Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Question about a new barrell

Boolit Bub

Question about a new barrell

I have a new Green Mountain barrel on the way. Any advice for shooting a new barrel? Any break-in suggestions?
    Joe

Boolit Master
    clean out all the machining oils thoroughly. then commence with patch roundball. Patches will likely come out shredded. over time the shredding will stop. use a good patch lube....like t/c bore butter. I swab between every shot. Some don't.

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped using bore butter as in my experience it seasons or leaves a deposit that I personally think makes clean up harder than needed. I just use mink oil, a 5.00 tin will last the rest of your life

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Before even installing, polish the beejeebers out of the bore with a tight patch and polishing compound. It will save a couple hundred rounds of breaking it in.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 w/ waksupi. Tight patch, Flitz, polishing compound, or some other fine abrasive and hundreds of FULL LENGTH passes. You'll be happier in the long run. Future clean ups will be easier, too.

Boolit Master
    I have several GM barrels, all I had to do to them, was clean the oil and grease out and start shooting them!

Boolit Grand Master

J B bore paste the heck out of it working from the breech before install then just shoot it.

Boolit Master

I use Clover on my patches for the first ten patches. Works real well for me.

Boolit Master
    I'd clean it good first. Then shoot and look at the patches. If they look 'torn up' then polish it.

Boolit Master
    I contacted Green Mountain about their black powder barrels and they said there is no break-in procedure. They said to shoot 5 shots and clean between shots. It's your barrel, do what you want....just saying
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master

On new barrels I just start shooting them. Some barrels will take 100 shots before they settle down and start shooting good, other shoot good from the start. When I rifle a barrel here I take a few passes with 4/0 steel wool to get all the burs out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    On new barrels I just start shooting them. Some barrels will take 100 shots before they settle down and start shooting good, other shoot good from the start. When I rifle a barrel here I take a few passes with 4/0 steel wool to get all the burs out.
    My experience also. I have tried the shoot-clean-shoot-clean regimen and can see no worthy results. Keep shooting a new barrel, and they seem to get better as the rounds add up. It will all take care of its self.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    What ever you do... make sure you clean it out first.

RJ:
    Clean it and use spit for patch lube, just keep shootin and spittin!
    Nit Wit

Clean all the grease out then start shooting it. I've never done anything to the bores of the rifles I own prior to shooting except clean them.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.