Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Marlin mod 1917

Boolit Master

Marlin mod 1917

Ive run across a marlin 17 action I would like to restore/build upon. It's missing everything in front of the action except for the rod that works the action.
    Numrich has everything except the barrel and magazine tube.
    Barrel and mag tube thread into the action.

Assuming I can't find the parts I plan on looking for a 12 ga ( blank ) and fitting a mag tube from something.

Any ideas guys?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

"Note: Marlin has declared this and other slide action Marlin hammer shotguns unsafe to fire due to lock up and design problems."

Given the statement from the horse's mouth, I would be loathe to restore, much less shoot, one - after all, that action is well over 100 years old.

In excellent original condition (i.e., not restored), though - they are of interest to Marlin collectors.

I'm sure that folks will be heard from that swear that their old Marlin pumpguns have been safe & reliable, but all I can say to that is "Vaya 'con Dios".

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I'm talking out my butt since I don't really know but Ive read the earlier models were what Marlin was referring to. They could fire out of battery if if everything went wrong. The 17 supposedly had that fixed. The hammer couldn't drop until the gun was in battery.

Many people will say any gun that can slam fire is unsafe. If you don't know what your doing they certainly are dangerous.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Numrich isn't the only outfit that sells gun parts.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post

I'm talking out my butt since I don't really know but Ive read the earlier models were what Marlin was referring to.

They could fire out of battery if if everything went wrong.

The 17 supposedly had that fixed. The hammer couldn't drop until the gun was in battery.

The only difference between the original Model 1898 and the Model 16 (PG stock) & 17 (straight grip stock) was to offer additional chambering (like 16ga).

The factory upgrades (internal safety features) didn't come until after the introduction of the Model 19 in 1906, in the Model 19G, 19N & 19S

During 1998, Marlin issued a service bulletin recommending that "slide action exposed hammer Models 1898, 16, 17, 19. 19S, 19G. 19N, 21,24, 26, 30, 42, 49 and 49N, in addition to hammerless Models 28,31, 43, 44, 53 and 63 should not be fired as many of these guns are 70 to 100 years old and system failures can and do happen."

You can do as you wish, and as earlier, I wish you Vaya 'con Dios.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride