RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 9mm Luger/380 ACP molds

Boolit Master

9mm Luger/380 ACP molds

I recently purchased reloading dies for my 380 ACP pistol, and I have been loading purchased cast lead projectiles in one of my 9mm Lugers. Now I am ready to purchase a mold and wanted to know if anyone has recommendations of a mold that will work for both of these and what kind of luck they have had using the same bullet for these? Are there any difficulties associated with loading the same bullet for both of these. I know there may be different sizing for each, so was just looking for a mold. I see in the new Lyman Cast Bullet Manual that they list 90 grain, 102 Grain and 120 Grain molds that run in both the 380 and 9mm.

Boolit Master

9mm and 380 should be the same diameter. A 100gr or 90 gr would be fine for both. There are a few 120 gr published loads for 380 acp also. Anything over 120g will make a low velocity and high pressure window the 380 ACP.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use Accurate 35-120H in .380 ACP, .38 Special and 9mm Parabellum.

Attachment 215894

2.5 grains of Bullseye in the .380 ACP in the Ruger LCP

4.0 grains of Bullseye in the 9mm in the Ruger LC9

4.5 grains of Bullseye in the .38 Special for standard pressure

5 grains of Bullseye in the .38 Special for +P
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 102 -2R & the Lee 120-TC for both calibers. I have also loaded the 124 -2R & 124-TC on occasion for both, IIRC.

Here is a Lee hand gun mold chart.. it might help ya as well:
    https://leeprecision.com/bullet-cast...-bullet-molds/

G'Luck in what ya decide to get.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I don't have a 9, but the Lee 95rf is a great little bullet that some run in 9. Drops about 97 grains for me, feeds well in most of my 380s. The 120 tc is a great bullet too, but 380 limits it to about 750 fps in my tcp and some 380 brass have a thicker ridge in the brass that swedges the bottom 1/3 of the bullet undersized.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I use the Lee 102 -2R & the Lee 120-TC for both calibers. I have also loaded the 124 -2R & 124-TC on occasion for both, IIRC.

Here is a Lee hand gun mold chart.. it might help ya as well:
    https://leeprecision.com/bullet-cast...-bullet-molds/

G'Luck in what ya decide to get.
    The 9mm I am working up loads for seems to have a hard time loading the flat-nosed or hollow pointed jacketed bullets as they try to go up the ramp. But the round nosed projectiles work really well. I purchased some round nosed 115 grain lead powder coated bullets that look like the LEE 102-2R that you have suggested or the LEE 125-2R that they show. The lighter 102 grain might have trouble working the rather heavy slide on my Norinco pistol though. But the Lee molds are cheap enough that maybe I will purchase the 356-102-2R and see what it will do in both and then purchase the 125 grain version if it doesn't. Thanks everybody for your info so far. I need to go out to the shop and clean out the new dies I bought for the 380 so I can try them out with the 115 grain purchased lead projectiles that I have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    The 9mm I am working up loads for seems to have a hard time loading the flat-nosed or hollow pointed jacketed bullets as they try to go up the ramp. But the round nosed projectiles work really well. I purchased some round nosed 115 grain lead powder coated bullets that look like the LEE 102-2R that you have suggested or the LEE 125-2R that they show. The lighter 102 grain might have trouble working the rather heavy slide on my Norinco pistol though. But the Lee molds are cheap enough that maybe I will purchase the 356-102-2R and see what it will do in both and then purchase the 125 grain version if it doesn't. Thanks everybody for your info so far. I need to go out to the shop and clean out the new dies I bought for the 380 so I can try them out with the 115 grain purchased lead projectiles that I have.
    If you PM me your address, I will send ya some of those different boolits for you to try. Only if ya want to though. I think all of mine that have lube rings are already pan lubed, so I could send ya some of them,, but the TL styles I can send unlubed, lubed as cast, or sized then lubed. As well as I can remove the pan lube on the ones that have it & let you lube them how ya like. Up to you.

I just did this for another member, Mr. Sheesh, & would have no trouble doing it again.

Let me know if ya want to try some. If not, that is fine too.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o