RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1895 CB or Winchester 1886 Short Rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I had the chance to handle both the Marlin and the Winchester at stores here in town.

The Winchester impressed me overall as the nicer rifle and for $500 more it should be a nicer rifle.

But the tang safety is a deal breaker for me. I was thinking that in the future I may want to add a tang sight so I would be stuck.
    Not necessarily - IIRC, Marbles makes a tang sight base which allows installation with the tang safety, or the lawyer safety can be removed & covered by a normal tang sight base.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I've recently bought a marlin slb 45-70 ,checked it over as I'd heard all the negatives .fit and finish good shoots well and being able to use a scope made the choice easy .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Not necessarily - IIRC, Marbles makes a tang sight base which allows installation with the tang safety, or the lawyer safety can be removed & covered by a normal tang sight base.

Excellent info, thank you! That definitely keeps my options open.

Steve

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I had the chance to handle both the Marlin and the Winchester at stores here in town.

The Winchester impressed me overall as the nicer rifle and for $500 more it should be a nicer rifle.

But the tang safety is a deal breaker for me. I was thinking that in the future I may want to add a tang sight so I would be stuck.
    Take a serious look at the Pedersoli - much closer to the original than the new lawyer version from Winchester - which when we get right down to it is made offshore in someone elses factory anyway -- your money goes to japan or it goes to italy - whats the difference?

The Uberti 1886 is gorgeous and expensive, too. That lightweight model is sweet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Pedersoli should be able to scratch just about any 1886 itch: https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/gun...es/rifles.html

You've got the full-length rifles, as well as a couple 71-inspired carbine variants, and not a single thumb safety to be found among them.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I have a JM Marlin 1895 CB. Its a decent rifle. At the time I looked hard at the 1886 and handled one at the local gun store but it was a tremendous price differential so I purchased the Marlin. I retrospect if I had to do it again I would go with the 1886. I have looked at a few of the new Remington 1895CB at the gun shows. I wouldn't have paid $250 for the ones I looked at, the octagon barrels looked horrible and I didn't especially care for the finish on the stocks.

Banned
    Okay friends, I made my decision. After a couple guys suggested I look at Pedersoli I spent some time looking at their webpage. And their rifles are indeed beautiful.

I like the 1886. I can't seem to find one in stock. I was following a couple of Marlin 1895's on Gunbroker but when they sold they were both near $1000 (JM's)

So I made a quick direction change and put a deposit on a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Sporting Rifle. It comes with a rear ladder sight and also a tang mounted sight.

I can't wait. I guess I will have to start asking questions in the Single Shot Rifle forum.

Thanks again for all of your input. It was very helpful.

Steve in N CA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12