RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
PBcastcoLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: How much can you size down with a Lube Master?

Boolit Buddy

How much can you size down with a Lube Master?

As the title says......

The reason for asking is that I cast 405 gr boolits for 45-70. They drop about. 461 from the mould with hardball alloy. To size it to 459 is normal procedure of course but some of the 460 guys have taken interest and want this boolit sized down to feed their recoil hungry revolvers. For this I've used the Lee sizer kit, and it does the task without problems but when you sell a bunch of these boolits it's getting old real fast! Because of the GC I have to do this in steps I get that but, if i can use my BM more in the process, that would free up both time and strain on my shoulder.

I'm thinking 3 steps:
    1. Sizing to 459 with BM and applying lube
    2. Sizing to 452 with BM
    3. Putting on GC with Star

It's step 2 I'm concerned about with so much in one step. Is it putting too much strain on the machine? I tried it with the Star and it's clearly putting too much strain on that, in the long run. I learned that the hard way!

Another sollution may be to size in lesser increments but I'm not sure how much time that would save.

The easiest way is of course to buy a new set of moulds to drop the pills closer to sizing diameter but I'm trying to work with what I have to cut expenses.

Any other ideas? Does anybody know how much these machines are made to size down. I'm guessing 3 thousands on the Star.......

Thanks!

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Try a Lee Sizer first using your press...then run them through the Star for the final sizing.

Its how I'd do it.

[EDIT] - nevermind...I see you have this setup already but want something quicker due to volume...sorry...I missed that in my initial reading.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 03-08-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: my own ineptness.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    I ended up with the same question. I got several hundred CB's unsized at a sale. They're .458 and weigh in at 240, they are a KT bullet. I would like to run them out of my S&W Mod 25 but my star said it didn't like sizing them that much. So am thinking of trading them off or maybe buying a .454 star die to do the thing in a couple steps. Then I have to PC them and run them through the Star one more time. Star says yes to that, shoulder says, you got enough Ibuprofen?......