RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
PBcastcoLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Introducing: The .22 ladybug

Boolit Master
    Finally, Photos:

The Modified Bolt Face. Note the enlarged Rim rebate to fit the .25ACP rim and the Centered round firing pin tip.

The top view of the Bolt with recoil assembly removed to show the new firing pin in its channel.

Left side of Modified MKII pistol with its new ~8" Barrel.

Right side of Modified MKII pistol wiht its ~8" long Barrel.

These Photos were taken by my Friend with a Camera that has a "Macro" Photo Capability.

Chev. William

Banned
    @Chev William
    Wow is that cool!
    Can you make a video of you firing it? Would love to see those .25 cases fly out of that thing.

Boolit Master
    I do not know if my Local Commercial Ranges will allow taking Videos/Photos at their active firing lines.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Thursday, December 27th, my Special Effects Friend and I took a "Range Day" for some Testing an Fun and Relaxation.

I took both my .25ACP conversion Ruger MKII Auto Pistol and my .22LR Pre-mark Ruger auto Pistol along to compare.

Both were fired as 'Single Shot' without magazines inserted.
    - The .25ACP and the .22LR seemed to eject to the same area and the bolts appeared to 'recoil' about the same.
    - The Muzzle rise was about the same for both pistols.
    - Shooting 'Standing Off Hand' both seemed to 'pattern' about the same at 50 yards, they both are more accurate than I am, it seems.
    Initially At 7 yards, the .25ACP sights, using a 6 O'clock sight picture, had POI above and left of POA. 3 clicks of Windage adjustment brought POI over to above POA. I found that the Sight had an "Allen" socket head and I did not have a suitable tool with me to adjust elevation. That afternoon i took the Pistol to my gunsmith and he looked through his 'Spare Parts box' and found a slot head screw to exchange.

Next time out to the range, I will adjust elevation to bring POI and POA together.

Overall, I am Very Pleased with this conversion to date.
    So far I have about $862 total invested in it, including purchase cost and the Conversion work.
    I still need to make .25ACP magazines to feed it.

Chev. William

Thanks for sharing your photos and info on a very interesting little cartridge. Appreciate the time and effort you put into this project.
    bob
    Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR View Post
    Can you neck it down to .17?

Just kidding. Awesome work!
    Since red ladybugs, have been replaced with those biting, orange *itchbugs, around here, that .17 chambering could be named for the orange ones. The .17 *itchbug.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuffar View Post
    Since red ladybugs, have been replaced with those biting, orange *itchbugs, around here, that .17 chambering could be named for the orange ones. The .17 *itchbug.
    Chuckling,
    I guess necking the "Ladybug" down to .172", or .177", is theoretically possible; but I wonder why not neck the .25ACP case down to .177" like others have done in the Past, making a bottle necked Cartridge?

Or did you mean to make a Straight wall Center Fire .177 cartridge, which, if I have the correct dimensions, would be about .197 body diameter. This would leave about .011" wall to the Primer pocket, so it would need to remain a Rimmed design.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Lest anyone worry, I have a few more tricks up my sleeve with the ladybug. I hope to be posting a few more projects I've been working on for a while.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Any progress on the M67? That should be really cool! The K frame makes me think a M53 shooter grade needs to join my heard
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Any progress on the M67? That should be really cool! The K frame makes me think a M53 shooter grade needs to join my heard
    That's one of the projects I'm trying to finish up..

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Mold
    I have read this thread with intense fascination. This is my first post. I am a long time reader of the forum but enjoyed it so much I had to join and thank everybody for such an interesting subject. Special thanks go out to No Zombies and Chev William. Both of you are very technically minded way beyond what I can grasp at times. I know you both referred to Col. Askins and his .22 centrefire and how he won many competitions prior to a rule change using modified .22 velodog cases. I know of a very old British rook cartridge called .220 Rook (.220 long centrefire.) and wondered how similar they were. I know the bigger 29/230 Morris cartridge can be made from .22 hornet but is bottlenecked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookandrabbit View Post
    I have read this thread with intense fascination. This is my first post. I am a long time reader of the forum but enjoyed it so much I had to join and thank everybody for such an interesting subject. Special thanks go out to No Zombies and Chev William. Both of you are very technically minded way beyond what I can grasp at times. I know you both referred to Col. Askins and his .22 centrefire and how he won many competitions prior to a rule change using modified .22 velodog cases. I know of a very old British rook cartridge called .220 Rook (.220 long centrefire.) and wondered how similar they were. I know the bigger 29/230 Morris cartridge can be made from .22 hornet but is bottlenecked.
    Thanks for joining in!

I've seen references to the .220 rook cartridge, but I've never seen one in the flesh.The only entry I can find that gives dimensions would seem to indicate it is pretty close dimensionally to the ladybug. The ladybug case is slightly shorter, and the .220 rook must have had slightly thinner brass. The rim diameter and thickness are the same, and the OAL is about the same as well.

I actually own a rook rifle that was originally chambered for the .220 rook cartridge, but was sadly relined to another caliber before I got it. I've been considering converting it back to a ladybug...

Boolit Mold
    I have also never seen an example of the .220 Rook centrefire have only seen them referenced in Bill Flemmings book British sporting cartridges. I think the older rifles are great fun but I have been amazed at what you and Chev William have done. Your idea for the ladybug cartridge is fantastic, and sounds very versatile accurate and most importantly great fun. I look forward to seeing how your projects progress in 2019, a rook rifle converted back to its original caliber with a modern liner....Wow superb!. P.s. if you get a chance more photographs..... also amazed at how a small variance in lube or half a grain could alter point of impact.Thanks again, Rookandrabbit.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the Forum!
    I have not heard nor read anything about a ".220 Rook (.220 long centrefire.)" until you mentioned it in your 'first post'.
    It sounds intriguing as a CF early alternative for the RF .22 Long or .22 Long Rifle cartridges.

January and February have been Financially 'tight' for me and it looks like March will be similar.
    Plus the Wet, Cold, and Breezy weather Around here has prevented any outdoor Reloading Shop activity here.

NOE has again promised to schedule making my Ordered five cavity TL255-65-RF mold; so I will be holding back money to pay for this order again.

Chev. William

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Chev William I look forward to your updates. The .220 centrefire Rook cartridge is a very early British cartridge made in England by Eley. I have only seen them in reference books and they are quite rare but the idea of a modern steel light weight quiet,accurate,single shot rifle in .22 Centrefire is fascinating. I am not as technically gifted as you and No Zombies,are but I have followed this thread and not being an engineer tried to keep up.Thanks again Rookandrabbit.

Boolit Mold
    I forgot to add there is an entry showing this cartridge on cartridge collector.net I am sorry but don’t know how to paste a link! Thanks Rookandrabbit.

Boolit Master
    I forgot to add there is an entry showing this cartridge on cartridge collector.net I am sorry but don’t know how to paste a link! Thanks Rookandrabbit.
    Is this the website you were referring to ?
    http://www.cartridgecollector.net/22...ong-centrefire

Chev. William

Boolit Mold
    Yes that’s the one and it looks to the photograph of the cartridge. I could not work out how to get the link. Thanks Chev William for sorting it. It is a very old and rare centrefire British Rook rifle cartridge

Boolit Master
    It does look a lot like the .22 ladybug.

I'll see if I can pull out my little rook rifle that was originally so chambered and get a photo before long.

Boolit Master
    March is rolling in Here with Rain and Cold Winds; so I was looking on Ebay and found two Marlin .22RF Microgroove barrels for sale cheap. Impulse Buys got them both!
    One has arrived already! It appears to have conventional rifling instead of Microgroove rifling, with six wide grooves between Narrow Lands. It is 24" long with both sights installed still, shiny Bore with clean rifling, rough to feel but reasonable visually exterior. The Blue finish is worn and may have been sopt rusted at one time. It is marked ".22 Long Rifle only Smokeless Greased" on the left side beside the rear sight. I think this one will be trimmed and threaded to fit a 'Spud" for one of my Stevens 'Favorite' actions and the chamber reamed to fit either, or both, .22 Ladybug or .221 Askins CF cartridges (Both made from .25ACP cases).
    It supposedly is from a Marlin A1 rifle. It Cost me $30.00!

the other one was $32+ due to shipping charges. the second one is due for delivery this afternoon.

Chev. William

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast