Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever used the Lyman tang sight?

Boolit Buddy
    I have both Lyman and Marble Arms peep sights that i use on my rifles where they are not drilled and tapped. My preference is for Skinner sights on my hunting rifles (all 94AE's) and a Williams with target knobs on my 38-55 Silhouette rifle.

I don't own any Marlins so my experiences may be different to others.

I have used tangs sights on Winchester 1873, 1992 and pre AE 94's.

The Marbles are reasonably good units and the windage adjustment is great to have but the 3 Marbles sights i have here all have square edges which bite the hand during recoil if you're not conscious of where you put your hand.

On the other hand, my Lyman sights are nicely rounded and don't bite my hand at all. On the model 94 at least, the post is further forward which makes for more room behind the sight to grip the rifle normally.
    The lack of windage adjustment makes zeroing a bit of a process but i would still choose the Lyman over the Marbles on the rifles that i have to use a tang sight on.

I recently tried the Skinner Barrel Mounted Peep on my 1873 and once i found the right combination of front sight and rear peep i am really liking how it works, so much so that i'll probably put the same sight on my 92.

I find the tang sights are in the way for me and problematic with the handling of the rifle. I have removed them from any shooter I use. Collector arms I don't mess with sights or anything else, they need to remain in original form.. The tang sight, for sight picture is about as good as it gets. But, I don't like the distraction with my grip. I go with Lyman receiver sights or a Lyman 21 long receiver side sight which is my personal choice. One more "but", the Lyman sight is pricey when you do find them.
    I found on the Buffalo Arms web site that they sell a reproduction of the Lyman model 21 by Providence Tool Co. LLC, cost about $150. I bought one for a Marlin 336 35Rem, the sight looks good, but it's not installed yet. They do not list the Marlin 1895, so I would call Buffalo or Providence Tool. I think the one that fits the Win 94 would fit the Marlin 1895.
    I used to collect Winchester takedowns and Hi Wall 1885 single shot rifles, lots came with tang sights, I just personal don't like tang sights.
    John

Also a tang sight on a rifle with heavier recoil is definitely problematic.
    John

Boolit Master

In one of Keith's books, he told a story of helping guide a fellow and his wife on a mountain hunt. Lady was using a lever gun with tang sight and took a high shot that brought the sight too close to her eye, which she lost upon firing.

That's what you're cautioning about, right, glaciers?

Nueces,
    No I was just refering to being able to grip the rifle properly. Your point is certianly another factor.
    John

Tangs no good for shooting moving game. I have them for several classic rifles but after getting one jammed under my eyebrow I'm done hunting with them.

Boolit Master
    I attended a gun show today and spoke with an older gentleman who was peddling sights for predominantly antique firearms. He had a Lyman tang sight from the 1890's in the original box. The installation instructions said (paraphrased) "it is advised to not install this sight on rifles with significant recoil as injury may occur". This salesman also spoke about the pros and cons of using a tang versus receiver mounted versus a traditional rear sight. The true advantage of any sounds like what is being said here - boils down to circumstance and personal ability. It was an hour well spent, and of course *sigh * he sold me another sight.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I switched a Marlin 1894 from scope to tang sight. Smith recommended a Marble sight over the Lyman . Marble is adjustable for both windage and elevation, Lyman is/was only adjustable for elevation. No regrets with the Marble.

Boolit Master

Well, I got one, got out my Handy Dandy fixem up tools, proceeded to center punch the top stock strap, then drill. I used two drills, one to start it with, and the other to fit the tap.
    The first drill went in centered, the second went in a few degrees to the left. When I tighten down the screw, the sight is off by a click. No way to do the clicking. I have no idea how to redrill the hole so it is centered, then I noticed the rear sights were installed tipped to the right, and the top strap holes were off to the right a tad. I am not going to use just the rear machine screw, with Locktite holding down the sight base also. The body of the sight is centered with the bolt.
    Soon the range, then I find out.

I have a Marble tang sight mounted on a Savage 1899 that's in 30/30 Win. I have the tang sighted for 200 yards and the regular "irons" POA at 100 yards. I took the aperture out for hunting and it didn't seem to effect my target "grouping". I like the increase in "sight radius" the tang provides; and I changed the front sight to a more visible bead for "pick up". When folded, the tang sight makes me change my normal hand hold, but it is a minor annoyance; and it looks good on that rifle.

Boolit Bub
    I agree, one of my lever guns, a Winchester 1894 ELW takedown rifle came with a Lyman 21 sight. It is without a doubt the best iron sight there is for a lever gun. It's out of the way and doesn't spoil the function of the gun, nor its ascetics. It also has a choice between a large and a small arpeture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PdSGu47.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	216538

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12