WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: accuracy of Hungrian steyr.

Boolit Buddy

accuracy of Hungrian steyr.

I converted one of my hungrian steyr carbines back to a scount mount scope. It shot a 1/2" 4 shot group at 25 yards with 10 gr.s of red dot powder. I was very happy with this group. using the data from this group I loaded 15gr's, and 16gr's of 2400. both groups had 5 shot groups of 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I as a very happy camper with these groups. I haven't tried honing the action on this rifle "yet"!. thanks to the group for the info on the 16 gr's of 2400 on fairly large cases with lead bullets.I'll have to get my crony and find out the vel. of the 2400 powder. these where shot with a 227gr.s powder coated bullet with gas check! but I was get blow by(the case in the chamber) with the 15gr's of 2400(like in the face)

Boolit Man

Howdy Pakmc,

I'm wondering what boolit you're loading. Your 227-grain weight seems a little high for the standard Lee .329 slug. Might you be resizing the Lee .338 offering to .330-diameter or some such?

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pakmc View Post
    I converted one of my hungrian steyr carbines back to a scount mount scope. It shot a 1/2" 4 shot group at 25 yards with 10 gr.s of red dot powder. I was very happy with this group. using the data from this group I loaded 15gr's, and 16gr's of 2400. both groups had 5 shot groups of 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I as a very happy camper with these groups. I haven't tried honing the action on this rifle "yet"!. thanks to the group for the info on the 16 gr's of 2400 on fairly large cases with lead bullets.I'll have to get my crony and find out the vel. of the 2400 powder. these where shot with a 227gr.s powder coated bullet with gas check! but I was get blow by(the case in the chamber) with the 15gr's of 2400(like in the face)

The group size alone doesn't tell us much. If the holes are strung consistently in one particular direction, it is practically certain to be the rifle. If the group moves as you continue firing, it is likely to be bedding affecting the barrel as it heats up. If the bullets are all over the place, it is the ammunition.

If you have a long enough range to shoot with a trajectory six or eight inches high, you can aim under a mid-range sheet of tissue paper through which the bullets pass. If the bullets change places, for example a given bullet being on the left at mid-range but the right on target, it is imbalance of the bullet mass, with the bullets describing corkscrew paths which coil around one another in flight.

Can you recover any fired bullets? If they are oversize, or upset to become oversize, you are likely to find finning at the rear edge. If they are undersize you are likely to find the rifling more deeply engraved on one side than the other, due to the bullet being pressed against it by centrifugal force.

Banned
    I have no idea what bis is blathering on about , drunk maybe .

Have you tried annealing your cases , it might help with the blow by from the light loads .
    I'd be interested in seeing what the actual velocity is with 15 and 16 grain charges and that heavy bullet to .

Cary Gunn, why re size the Lee .338", it fits the throat of my Stutzen fine & I get good accuracy, which I do not get from the .333" diameter bullet, my 2 cents, FiveFang

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I have no idea what bis is blathering on about , drunk maybe .

Have you tried annealing your cases , it might help with the blow by from the light loads .
    I'd be interested in seeing what the actual velocity is with 15 and 16 grain charges and that heavy bullet to .
    I respect your limitations. The above is all covered by highly regarded ballistic authorities, mostly American, and while the following isn't, it may interest those who take an interest in things.

In the hope that others will understand, are you familiar with the floating chamber used in the .22 rimfire training version of the .45ACP to make the recoil feel realistic, or to cycle the mechanism in .22 training machine-guns? It is just a little cylindrical block, like a cartridge, with the chamber in the middle. Gas gets between the chamber and the solid part of the barrel, and forces them apart. So the floating chamber hits the breech face very hard indeed.

With gas byblow there is gas pressure on both the shoulder of the chamber and the shoulder of the case, possibly even between case body and chamber body, limiting the case's ability to expand and adhere to the chamber. Small differences in case sizing and annealing may make a difference to the impact on the breech face.

Boolit Master

Since the original poster never complained about stringing, and tiny groups at short range hardly lend themselves to debugging via the paper method indicated, alcohol may indeed be involved.

Back to the original poster. Fireform some cases with full pressure loads, then neck size them from there for your reduced loads. That usually solves the blowby issue. If not, report back.

Also, as redneck1 so wisely pointed out, annealing can help.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 05-04-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

While I generally disagree with BIS on all things politics, I greatly respect his firearm knowledge and his ability to administer a “sick burn” as quoted below. This isn’t the pit, and people should be civil here.

“I respect your limitations. The above is all covered by highly regarded ballistic authorities, mostly American, and while the following isn't, it may interest those who take an interest in things.”
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    While I generally disagree with BIS on all things politics, I greatly respect his firearm knowledge and his ability to administer a “sick burn” as quoted below. This isn’t the pit, and people should be civil here.

“I respect your limitations. The above is all covered by highly regarded ballistic authorities, mostly American, and while the following isn't, it may interest those who take an interest in things.”

Yup, we are not trash talkers. We leave that for the oneabees. I second all info given but for me I do nothing until I get a chamber cast slug in empty case. There plenty of how to do's for chamber and barrel slugging here on threads. Then you know exactly what you are working with in dimensions.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I just it pointless to prescribe long range debugging to a problem that doesn't exist, for a short range shooter, and for a rifle with insufficient inherit accuracy to tell the difference. The whole thing is just strange.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

In the link below is my results with cast in my Steyr long rifle. Results of my efforts on pages 2 and 3 with photos. I eventually settled on the Lee .329 bullet casted to .330 with scrap alloy and run through a push through Lee sizer I honed out to .331 to seat the gas checks. So in essence no bullet sizing was done and the gas checks were .001 over the bullet size. A little unorthadox but worked well. I settled on Liquid Alox and Paste Wax tumble lubing (2 coats) as a great lube with zero leading using a load that approximated 20 grains of 2400. (It was using Swedish 6.5 surplus powder which is between 2400 and Unique in burn rate). 15 grains of this "fast pistol" swedish powder was too sooty. 20 to 21 grains gave great results and good power without excessive pressure signs.

My rifle slugged .331 by the way. I tried shooting 338 as cast bullets but no matter how well lubed they leaded terribly within 5 shots. Sizing them down to .331 resulted in completely eliminating the lube grooves as well. Though it did chamber just fine even unsized at 338!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...th-8x56r/page3
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Gunn View Post
    Howdy Pakmc,

I'm wondering what boolit you're loading. Your 227-grain weight seems a little high for the standard Lee .329 slug. Might you be resizing the Lee .338 offering to .330-diameter or some such?

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --
    I'm using the Lee .338 mold and resizing the bullet back to .334, and then powder coating them. they are showing good accuracy. at 1050 to 1300FPS. (with gas checks)

Super Moderator

..............Getting serious with one of these things can be a real marriage wrecker The entire family of these rifles are just alike, except they all had different mom's and dad's. I've had 6 of them pass thru my hands. I still have 3 of them. Every one had different groove dimensions, but the lands varied the least. The grooves were mind numbing. I have one that looks brand new and it is all matching and the grooves go .334".

My number 1 suggestion for ANYONE who is attempting cast lead in one of these things is to slug the barrel. It can be an enlightening experience One of the M95's I had was very nice externally. It was re-barreled and re-chambered to 30-40 Krag.

No flies on accuracy once the science fiction type chamber, throat, bore and groove dimensions were dispensed with and something 'Of this world' replaced it

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I've owned two and if another comes my way- read Buckshot's last sentence above. It will be rebarreled poste haste.

I have a Steyr M1895 1917 dated Calvary Carbine that was converted to 8x56R and i have a lot of fun with it. i use the NOE 339-230-RF which IIRC is referred to as the Frankenstein Boolit. with my gun i shoot these at .338. My gun has a barrel that slugs .335, BUT the throat of my gun slugs at .338 and fired shells show that the chamber of my gun could accept a larger boolit.

With these guns you really need to load for what your gun needs, and once youve found that these guns shoot fairly well.

i can Manage 2-3" groups on a good day with my 1895. Also the 8x56R will really knock over some Florida Deer with cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi CAry, yes, I'm pouring the Lee .338 bullet with GC. I powder coat them and then resize to .334. they are working good in my two rifles and two carbines(yes, 8x56R)

Boolit Master

I am also casting and loading the NOE "Frankenstein" bullet in my M95. I usually just load it with 2400 and bang steel plates at 100-200yds for fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Franken bullet web.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	229101

Wow does that thing have a short Case neck ! Is that the norm on the chambers on these rifles ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Wow does that thing have a short Case neck? Is that the norm on the chambers on these rifles ?
    ............Yes, the case neck is short. . However in the photo it is compared to the 30-40 Krag which has a long neck. Yet for comparisons sake, the 8x56R is VERY short. I am NOT an expert on these rifles/carbines, but from my experience (What I've read) you will be very lucky to acquire one with realistic barrel dimensions.

They are a fairly powerful cartridge. More powerful then the 30-40 Krag and approaching the 308 realistically and possibly the 30-06 a bit optimistically . I have an absolutely wondrous M95 Steyr:

It appears to be all matching, and the barrel bore is nice and bright. However it is not a tack driver. It would be a wonderfull brush gun. For longer range I'd simply go and buy one of the plethora of the modern made budget bolt action rifles out there on the market.

However, if you're looking for a challange ................... one of these my friend, would probably supply all the challange you could stand

..............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-23-2018 at 03:47 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance