RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well ...I went and messed up big this time !

I have a mint razor flip phone I'm going to resurrect after I retire and rid myself of this insufferable I-phone my job supplies. My boss texts me and I call him back. I tell him this is what it's designed for, that's why it's called a phone and not a typewriter.

I do take a lot of pictures though but my razor does that too.
    "Fast is fine accurate is final"

Boolit Grand Master

I've carried the cheapest phone possible for the last 20+ years, "for emergencies". So far the emergencies have mostly included, what I'm supposed to bring home for dinner, or can I pick up this or that one from school. I'm not complaining about not having a real emergency, but it sure is convenient for everyone but me.
    The last time I tried to call a nonemergency (minor finder binder) report to the local law, my battery went dead in the middle of the call and when the dispatcher tried to call me back it would ring and hang up. Caused all manner of confusion and consternation, that I had no control over.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    My first cell phone was mounted in my '93 company truck. It has been a slippery slope down hill from there. In the truck I could turn off the horn so I didn't know when people were calling while I was out of the truck. My current IPhone I can leave on the kitchen counter or my desk and it works the same as the truck phone did. The bonus with the IPhone is it will tell me where to go, and that usually doesn't start with "H" like a lot of peoples directions.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't want...a camera, a game boy, a map, a phone directory, an internet connection or 400 other APPS! I talk you talk good enough!

Boolit Grand Master

Must admit I'm on my second "smart" phone even though my "dumb" phone was much smarter than I. I'm learning to use more features as time goes by but the capabilities are mindboggling. I still keep a flip phone around for special situations, amazing what a $20 phone can do.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

This generation! I tell you that we are on the road to ruin. I tell you that electricity will be the death of this country. Nobody knows how to start a fire for heat or light or cooking or smoke signals. Those durn gasoline engines will cause ruination of this generation. Don't get me started on those new fangled medicines. Willow tea and bear fat is all you need.

Color that paragraph purple for me.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

I have a flip phone in my vehicle. It stays turned off until I need it. And I have to really "need it" before I turn it on!

Wife wants to get me a smart phone with all the bells and whistles, But I really don't want to strain my brain trying to figure it out!

Boaz, hope the new phone proves to be an asset to you!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

My Dad still complains about phones in general. Especially when the Grand Kids come over and instead of interacting they all have their faces stuck in the stupid phones. The only reason is for that FaceTime call from his youngest daughter in Montana and the Grand Son! His eyes just sparkle. Especially since the Grand Son was named after him even more!

We should demand cell phone jammers be legalized.

Why can't the phone be made to ring more than three times before it switches to voice mail?

Why can't text messages be shut off?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master

Like many of you, I entered the Smart Phone world kicking, screaming and complaining! I've gradually learned to appreciate at least some of the things that it can do. The camera is better than the compact Nikon camera that I used to have. The GPS is better than the TomTom that I used to use. Its convenient to have Google at your fingertips. Text and Email are at your fingertips. I'm finding ways to make it work for me instead of the other way around. Spellcheck sucks. If I need it to kick in and help me with a word, forget it. But it really likes to change my choice of words! I've learned to proof read any important texts!

If I'm working on something, sometimes I'll take a picture before I disassemble it. Like the bolt stop and spring on a Remington trigger. I broke a hydrohlic hose on a tractor yesterday. I took a picture of its location before I went to the store. I also have loaded several apps that are useful to me. One that comes to mind is for voltage drop. I have also found that weather apps and access to radar are nice. I could continue...........

I'm not trying to sell anyone on a smart phone. I hate the things! But, like I said I've tried to find a way to make it work for me. I do wish that I could buy a jammer for the times that I'm stuck in line behind someone in the checkout line with a phone stuck in their ear!

As for me, my family says I still use a steam powered phone. It's a LG flip phone. It's not that I can't figure out how to use the new tech but what's the advantage of it. I started with computers back in the mid '80's, when the UA of our unit called me into his office on drill and said if I wasn't busy to come in the next couple of days and make a database of our commo equipment for the unit. I wasn't doing anything so I came in and learned how to make a DB and entered the the stuff into the system. From there things went along and I was offered some new jobs and new things, some things I adopted and some things I didn't. When the flood came and we had to move out of our house and live in our camper for a couple of months. The wife got a Flip phone from her son and I got one from a cell phone company for free. Both phones got calls and no text messages and had no contracts. I got bumped to AT&T a couple of years later and they gave me a new phone that will receive text messages, which I answer with a phone call. Most of the email and internet browsing I do is on a laptop. I just can't see the spending of more money to use a smartphone when The flip phone I got works just fine. Maybe I'm the dino that my kids call me but at my age, who cares. Just my 2 Cents to add.
    Rob

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    In all honesty I don't call anyone unless it a serious situation . Though everyone carries a phone most will not even answer a phone call . It doesn't upset me , it's just the norm now . If my phone rings I just pick it up and say....................Hello . I'm still living in the past lol , things change .
    No turning back , No turning back !

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Took years for me to get a phone without a cord still have 2 corded and 1 cordless no cell phone will ever be on me!!! Doubt want one won't have one. Wife has one for emergency. Would not tell her to get rid of it if I could. Count like talking on phone. To my way of thinking the one in the house is for emergency. My kids and grand kids say I am a fossil and I tell them that I actually like being a fossil.

I was pretty sure I missed the exit for a store I was going to today. Tap -> and say "Google Navigate store name" and sure enough it had me get off at next exit and turn around. I don't have to look at it, just listen to the directions. Now in wife's car phone map comes up on screen built into car and voice comes over speakers.

In Tenn. I once did the same thing, having missed a turn onto a different 2 lane highway. Pulled over and looked at map. Thought it might make sense to continue, hit interstate and come at my destination from that route. Said "Google navigate address" and off I went through dell and holler, over cricks, along ridges, winding through woods, jogging from one side road to the next. Hit one divided roadway for 3 miles then off through the wilderness again on a paved snake track. Only when I finally got close to the city did I notice "Avoid Interstates" was checked as "on". Doubt it was faster route, don't think it was longer mileage, but man I swear I couldn't see more of the "real" Tennessee if I moved there for 5 years.

Text seemed sort of silly to me too. Why not call if you have something to say? It turns out it is good for sending one of those pictures taken with the phone. A link to a web page. Both are called "share" on my phone and allow me to go right from photo or web page to text message with the photo or link. I do find it nice for reminders or information that doesn't require an immediate response. Especially from dear wife when I'm at work. You know don't forget we have grandkids track meet this evening type stuff that I can get without the intrusion of a phone call.

I do hold the line at setting up work email on phone or forwarding work phone to MY cell phone. The supervisor or boss has my number as do crisis response documents and if it is important enough to reach me when I'm not at work it should come through one of those two routes. A very few of the people I work with have my number, I try to limit it to people I have a friendship with who won't text or call just to have me Google a problem for them so they don't have to look up the bloody answer themselves. LMGTFY is a real thing. Let Me Google That For You.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

my flip phone works just fine sitting on the counter 99percent of the time ive owned it.

Boolit Master

Another thing we have to put up with here in these mountains is getting a good signal. If you find a place with a strong signal, you better stop right in you tracks and make your call.

It has gotten better over the years, but it is still a problem here in WV.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    my flip phone works just fine sitting on the counter 99percent of the time ive owned it.
    ^^^This^^^
    R.D.M.

Banned

had to laugh. About the only time I take our is when I go to camp so I can call home or in case of an emergency. That said I don't get reception in camp and have to walk out into the small field in front of camp. Deer season that means walking out in the cold. So I get chewed up by the wife for only calling every 3 or 4 days. Even here in town my son in law who only has a cell phone calls me all the time and id bet 2 or 3 times a week looses service right in the middle of a call. Drives me nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Another thing we have to put up with here in these mountains is getting a good signal. If you find a place with a strong signal, you better stop right in you tracks and make your call.

It has gotten better over the years, but it is still a problem here in WV.

Boolit Grand Master

You would think they could eliminate the transmission delays and poor voice quality. Some are worse than Alexander G Bells first, being recorded on an Edison wax cylinder.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I liked my flip (never loved it), it would make and answer calls, send and receive texts, and take itty bitty pictures. If I got a call from anyone not in my address book, the delete key worked wonderfully.

As usual, my wife kept after me to get smart phone (she got a new flip and fights with it constantly). I did, and it makes and answers calls, sends and receives texts, and takes really good hi-quality pictures that I can blow up and send to my computer for file. If I get a call from anyone not in my address book, the delete key works. I tell the medicos / tradesmen they have to give me the actual phone number from which I will receive a call so I can put it in the phone for caller ID or I won't answer.

Greatest benefit so far is that while I'm waiting for my pizza, or med appt, or anything else that will be 5 min or longer, I can read Cast Boolits and other sites, and look up stuff on Google.

I used to be able to program my VCR........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123