Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Star lube sizer and loverin bullets

Boolit Man

Star lube sizer and loverin bullets

Do any of y'all size loverin type bullets in a star sizer? Im using 311466 bullets in a standard lathesmith (.311)die with 3 hole pattern. Obviously I'm not gonna get all the grooves filled, but not getting the same ones filled consistently is making me wonder if this combo is gonna work.
    No I do not have air feed, the bullets cast at .312 and have been dry sized (.311) with gascheck seated prior to heat treat. I Let dry for a week.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have done it, but I ran em all through, then changed the depth on the punch and ran em all though again. Most of the time, I use one of my Lymans that I have kept just for rifles, to do the Loverins. I didn't have problems with the Star filling different rings though. You might have to run em through 3 times. It'll take more time, but it won't hurt anything.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    drill more holes staggered between existing rows ,, use small center drill almost through then dia u want ,, .130" or so works ,,,

Boolit Master
    I just received two dies from Chris (Lathesmith) that he drilled for my Loverin/Ranchdog style boolits. 5 rows of holes spaced .06" apart. Great to be able to fill the lube grooves with just one pass! And he didn't charge any extra for the additional holes.

And if your die is hardened you'd better have something better than the standard drill bit to punch a hole through it -- I busted several bits before I just have up and ordered dies with more holes.

Moderator Emeritus

Obviously I'm not gonna get all the grooves filled, but not getting the same ones filled consistently is making me wonder if this combo is gonna work.
    I'm wondering why you won't be getting the same ones filled consistently?

But, be that as it may, the real answer (before you order a custom die), is to give them a try just as they come out (consistent or not...it may not matter?).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    I was trying to get most grooves filled in one pass. I was able to get all but the first 2, except for when the 3rd did not fill completely. I must have been trying to get too much with one pass

Boolit Man
    Yes. I may have to do some measuring and marking then use my mill to make more/new holes, I can always plug later with shot when I'm on a different bullet. Earlmck, I appreciate you sharing the measurements. I will make a template out of thin clear plastic, see how everything linesup