Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well ...I went and messed up big this time !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Well ...I went and messed up big this time !

For several years everyone has been on me to get a 'better' cell phone . My son is the worst offender , constantly ragging on me to get rid of my genuine Pantech flip phone that I bought used off EBAY bout five years ago for a steal at $22.00. He is always touting all you can do with a 'smart' phone but in my constant war against technology I have stood my ground . I always fought back reminding him my phone had a ..pill reminder and would hold an amazing 30 text messages !

Last week he was relentless , tormenting me to get a new phone . My battery had played out and a replacement battery from EBAY was DOA on opening the package . He kept at me saying the batteries had been discontinued and they were all old stock ....junk . After a few days without a phone I started looking online with dread . Ordered a last years model Galaxy J3 basic model for bout $75.00 less than current model . My finger was quivering and struggling against my mind with I clicked buy . I had lost another battle in my personal war against technology . For the last several years I have been convinced Silicon Valley has put out a hit contract out on me because I'm the only thing holding them back .

I got my new phone yesterday at the shop , it showed up in 2 days ...EBAY couldn't wait to put this spawn of Satan in my hands . As I struggled the get it out of the packaging wrought in the very depths of hell I could smell brimstone and Sulphur fumes leaking out of it .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

You, sir, are lost.

It's so sad. The spiral into hell itself has started.

I have 3 requirements for my phone 1 it rings 2 I can put in a number and talk to a live person 3 I can hang it up other than that I could care less what other people do no smart phones he he he he D Crockett

Boolit Master

I have already descended to one of the lower levels of hell..my phone is also my travel email/computer for work because the nature of the job, I can't let aid/grant requests go unanswered for more than a day so folks don't think they aren't being ignored when they are on the low point.

www.legion.org/ocw and www.legion.org/familysupport. Both keep me quite busy.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    The longer I use my smart phone, the more uses I find for it. My oldest daughter and I text each other all the time. Most often, when I hear her ringtone, it invariably brings a smile to my face

Boolit Master

All I can say, is that you will be in good company while your're roasting!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned
    I was forced into the pits of hell by work---- now I find myself asking Google (my phone) questions several times a day.
    It consistently shows me how ignorant I am and frequently puts words in my mouth (in the message) which often can be amusing to embarrassing.

Well I got dragged into the cell phone thing kicking and screaming. I refuse to take it with me everywhere I go.

We went with Consumer Cellular for provider, pretty reasonable.
    50$ bill covers both our phones, unlimited text and minutes. No data.

My new smart phone has been lobotomised by me. Yeah I dumped google.
    Turned off the cell phone data, wifi, bluetooth.

Added a little app that makes it so it does not even ring if your not in my contact list.

I don't need a mini computer, I have a laptop for that.
    Kids can maybe do it on a small screen I'm never even going to try.

For what I need it for, it works fine. Sits on the dock, does not bother me much. Place a nice little tone when I get a text message from my wife or family.

It is a Doro 824, cost 100$, and has a few annoying habits. Like losing the cell network 3-30 seconds into a call. And won't get it back until you reboot.

Keeps trying to turn wifi on and update google. Guess again demon's spawn, guess again!

Boolit Master
    My first smart phone was forced on me because my LG flip phone wound up very clear but very dead. I check the pockets of my laundry now.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    I can hang it up other than that I could care less what other people do no smart phones he he he he D Crockett
    My biggest regret of cell phones is the fact that you just can't slam down phone anymore!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I think I may own the last of the key-wind phones... as long as it works, it stays. 1st mobile phone I got in self-defense. Saw a kid get his leg cut off on a drilling rig and then have to lay there for two hours due to a lack of communication. As soon as I got back to civilization, I bought a GPS, a marine signal kit (w/ flares, smoke, engr tape...), and a bag phone. Told the kid I didn't care what it weighed, the truck could carry it... but I wanted to be able to talk to Mars. When you keyed the handset the truck lights would dim. Now THAT was a phone.

Moderator Emeritus

Next thing you know you will be paying Angry Birds, texting everyone, reading Cast Boolits on the phone...

Boolit Master

Technology is good and evil. Just got to remember to disconnect and enjoy the world around us. After 30, i am not glued to it any more. However i use my phone relentlessly for reloading. All my manuals and notes are on a cloud drive so i can switch to phone on the go and at the range then switch to my tablet at the house.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

My wife keeps bugging me to replace my old flip phone. I told her if I had a smart phone I would be able to use some of her plans precious 40 gigs of data. I haven't heard much about a new phone since.

Charlie, I have a spare flip phone if you want to come back from the dark side.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Why do they still call the new-fangled contraptions phones? Taking or answering a call is the least important thing they are capable of. I despise carrying the darn things. Although it's just a simple fliper, it's a hassle, catching on everything I get close to. It never rings unless I'm mid-bite at supper and it's usually a wrong number. When it rings after bedtime it gets me all rilled up and there's no sleep for half an hr.
    If I wanted a game boy or a computer, they sell them but I ain't buying.
    It burns my bacon to see folks sitting beside each other, texting. Young folks aren't even taught to write without printing, but they know all the shortcut words by the time they are in school. Don't even get me started on whole families around the table, each intently working the phone as if they were alone.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    The OP is a kindred spirit. I'm, by nature, technoresistant. I know it's to my detriment, but I still navigate with a compass, and I know to my depths that there is only one time system worth recognizing: Indian time -- summer, fall, winter & spring.

Just watch out for the spell correction when you text. I had a lady friend who went back to college to get caught up on math for a new job she was trying to get. She didn't do well on a test so she was retaking it....so I texted her but spell correct took over. My text came out as "Did you get your teats redone?" The response was "Why? I thought my teats were spectacular the way they are." It was kinda embarrassing...but we still laugh about that one.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Boaz - thanks a lot, pal. You just painted a target on my back. Silicon Valley is going to send a "visitor" to see me! If you thought you were the last man in civilization to refuse to carry a smart-*** phone, think again. Here I sit with my trusty flip phone on the table beside me waiting for our daughter to call. This phone is compact and lightweight, reliable, and I know how to operate it without having to read (and carry with me) an instruction journal as big as the Sunday newspaper (yup, I still get the printed version). The contract for this phone is cheap, just like it's owner. Guess it's time to stock up on groceries and barricade the doors.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    My biggest regret of cell phones is the fact that you just can't slam down phone anymore!
    Pushing a button just ain't the same!!

Boolit Master

My wife wouldn't hush until we got her one of those danged things but I kept my Samsung Convoy flip phone, simple, tough as nails and easy to use. She fusses and complains constantly about how her "Smart" (that should be diabolical!) phone won't let her do what she wants or does things she don't want it to do then whenever she needs to make a phone call I hear "let me borrow your phone"!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast