Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Wesson revolver set, Opinions please

Boolit Grand Master
    I got my first one in 1974 and it was excellent, but the company I worked for required Smith or Colt Revolvers, so I sold that one, I bought another one in the late 80's and it was no where near the gun the first had been. I traded it off and have been without ever since--bu a clean four-barrel Monson pack would find room in my safe for 1100.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Again, check it over carefully unless you are just buying it on speculation you can resell for a profit. If it is on par with a few I have seen, it might not be a pleasurable shooting experience. Or it might be a winner. $1,100 is a fair bit to spend to find out.

Boolit Master
    I have fired exactly one Dan Wesson in my life. A buddy bought it and brought it to a shoot we were having one afternoon. He handed me the pistol and a box of factory ammo (don't remember the brand) and told me to "see what she'd do".
    I proceeded to put 6 in one ragged hole at 25 yards. I don't do that very often.

Boolit Buddy

$1100 is a very good price in the condition described. If the wrench is with the barrels, just keep it for the "set." To make actual barrel changes get a barrel wrench from EWK Arms. The EWK tool is 3 times the quality and will keep your barrel nut undamaged.

Boolit Buddy

My late Brother had one from about 1980, it was a heck of a shooter. My Nephew has it now & is still shooting it well. The Pistol Pac came with 2.5, 4, 6 & 8” Barrels plus Two Wood Grips, I added an additional 4” Barrel without Shroud that I got in a trade plus a Pachmayr Gripper to the set, the used Barrel shot as well as the original. Buy it
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master

Dan Wesson made some of the most insanely accurate revolvers available. Dan Wesson also made some of the worst revolvers on the planet. Back in my heyday when I shot sillywett I went through a passel of DW revolvers. Those that were accurate were extremely accurate (2" @ 100yds. .375 Super Mag). Then there were those that had misaligned cylinders which shaved boolits and spat lead. They were sold off in a heartbeat.

I hope that if you decide to buy it then you get a good one.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    I currently have two, and after my Freedom Arms 83, are the most accurate handguns I have ever fired. The trigger pull is smoother (on my guns) and less prone to staging than my Smiths.
    They are also very easy to work on. Disassembly is surprisingly simple.

I will never part with my Dan Wessons. And there is a special place in my safe for a DW in 45 Colt. For me, the holy grail of handguns.
    “Oh yes, she WILL be mine”
    Last edited by jdt81; 03-13-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    $1100 is a very good price in the condition described. If the wrench is with the barrels, just keep it for the "set." To make actual barrel changes get a barrel wrench from EWK Arms. The EWK tool is 3 times the quality and will keep your barrel nut undamaged.
    Thank you much for that tip!

My DW In .41 Mag came to me without anything. The guy that consigned it passed away before he found the wrench.

The thing I don’t like about my revolver is that it has a full shroud. I wish it was a short one as I am not a fan of heavy muzzles. The revolver is a tank to begin with and that full shroud just adds that much more.

I will be getting their wrench and watching for other developments there as well.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    My first 'good' revolver was a Dan Wesson M15 in .357 back about 1978. A great gun and the single best 6 shot group I have ever fired, was fired from it.

I haven't owned a Dan Wesson in decades now, but sure wouldn't hesitate to pick up another on a good deal. I was young and dumb back then and traded 'up' to S&W's. Murphy
    Yes, my experience, also!

I picked up a 6" 15-2 a few months ago just to see what all the DW fuss was about. The barrel change feature is going to burn a hole in my pocket- $1100 pistol pack would keep your logistics simpler and save you some cash if you like to tinker. Mine in current form is ok, not great, cylinders are a bit rough (fixable with some polishing) and the barrel has a visibly loose diameter section about an inch long in the middle of the barrel. Presuming it were button rifled it looks like the reamer cut a a bit oversize in one spot before the button was pulled though. Nevertheless, it shoots at least as well as my pinned & recessed 6" S&W Mod 19-2 and 5.5" flat top Blackhawk with the right loads. My DW is very picky about ammo and likes warm loads, possibly due to the barrel defect (bump up?).

I've been waiting for EWK to get some inventory back in stock for several months, is it possible that they are no longer in full time business?

Moderator Emeritus

Imho, Dan Wesson's are indeed one of the "Cadillac's" of revolvers, and it is sad that the Manson, Ma. ones are becoming quite rare! I will offer one -- hopefully positive -- suggestion. To wit, the clockwork on DW's is so tight and precise, removing the side panels on mine revealed a fair amount of rust. Talking to the 'smith I took it to, he indicated it was NOT the first Dan Wesson revolver with "rusty innards" he'd been given. Like ANYTHING used -- might have the one you're viewing be from the arid south-west, or was it carried daily during the rainy season in Seattle ? This, I would think, might be an easy "look-see" before purchase. The hardening on DW innard parts is ever so thin, making any polishing -- including rust removal -- a real challenge! Re grips, they are purveyed on eBay, and also available from many grip makers. I have walnut after-market grips on mine -- not an issue. If you go to the CZ USA site [ http://shop.cz-usa.com ], and click their Dan Wesson link, you can see their present offerings. They, too, have some barrels, shrouds, and other parts available. You may even ring them -- select Extension 21 -- at (607) 336-1174.
    geo

Boolit Master
    George,

That is a good idea to call CZ. I had given up on them quite frankly.

Right after I bought my DW revolver in 22lr I spoke with them and CZ USA had cylinders in 22 for $90 ... they did not last long. I was thinking about getting one and having a Smith ream it out to 22 Mag. but I dwaddled and they got away.

I looked at EWK’s offerings and they have some full shrouds but no lighter ones.

I will give the full shroud credit for one attribute however ..... one could sure hang one heck of a picatanniny rail on the underside of them but the last notch better be saved for axle and a set of wheels to keep the muzzle out of the rocks!

Best regards

Three44s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12