Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Progressive rifled choke for a slug?

Boolit Bub

Progressive rifled choke for a slug?

Would it make sense to make it progressive rifling? Make it start out straight rifling to set the grooves in place on the slug, then progressively get up to the rate of twist needed?

Kind of like throwing a train on a set of tracks right before a turn vs already having the train on the tracks before the turn?

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I think with the slow twist required for round ball or "square" slug it wouldn't matter and likely not worth the effort of producing progressive twist rifling especially in a short length. The Paradox guns worked just fine. Read Ross Seyfried's article on his Paradox gun, very interesting. He got it to perform as advertised keeping shots from both barrels in a 5" group at 100 yards. and that with about 3" of rifled choke. That would make me very happy.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    I read some of his articles, very good stuff.

I was surprised to see the revolver he had modified.

I actually take a 460 case and neck it down so it fits the full length of the cylinder of my 45lc ruger blackhawk. Few grains of red dot, waxed paper plate card, and some 7 1/2s followed by a waxed paper plate as a top card and a little glue and a light crimp. It holds ~5/8 oz of shot. It throws a wonderful pattern at an honest 10 yards. We compared it to a taurus judge on a feedsack. There was no comparison, the judges pattern looked aweful time and time again. Minimal pellets on the sack. Where the ruger looked perfect with no donut. Just a nice even and tight pattern.

I wonder what the reason is that you cant buy a rifled choke with a lower spin. There's got to be a reason....

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Economics ! Most shotgun shooters are not interested in round ball, reloading, wad testing and all else that gets written about here.
    Maybe 1 out of a hundred would even consider reading articles in the is Forum.
    So probably the only way to see a slow twist screw in choke is a group buy. But then how many of us even use the same "thread type" in a screw in choke ?
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.