Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 500 S&W Maxi-ball

Boolit Buddy

500 S&W Maxi-ball

I purchased some lead at an estate sale and there were around 75 Maxi-balls cast and in a tub with some round balls. Thought I would size them up and shoot them. Anybody else do this craziness in a revolver?
    They weigh 368gr and they are loaded with 36gr of 4759. Should be fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 Maxi-ball.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	215971

Banner Sponsor

Those Maxi Balls should be fun to try. Let us know how they shoot.

I have loaded the Lee 500-360 Minnie in a 50AE BFR before. I made light loads for my son when he was much younger. He was able to hit the 100yd gong fairly consistently from the bench. He said I ruined the gun when I sent it off to become a 500JRH.
    I'd think the 360 Minnie loaded backwards would make a huge hollow point, if they'd shoot straight. Something to put on the todo list,

Name:	500gn-01.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	216053

Name:	500jrh-04.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	216054

Boolit Buddy

That's a beautiful BFR and exactly the caliber and length that I want. Someday.

I loaded up a total of 10 maxi-balls to try. Might have been pushing them to hard (11 bhn) but it was fun. 1250 fps, 10 shots in 4" @ 25 yds. Not good at all. At least I know they will work in a pinch and may mess with them a little more down the road.

My mold just got here from Miha and that will occupy my time for a while!

Boolit Master
    I used the Lee R E A L 200gr in a 45Colt and Auto. Tho think I had way to much lube on them. Should re-try with some LLA. Didn’t shoot very accurate in both rifles and pistols. Looks like yours would have made venison or bacon.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    I used the Lee R E A L 200gr in a 45Colt and Auto. Tho think I had way to much lube on them. Should re-try with some LLA. Didn’t shoot very accurate in both rifles and pistols. Looks like yours would have made venison or bacon.
    I also have used the Lee 200g REAL in the various .45 chambered revolvers and even had a Colt 1991A1 that would feed it, made a dandy wadcutter type load. So when the big .500 came out I tried the 320g .50 REAL in those with TrailBoss. Went so far as to set-up that mold in my mill and modify base band for a slightly larger diameter , decreased the volume of lower grease groove and gave it a plain base configuration. Made a fun little wadcutter load until I replaced mold with a 3 cavity plain-based truncated cone design 330g that NEI had designed for the .50AE revolvers