Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anet A8 printer - Making it print the Bullet collator

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I am not sure it matters to be honest about be in a CC building.
    You are controlling the extruder and the bed with a PID program.

I have learned a bunch over the past few weeks.
    Lost a bunch of hair for sure.

(1) LEVEL THE BED - this is critical. 1/2 your issues come from your bed being not level.
    (2) Check the default settings in Cura - For me the default settings were 2.85 filament size. Cause major voids in the print. It should be 1.75
    (3) Not all PLA uses the same temp settings - One each roll there is a recommended temp range. Generally speaking 190-210 on E and 50-60 on B

Now for the bed mat.

I installed auto level on my printer. It required flashing the firmware to Marlin and then installing the Anet style sensor.
    Problem with the non-contact sensor is that you can not use a thick bed mat or glass. The green mat was too thick for the sensor range.
    I ended up going back with blue painters tape.

I level the center of the bed with a piece of paper.
    Once its centered then I go do each of the corners twice.
    You have to do it twice because when you make adjustments on one corner, the other corner on the same Z axis will shift slightly.

Something I have learned with the auto level sensor.
    No matter how level you think your bed is, its not.
    The auto level program starts at the center of the bed.
    Then it moves and checks 9 points.
    3 points across and 3 points deep.
    it displays on the screen what the Z axis measurement is for the sensor at each point.
    On my printer its a 1/4 mil across the entire bed.
    The problem is the bed itself isn't a perfectly flat piece

I am printing a Z- axis upgrade piece. I have already done the upgrade on my machine but I am putting together a little care package for those who get a A8 printer.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2436455
    Attachment 216209
    It requires 2 bearings -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Y9IRNA
    There are other bearings being sold that will work for cheaper but these are what I purchased and they work. Plus they are cheap.

Now for my care package

Fan spacer
    Z-wobble upgrade (you need to order bearings)
    toggle switch with 14ga tffn wire
    Filament tube (spare)

I sent one to Jmorris (minus switch and zwobble)
    Odd as it seems - constraining the Z leadscrews at the top is NOT an upgrade. It typically introduces z wobble banding into your prints as the leadscrews on these machines are never cnc quality perfect and will wobble. Having the top ends open and un constrained introduces LESS z wobble and allows the X axis to ride along the smooth rods "better" ... now if u add the z wobble reducer part to you x idler and x motor mounts - then you may end up better off with those bearings in there. It drove my OCD bonkers for the longest time watching those leadscrews twist in the wind up there ... It will show itself as odd bands on the perimeters of your prints and can cause you needing to slow your speeds way down.

Boolit Buddy

Anet A8 printer - Making it print the Bullet collator

Based on this thread, I built an Anet A8 but couldn’t get the X axis and Y axis square. I finally gave up and ordered some aluminum extrusions from Misumi to build a “real” frame. It’s perfectly square and much more stable now.

I’m not too sure about using anything that restricts the top of the Z axis to correct for Z Wobble as long as you’re using the stock flexible coupling. Just make sure you have only 5mm of the motor shaft and 5mm of the Z screws in the flexible coupling so it can do its job.

Boolit Bub
    Nice lookin printer razorfish ... Im all Misumi too - based off the Zaribo groups i3 interpretations ...

Ive got a lot of upgrades printed that need installing yet - the y rod holders are the last of em ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-04-14_1018.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	218404

Boolit Mold
    My A8 arrived yesterday. Im slowly putting it together between knocking out stuff on the "honey do" list.

Vendor Sponsor

Hi Guys, I've got my printer setup and running, printing one of Anet's calibration blocks now. I've downloaded Cura, but dont see the Anet A8 printer as a choice, which device is most similar?

I’m using the Prusa I3 setting for my Anet 8/Cura.

Boolit Mold
    New here, this is a awesome forum! I just ordered a printer and will be making the bullet feeder, does anyone know how much filament I should have on hand? I will be printing the whole assembly and will have 5 different calibers.

When you save the files out of Cura, it will tell you not only how long it’s going to take to print them but how much filament it will take.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345