Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosin Nagant Question

Boolit Master
    FWIW, you can also have Lee make you a custom set of collet dies for not too much money - around $50, last I looked. And, I believe that either RCBS or Redding do make a 7,62X54R neck sizing die.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    To the OP,

I believe Larry also added in his first post that you don’t need to squeeze the collet fully against the mandrel with the Lee collet die. You were concerned about the collet die over sizing your necks and they in turn resizing your cast boolits.

Just thought I would point out what he added, in case you missed that.

I personally have not done the light sizing with my collet dies intentionally but have on more than one occasion unintentionally undersized necks when loading j-words so I know that the technique should give you some relief.

On the other hand I certainly attest to the washer trick. It’s a winner.

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Ok guys. Got my 8mm neck sizing/ decapping pins from Lee today. Will try these and the washer method to see which process I like best.

Now, what .314 mold should I get? Lee is the cheapest of course, but they only offer it in .312 and my barrel slugs at .313. Lyman and NOE both make one for about the same money. Any others you know of or can recommend would be great.

Boolit Grand Master

You got 8mm?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    You got 8mm?

Yes. I plan to turn it down to .315, test it with a boolit for proper neck tension, repeat as necessary. Also want to try your washer method.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    Yes. I plan to turn it down to .315, test it with a boolit for proper neck tension, repeat as necessary. Also want to try your washer method.
    Good idea!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Now, what .314 mold should I get? Lee is the cheapest of course, but they only offer it in .312 and my barrel slugs at .313. Lyman and NOE both make one for about the same money. Any others you know of or can recommend would be great.
    Some flavor of the 314299. I have the NOE version (314202) and it casts purty bullets the shoot real good in my 91/30.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Buddy
    Good idea!
    I cannot take crexit for the idea. Pirate69 in post #12 gave me the suggestion.

Boolit Grand Master

I cannot take crexit for the idea. Pirate69 in post #12 gave me the suggestion.
    Good on pirate69 for the idea and good on you for giving it a try.......

I have a Lyman 2 cavity 314299 and a 4 cavity NOE 314202. Both cast excellent bullets of equal quality and accuracy. I mostly use the NOE because it casts more quicker..... but I believe NOE also makes the 314202 in a 2 cavity.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Probably already mentioned but if you call Lee they will send you the expander that is used in .303 British dies. This is what I did.

Being a machinist though I took this one step further and also polished the neck sizing portion of the die so it doesn't size the neck down to hold a .308" bullet to start with.

When loading cast bullets I use a M die to expand the case neck too.

Motor

Yes, like this;

Attachment 216111
    Any suggestions on what thickness of washer to start out with? Just got my Lee 308 collet die in and have some once fired cases to play with.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    Any suggestions on what thickness of washer to start out with? Just got my Lee 308 collet die in and have some once fired cases to play with.
    I just used one that fit out of my coffee can of odds n ends nuts and bolts...........but I measured it for you; 0.079"
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

When I got my Lee 7.62x54R die set I ordered the mandrel for the 303 British. It's a .311 Just about right for a .313 boolit.
    Leo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12