WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herco ??

Boolit Bub
    I use Herco in my 6" 686 with a Saeco #382 LSWC and 8.0gr for 1219 fps no leading or other problems. I have gone higher but pressure issues started showing up

Boolit Buddy
    The 49th Lyman manual lists a Herco load range that puts 7.5 gr about in the middle of the range for .357 Mag loads in a .357 case. My old 45th Edition Lyman manual from back when I started reloading 40 years ago lists 7.0 gr as a starting load for .357 Mag in a .357 case, and a max load of 11.6 gr(compressed load). The 11.6 gr load was considered a "Factory Duplication" load.
    So, I will agree with a couple of posters there in that I don't think it is your load per se. But, the cylinder gap in your gun seems a bit on the large side.
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 04-20-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Banned

don't know how many thousands of rounds of 44 and 45 ive shot using herco but in the 10s of thousands. Herco is my go to powder for the 45 colt and has been for 40 years. Ive never once seen it damage a forcing cone or damage a top strap. At least not unless your looking at thousands of rounds and normal wear. something else is going on there. My guess is you have a very generous cylinder gap. If herco is doing it my best advice is to stay far away from ball powders especially power pistol.

Herco is right between Unique and Power Pistol in terms of burn rate. Just about fitting in where BE-86 now sits. 800X is another powder with the same speed, but the big flakes are not handgun reloader friendly. Are you sure the "lead splashes" at the front of the barrel isn't antimony wash?

Moderator Emeritus

I bought my first lb of Herco in 1978 and this is the first I have heard of flame cutting associated with it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I tried a variety of powders today in .44 Special loads using a 200 grain flat nose bullet cast from a SAECO mould. Velocities varied from about 850 fps to just under 1,000 fps. Powders were Bullseye, 231, Unique, HS-6, and Herco. The Herco is probably from the '70s. A Herco load of 7.5 grs. (920 fps from 6" Model 29) proved to be the most accurate. I intend to load up some more to verify.

Boolit Grand Master

My "go to" powder for +P 9mm loads. With 115 gr Speer Gold Dot my CZ75 pushed them at 1300 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    No problems at all with Herco .44mag,.45 colt and cast loads in rifles good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    My "go to" powder for +P 9mm loads. With 115 gr Speer Gold Dot my CZ75 pushed them at 1300 fps.
    Every time I see a load that produces like that I think WOW. Then I remember you have pressure testing equipment and think Ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12