Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a lathe, maybe this would do for a small first project?

Boolit Master
    Use 4140/4130 pre hard, that’s probably what the original is. While your at it make it a bit oversized to take some of the slop out of the cylinder for too, you will likely only get .0005/.001 better fit. Work slow and polish to final fit.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy
    You can make a base pin, but you can get a original.

Call VTI gun parts, the nice lady knows all about the Uberti single actions.

Vendor Sponsor

My dad would say, "Ask ten people and get ten different opinions."
    I didn't really get it when I was a kid.

He was a machinist at the Navel Gun factory WWII. I am a wanna-be home machinist with his old iron. I'll never be him!

To the OP, having some shop tools is GREAT! Have fun and enjoy making things!
    You can't go wrong with any of the advise this thread has given! Try stuff and the more you make, the better you will get. It is exactly like aiming a gun and pulling the trigger. The people who do it lots and lots, get good!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I'd not waste my time on cold blue or magic marker when fire bluing is so danged easy. Looks better to boot!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Have fun with your new lathe.
    Yep have fun with that lathe, it's never ending and it never get's boring (well not that kind of boring anyway!)! You guys that are suggesting he just buy the part are missing the point I think, he wants to use his lathe to make a part with and that's the reason we have our lathes in the first place. I admire folks who want to make things themselves, sure the part is relatively inexpensive but that's not everything and I myself often make parts I could buy rather than spend the time making them but usually it's enjoyable time being spent. Buy a part and wait several days for it to arrive then install it, what's the fun in that? Grab a piece of available material (often something that otherwise would just be scrap) spend a short time at the lathe and have the part with little or no cost and no waiting for it to arrive plus having the satisfaction and pride in knowing you made it yourself and no longer have to be dependent on others for parts that might eventually not even be available.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    Oldred is spot on. Making stuff builds knowledge, skill, confidence and independence.

As the late, great Jean Shepherd remarked, nobody ever has to learn how to spend money. We all have that “skill” hard-wired in.

Boolit Master
    I'm afraid I haven't gotten anywhere with the project yet, I was dialing in a piece of shaft I was gonna use but was chasing my own tail, turns out the 4-jaw chuck suffers from bellmouth on two of the jaws so I was not able to properly clamp down the part and it kept moving so I never got it true. So now I am gonna try and bore the jaws with a carbide boring bar once I make a preloading ring. I think I need to do something similar with my 3-jaw which is atrocious, though it might just be worn out, can't hurt to try.

It's pretty typical really, you start on a project but before that project is finished it has spawned at least two more projects you need to finish it

My shop (free standing garage) is now divided into a small metal section that houses my lathe, the biger section is woodworking related (mostly). It is a huge mess in the pictures, re-organizing time.

I never use that door so I don't mind putting the workbench in the way, it's much better this way.

You can see I favor old iron, and modifying / building my own tools.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    It is a huge mess in the pictures, re-organizing time.
    I disagree, it's just a bit cluttered and shows signs of use not cleaning neglect. That shop appears to me to be clean, even if a bit cluttered, and well lit as it should be, nope that shop looks as if it is just being used and not messy at all.

I like old iron also, from shop machinery to farm tractors, and I even see my shop heater sitting there!!!!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Wish my shop was as tidy as yours
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grobet file cherry handle stainless ferrel 20180404_115402.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	217705

I made a file handle on the lathe last night.
    Just keep making stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12