overall from press mount point to Grip point.
    This made my Forming of .22 Hornet cases down to .276" in a Lee .25ACP carbide Ring Sizing die in one step MUCH easier. I now use Multiple Step Swaging down on 5.7x28mm cases via "opened" .25ACP Lee Carbide Ring in the same press with a LOT less Effort in each stage.
    My Lee carbide ring sizing die came from Lee as a tapered entry, after the Mouth radius, to a sizing diameter that yielded .276" body with about a .280" base diameter tapering over about .300" from the Base of the Case with the case pushed in so the rim touched the radius.
    I just received two new Lee "Oversize" Dies that are supposed to size to .278" which is the SAAMI Maximum .25ACP Case Diameter. Using a dial caliper the two measure about .277" and ~.2775" Sizing diameter.

Also have you considered using a Carbide Drill Bushing mounted in a die body for your final Swaging/Forming die?
    They are Normally made with a Straight Bore and a radius on each end of the bore so would not have The taper of the Lee ring Dies.

And Finally: Please Submit the Cartridge design to "Ammoguide Interactive" for inclusion in their Master Cartridge Data base. Mike Haas is very appreciative of such Wildcat Cartridge submissions with whatever data you have on Performance.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions, some stuff to mull over for sure.

I hadn't thought about the press handle change, if I find myself needing more leverage on the RC, I'll keep that in mind next time.

I've considered the carbide drill bushings, but until I figure out all of the diameters I need, I haven't spent the money on them. Though I have made a few die bodies to take them in the past for other projects.

"Ammoguide Interactive" has a listing for the ".22 Epperson Cricket/.22 Pokey" which is a Bottle Neck conversion of the .25ACP Case. the Web address for the cartridge listing is: "http://ammoguide.com/?catid=160".
    Eichelberger has listings for the .10 and .14 Dart Wildcats made from .25ACP case.
    I found no listing so far for a .17 made from a .25ACP case though.

Chev. William
    Interesting. I know epperson made a .17 version of his cartridge, and I'm almost positive that Eichleberger did as well... I'm guessing they just didn't make the registry.
    Last edited by NoZombies; 03-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Back when zero was in office.i had wish someone would come up with what you are working on.Since I use the 22lr for my trap line. I could use this for it and reuse the brass and reload them on the off season.It would work for me. I did look into about 22lr to reload and after what I read it is not worth it for me. but this would be.I had got the 327 mag BH for if 22lr was to keep going the way it been.i would use 32S&W and 32ACP in it for the trap line. But this would work better.Keep it up. I will watch your work on this.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Back when zero was in office.i had wish someone would come up with what you are working on.Since I use the 22lr for my trap line. I could use this for it and reuse the brass and reload them on the off season.It would work for me. I did look into about 22lr to reload and after what I read it is not worth it for me. but this would be.I had got the 327 mag BH for if 22lr was to keep going the way it been.i would use 32S&W and 32ACP in it for the trap line. But this would work better.Keep it up. I will watch your work on this.
    The .22 Corbin Flea is a bottle necked base upon the .32ACP case. Somewhat higher Propellant Capacity with additional velocity possible, approaching .22WMR area.
    Chev. William

The .22 Corbin Flea is a bottle necked base upon the .32ACP case. Somewhat higher Propellant Capacity with additional velocity possible, approaching .22WMR area.
    Chev. William
    I see that is not a common round.but is something to know about .Thank you.I got the 327 because of all I can do with it for the different rounds i can put in it.If I use it on the trap line it will mainly will to dispatch the animal in the trap.Also to use for hunting other wildlife. A gun with more then one use.I have stock on 22lr some time before all that happened in the past and just thinking ahead what if.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post

Well, I tried the primer only loads, and they were disappointing, I tried 3 in the contender, and each one got stuck in the bore. Easy enough to push out, but still no fun. I haven't tried magnum primers, but I think that experiment is done for now. I'll try a half a grain next time.

Not to hijack this interesting thread...does anyone recognize these 32LC reformed cases?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ong-Colt-cases

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Not to hijack this interesting thread...does anyone recognize these 32LC reformed cases?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ong-Colt-cases
    See reply on the referenced Thread. Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Well, I tried the primer only loads, and they were disappointing, I tried 3 in the contender, and each one got stuck in the bore. Easy enough to push out, but still no fun. I haven't tried magnum primers, but I think that experiment is done for now. I'll try a half a grain next time.
    I read somewhere on another forum that Magnum Primers typically raise pressures about 3500psi, with all other variables being held equal, over regular primer.

How far from the Muzzle were the bullets stopping, and how long is the test barrel over all, with the regular primers only?

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-29-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: corrected a Typo. error.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast