Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Introducing: The .22 ladybug

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    March is rolling in Here with Rain and Cold Winds; so I was looking on Ebay and found two Marlin .22RF Microgroove barrels for sale cheap. Impulse Buys got them both!
    One has arrived already! It appears to have conventional rifling instead of Microgroove rifling, with six wide grooves between Narrow Lands. It is 24" long with both sights installed still, shiny Bore with clean rifling, rough to feel but reasonable visually exterior. The Blue finish is worn and may have been sopt rusted at one time. It is marked ".22 Long Rifle only Smokeless Greased" on the left side beside the rear sight. I think this one will be trimmed and threaded to fit a 'Spud" for one of my Stevens 'Favorite' actions and the chamber reamed to fit either, or both, .22 Ladybug or .221 Askins CF cartridges (Both made from .25ACP cases).
    It supposedly is from a Marlin A1 rifle. It Cost me $30.00!

the other one was $32+ due to shipping charges. the second one is due for delivery this afternoon.

Chev. William
    Yup I bought 3 Marlin 22lr barrels on eBay. The first one had pitting and I messaged the guy about it. So he sent me another one free... looks new . I couldn't do that to him so I sent him another $20 But I got two barrels for $40. Both the old Marlin 66 longer barrel version. I already rechamered the pitted one to 22WMR and polished out the pits. I figured it couldn't hurt to have the bore a bit bigger for 22WMR. I thought about drilling one out for a 38 S&W and trying my hand at rifling but that's a lot of work. Probably never get around to it. I with they could sell receivers on eBay. That would be fun.

Boolit Master
    Ebay has a "rule" that is sometimes Breached by sellers; and buyers take advantage of the 'Breech'!
    Ebay also has a 'Rule " that denies selling any Magazine with a capacity over ten rounds, which is also mostly Ignored by Sellers and Ebay.

Nowadays they are 'trying' a captive Purchase system that does NOT include PayPal at all. Only one way to pay, enter Your credit card Information!

I have made two purchases under this system, using a Credit Card with a very low balance just in case it is a Scam.
    so far neither Purchase has Arrived and one of them was due today.

Chev. William

Banned
    Ebay has a "rule" that is sometimes Breached by sellers; and buyers take advantage of the 'Breech'!
    Ebay also has a 'Rule " that denies selling any Magazine with a capacity over ten rounds, which is also mostly Ignored by Sellers and Ebay.

Nowadays they are 'trying' a captive Purchase system that does NOT include PayPal at all. Only one way to pay, enter Your credit card Information!

I have made two purchases under this system, using a Credit Card with a very low balance just in case it is a Scam.
    so far neither Purchase has Arrived and one of them was due today.

Chev. William
    It is normal to be nervous about a new system. I wouldn't worry about getting items you purchase but rather what is the system all about, how does it work and where are the hidden caveats. I had not heard about this new thing. When Paypal started being the ruling bank on eBay I was outraged. I am still against a monopoly on the interest yadayada. But no other banks stepped up so ...their loss. I proposed a possible system for Bank of America to be able to be a player there to one of their higher officers and they were not interested so...
    I am actually pretty happy with the governance of eBay so far. They seem to be fairly down to earth about the whole process. It could be much better but it is very good right now. I buy everything I can on eBay and regularly find incredible deals. Just recently I found a sale for a lot of 10 hand reamers at .2242" for under $16.50. These reamers would sell for $40 per if purchased somewhere else. So $400 worth of tools for $16.50? As I said I get most of my stuff on eBay. Linens for our bed to tooling for machining to reading glasses. If the item is not cheaper than somewhere else I don't buy it. I recently also bought a .2242" drill block for around $5. You know what those go for. The only problem is supply and demand. I started using eBay while being a Personal Computer technician. Buying all my computer parts there. I found that if something had great appeal the auctions might go higher than what you could buy it for at your local store. It seems that this is now beginning to happen with reloading tools. It used to be you could get reloading stuff for pennies on the dollar. Now that everyone has caught on the stuff is going for higher prices than you can get it through a distributor.
    Oh well I ramble.
    Bottom line...eBay is pretty good about protecting customers, your delayed items are probably just being held up in shipping.

Boolit Master
    Well, the Current one I am watching was reported Scheduled for Delivery on March 11th but as the Tracking history shows it ARRIVED in Los Angeles, CA on the 11th, NOT at my local Post Office!
    "March 11, 2019, 12:04 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item arrived at our LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on March 11, 2019 at 12:04 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    March 9, 2019
    In Transit to Next Facility
    March 5, 2019, 6:45 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    March 4, 2019, 3:50 pm
    Departed Post Office
    ADRIAN, MO 64720
    March 4, 2019, 10:33 am
    USPS in possession of item
    ADRIAN, MO 64720
    March 1, 2019, 9:27 pm
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    ADRIAN, MO 64720 "
    Ebay is still displaying:
    "It's on the way.
    Shipped Done Mon, Mar 4 Done In transit Done Out for delivery Estimated delivery Mon, Mar 11".
    So i wonder if it wil be deivered to my regional distribution Center (Santa Clarity) or my Local Post office (Burbank/Sun Valley) today or tomorrow?
    Or perhaps sent to the East Coast for another run through the system?

I have had that Happen three times, one in each of the last three years.

We will see what happens later today.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Well, the Current one I am watching was reported Scheduled for Delivery on March 11th but as the Tracking history shows it ARRIVED in Los Angeles, CA on the 11th, NOT at my local Post Office!
    "March 11, 2019, 12:04 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item arrived at our LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on March 11, 2019 at 12:04 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    March 9, 2019
    In Transit to Next Facility
    March 5, 2019, 6:45 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    March 4, 2019, 3:50 pm
    Departed Post Office
    ADRIAN, MO 64720
    March 4, 2019, 10:33 am
    USPS in possession of item
    ADRIAN, MO 64720
    March 1, 2019, 9:27 pm
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    ADRIAN, MO 64720 "
    Ebay is still displaying:
    "It's on the way.
    Shipped Done Mon, Mar 4 Done In transit Done Out for delivery Estimated delivery Mon, Mar 11".
    So i wonder if it wil be deivered to my regional distribution Center (Santa Clarity) or my Local Post office (Burbank/Sun Valley) today or tomorrow?
    Or perhaps sent to the East Coast for another run through the system?

I have had that Happen three times, one in each of the last three years.

We will see what happens later today.
    Chev. William
    The Second Marlin .22LR Barrel was delivered late March 13th evening, two days late according to USPS estimate of delivery.
    It Did arrive in "Los Angeles" on the 11th. from there to Santa Clarita, to Burbank, To Sun Valley, then to my home took an added Two days.

It is a model 60 used barrel complete with the pin that attached it to the receiver. The Bore is dark and may be filled with "Crud". The Exterior is rusty for about half the length, but it is roll stamped with "Microgroove" so I assume under the "crud' is some fine lands and grooves closely spaced.

It looks like the First project is cleaning the Bore out.
    And the second project is using some 0000 Steel Wool on the Exterior to see how it cleans up.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-28-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Banned
    The Second Marlin .22LR Barrel was delivered late March 13th evening, two days late according to USPS estimate of delivery.
    It Did arrive in "Los Angeles" on the 11th. frm there to Santa Clarita, to Burbank, To Sun Valley, then to my home took an added Two days.

It is a model 60 used barrel complete with the pin that attached it to the receiver. The Bore ris dark and may be filled with "Crud". The Exterior is rusty for about half the length, but it is roll stamped with "Microgroove" so iI assume under the "crud' is some fine lands and grooves closely spaced.

It looks like the First project is cleaning the Bore out.
    And the second project is using some 0000 Steel Wool on the Exterior to see how it cleans up.

Chev. William
    A tip about buying on eBay: If the item is not in the condition as advertised, contact the seller. Even if it was inexpensive...I have often had people give me a partial refund for stuff that was not represented correctly OR sometimes when they offered and I declined with adding that because of the little I paid them ...has created good will. Good will goes a long way on eBay. I have been a customer there since 2001 and have sold a few things. My purchase number is around 2,000. I have never had a negative feedback posted. I have rarely posted a negative feedback. Communicating with the seller after the purchase is key. Almost always resolved.

Boolit Master
    Caught two 1890 type 3 'Front Bolt Housings' on Ebay and bought them via PayPal Credit for Future Projects.
    Waiting Now for them to be delivered via mails.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    This was Posted on this Forum as the beginning of another Thread Yesterday:
    "
    .22 Long Rifle Center Fire

https://www.rccbrass.com/22-long-rif...GeQvhM3g28KXMw
    22 Long Rifle Center Fire
    We were recently contacted by Dan Hilliard to manufacture a centerfire .22 Long Rifle. With the specs he sent us we now have reloadable .22 Long Rifle cartridges. This idea has been with Dan for quite a while and had tried it using rimfire brass he modified. After several firings the case head would weaken and no longer hold a primer.
    So, Dan sent us his specification and we manufactured him his .22 Long Rifle Center Fire cartridges with a small primer pocket and flash hole. He has developed loads capable of propelling a .22” dia. 40 gr. bullet at 1,080 fps with 105 ft.-lbs. of energy at the muzzle.
    Roberson Cartridge Company is a custom manufacture of Vintage, Obsolete, Hard to Find and Wildcat calibers."

Also, I received the two '1890 Winchester Front Housings' and they are very nice for their age, with a nice Blued finish.
    one fits a Type 3 Bolt nicely but the other does not, it seems to be slightly 'squeezed' at the top left front edge just where the cut is for the slide rod Cover and the lug cut outs are. I believe this is correctable so they will both be useful.
    The one that fits properly has a '2659xx' serial with a "B" centered below the number stamping.
    The other one has a '2829xx' serial with a much deeper stamped "B" centered below the number.

Chev. William

Boolit Bub
    i could not get the link to work for me see if this one works https://www.rccbrass.com/product/22-...e-center-fire/ am i reading this right $3.25 each for brass

Boolit Grand Master

This one should work https://www.rccbrass.com/22-long-rif...GeQvhM3g28KXMw and yes they are $3.25 each. Other than cost the other downside to me is it requires heeled bullets so it works in a standard 22 chamber. I originally posted the link for the folks that load them with Blackpowder. I don't know if the RCC centerfire will have enough volume for the BP folks
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    This one should work https://www.rccbrass.com/22-long-rif...GeQvhM3g28KXMw and yes they are $3.25 each. Other than cost the other downside to me is it requires heeled bullets so it works in a standard 22 chamber. I originally posted the link for the folks that load them with Blackpowder. I don't know if the RCC centerfire will have enough volume for the BP folks
    I called RCC and left a Message that they returned today.
    Yes the Case Body outside diameter is ~.226", the Same as typical .22LR body Diameter, and they do have a Small Pistol/Rifle Primer Pocket of .175" nominal diameter. From The Discussion I had with the Caller, I gather that the Web and Primer pocket does 'encroach' upon the Internal Powder volume to an extent, reducing the Water volume of the Powder Chamber compared to a typical .22LR RF case. They do believe there is adequate remaining volume to allow loading to at least Transonic muzzle Velocity in typical Rifle barrel lengths of around 20"-22".
    I guess Shorter Barrels on Pistols and Revolvers will show slightly Less Velocity.
    No idea was given nor asked about BP capacity nor BP Performance, however I personally think a charge of either 4f, or possibly 3f, Swiss or similar BP should give creditable performance with 40 grain Heeled bullets. I do know that a .25ACP case will hold about 5.31 grains weight of 4f Swiss BP under a 50 Grain FMJ bullet.

I would guess the new turned .22LR CF case would hold about 3.5 grains weight of Swiss 4f BP based upon the relative proportions of the two cases.
    This is an ESTIMATE ONLY, NOT A TESTED VALUE!!!!!

Also, note the Minimum order quantity from RCC is 50 cases of this .22LR CF case, according to their Web site.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-29-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Boolit Mold
    What is the bullet mold?

Boolit Master
    Re: Bullet Mold. I have no idea and did not ask RCC about that.
    I suspect there are one or two makers that list one or can make one as a custom order.
    Old West Molds
    NOE molds
    come to mind.
    Accurate molds does NOT make any with a Cavity Diameter below .260" due to his tooling limits.

Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master

These are heeled and the claim is they work in 22 LR also https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb3/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    **** IT, why can’t the mfgs think of stuff this practical & clever! I reload, this cartridge is a no brainer!

Banned
    This is how I make swaged, powder coated 22lr bullets. These are to finer specs than commercial bullets. I have found since making this video that the hollow base actually DOES obturate the bullet to conform to the rifling. Much of what I discuss here is actually conjecture believe it to you own peril.
    https://youtu.be/eHHK-lLKmMI

Boolit Master
    I got to use my friend's Special Effects Shop machine tools to start work on three swaging die bodies to use Hornady neck sizing bushings as their working ends.
    Got the three die bodies bored preparatory to reaming and cutting internal Threads before I ran out of time.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-22-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    Two, and a Part of the third, die Blank are machined prior to pressing in the Hornady Neck Sizing Bushings.
    The die body tops are tapped 1/2-20UNF for possible future accessories.
    The die body bottoms are reamed to .4999 inch diameter for the nominal .5000 inch diameter sizing bushings.
    The third body is not yet tapped as I 'Slipped' in the process of tapping the second body and bent the adjustable tap handle, putting it out of usable condition.
    As I do not have spare funds this late in the Month, I will need to wait until next month to buy a replacement adjustable tap handle to finish the Body tapping.
    Also, i cannot find the Hornady sizing bushings I bought earlier, so I may need to purchase more of them.
    After pressing in the sizing bushing, I will then machine the Bottom of th edie body to leave a thin tubular section to be hammered and presssed over to lock the bushing in place against case removal forces (I use a punch and hammer to remove the full length swaged down case).

Chev. William

Banned
    Two, and a Part of the third, die Blank are machined prior to pressing in the Hornady Neck Sizing Bushings.
    The die body tops are tapped 1/2-20UNF for possible future accessories.
    The die body bottoms are reamed to .4999 inch diameter for the nominal .5000 inch diameter sizing bushings.
    The third body is not yet tapped as I 'Slipped' in the process of tapping the second body and bent the adjustable tap handle, putting it out of usable condition.
    As I do not have spare funds this late in the Month, I will need to wait until next month to buy a replacement adjustable tap handle to finish the Body tapping.
    Also, i cannot find the Hornady sizing bushings I bought earlier, so I may need to purchase more of them.
    After pressing in the sizing bushing, I will then machine the Bottom of th edie body to leave a thin tubular section to be hammered and presssed over to lock the bushing in place against case removal forces (I use a punch and hammer to remove the full length swaged down case).

Chev. William
    Sounds like you have developed a very good process there. I like it very much. I may copy some of the ideas you have spoken of. I like the idea of making "holder dies" for pressed in very hard precision forming tools. This would solve some of the difficulties that I encounter making dies from hard bolts. Thanks and keep us posted. Pictures are always nice also.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I like it !
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast