RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant Question

Boolit Buddy

Mosin Nagant Question

The bore on my MN slugs @ .313 with a lead fishing weight and measured with Starett mics. I have a set of Lee dies, but the expander plug only measures .308. My question is; where can I find a .313 expander die, and what boolit mold would you recommend? Thanks in advance, Bruce.

Boolit Master
    NOE makes excellent expander inserts for Lee expander dies. As to molds, I am having great success with the NOE 316399 sized to .314. Over on another forum, they are recommending the Accurate 31-215B (which I may be ordering today).
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    NOE makes excellent expander inserts for Lee expander dies. As to molds, I am having great success with the NOE 316399 sized to .314. Over on another forum, they are recommending the Accurate 31-215B (which I may be ordering today).
    Afraid I can't offer too much on top of the above, glad you thought about it,308 stem for 313 boolits, you saved your self some trouble.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a MISQUOTE. I meant a neck sizing die, not an expander die. Sorry guys.

Boolit Master

I got your meaning; no worries. As far as expanding until you get a Lyman m die of some other flavor you can always just the old long needle nose pliers trick.

Boolit Master

My lee dies came with two interchangeable expander buttons I think. one 308 and one 311. I have used the 311 for cast bullets in my 06 on occasion . Now they have been mixed and matched with several die sets.

edit, I have been thinking about my reply here and it has come to me that my dies which have been packed up for about a year are in fact RCBS dies with multiple expander buttons. Sorry about that!
    Last edited by frkelly74; 03-09-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: correction
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

If you just want to neck size back your full length die out a turn or two and you have a neck sizing die. However, the chambers on the mosen are usually not round and you may have a hard time getting the round back in, unless you orient each round. Try putting a round back in that you haven't resized.
    If you are looking for accuracy you may want to get some cork gaskets and place them in the stock at the pressure points (barrel bands) and under the action at the screws, polish the trigger with an emery board, and you will have a fine shooting gun.
    http://www.smith-sights.com/article-...sin-nagant.php

Boolit Grand Master

I mostly used a shortened Redding 284 Win die with appropriate bushing to NS the 7.62x54R cases so there was just .002 neck tension.

The best and cheapest way is to use a Lee .308W collet die with a washer slipped over the case to properly push on the collet. With that you can easily turn the die in or out for the proper minimal sizing of the neck for .002 to .003 neck tension. No need to size the neck down against the mandrel. I size the necks just enough so they are a tight slip fit on the Lyman 31 M die expander. The expander then just flares the case mouth so the GC on the 314299 just sits inside the case mouth. The .314 sized 314299s then seat perfectly.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I mostly used a shortened Redding 284 Win die with appropriate bushing to NS the 7.62x54R cases so there was just .002 neck tension.

The best and cheapest way is to use a Lee .308W collet die with a washer slipped over the case to properly push on the collet. With that you can easily turn the die in or out for the proper minimal sizing of the neck for .002 to .003 neck tension. No need to size the neck down against the mandrel. I size the necks just enough so they are a tight slip fit on the Lyman 31 M die expander. The expander then just flares the case mouth so the GC on the 314299 just sits inside the case mouth. The .314 sized 314299s then seat perfectly.
    Larry, just a plain ole washer slipped over the case? I sure don't want the the neck to size down the .314 bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    If you just want to neck size back your full length die out a turn or two and you have a neck sizing die. However, the chambers on the mosen are usually not round and you may have a hard time getting the round back in, unless you orient each round. Try putting a round back in that you haven't resized.
    If you are looking for accuracy you may want to get some cork gaskets and place them in the stock at the pressure points (barrel bands) and under the action at the screws, polish the trigger with an emery board, and you will have a fine shooting gun.
    http://www.smith-sights.com/article-...sin-nagant.php
    Polish everything up and maybe inspect the stock for wood to metal
    Contact as in tight spots putting in or taking out the barreled action. And that is correct above you many find an out of "round" chamber and who knows what else. I've seen tooling marks on trigger groups that look as though they must have been done with a Rock and a dull chisel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Polish everything up and maybe inspect the stock for wood to metal
    Contact as in tight spots putting in or taking out the barreled action. And that is correct above you many find an out of "round" chamber and who knows what else. I've seen tooling marks on trigger groups that look as though they must have been done with a Rock and a dull chisel.
    I've already done all of that. I am now ready to start reloading but first I must get the inside neck diameter closer to .313. Until I can get a die as Larry suggested, I th ink I'll try the needle nose pliers trick.

Boolit Master

I have had luck doing the following. Buy a Lee replacement decapping pin for a larger caliber. In the case, a 8MM. Chuck it up in a drill press or hand drill and using a file, cut it down to a diameter about 2-3 thousands great than what you want the final inside diameter of the case neck to be. Allows for some brass spring back. Polish with some very fine sandpaper and replace the factory decapping pin and see how it works. If neck is too loose, sand a little more off until you get the tension you want. Careful, you can only adjust the tension one way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    I have had luck doing the following. Buy a Lee replacement decapping pin for a larger caliber. In the case, a 8MM. Chuck it up in a drill press or hand drill and using a file, cut it down to a diameter about 2-3 thousands great than what you want the final inside diameter of the case neck to be. Allows for some brass spring back. Polish with some very fine sandpaper and replace the factory decapping pin and see how it works. If neck is too loose, sand a little more off until you get the tension you want. Careful, you can only adjust the tension one way.
    Yes very good idea, and yes you can only go one way an size of the spindle; to go back up to a larger size you'd need a board stretcher and a Rebigulator ray. Very pricey and hard to find

Boolit Buddy
    Pirate69 - thanks for the info. Got 2 pins ordered. Just in case I screw one up. Or if I ever get another MN with a different groove diameter. Bruce

Boolit Master

glad to help

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    Larry, just a plain ole washer slipped over the case? I sure don't want the the neck to size down the .314 bullet.
    Yes, like this;

Attachment 216111
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I use a modified Lee 303 Brit collet and a larger mandrel. Still get the same results as Larry with the 308 die. One benefit of the collet die is that you save over working the brass, it sizes to correct size in one pass. The FL die sizes to small and the expander has to open it back up.

Dave

Boolit Master

I've done it the same way Larry Gibson shows in the pic. (this was covered on the surplus rifle forum years ago - you just have to sort through your assortment of washers and find one the right thickness) I ordered an "oversize" expander for my Lee f/l die. I also have a "universal" .30 cal. neck sizer made by Hornady with an oversize expander button in it. I use the Hornady die except when I need to f/l size.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    Larry - wow. Something so easy as a washer! I'd of never think it! I will have to try this also. This forum is chocked full of very knowledge and talented members! Thanks SO much. Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    Washer, works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast