RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: P-14 pic heavy

Boolit Buddy

P-14 pic heavy

Picked up a p-14 this weekend and started cleaning it up today. Wasn't expecting to find cosmoline inside everything but maybe hoping it's a good sign. I like cleaning stuff up anyway always makes it feel more like my gun. Only thing I've found missing is the stacking swivel and screw. Now I'll have to figure out year and get her ready to shoot. I know what the cosmoline looks like but what's the brown gold looking stuff. What I cleaned off has some nice blueing under it. What would be the best way to clean it off...I usedAttachment 215810Attachment 215818Attachment 215817Attachment 215816Attachment 215815Attachment 215814Attachment 215813Attachment 215812Attachment 215811Attachment 215819 some eds red and steel wool to get off what I've removed. The part where it's removed and blueing gone where writing is I didn't do so thinking maybe it was done to mark what rifle is.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Super Moderator

The part where the bluing was removed and stamped is an import mark. As to cleaning, if it was mine I'd use white gas, outside and away from the house! Plenty of rags and some elbow grease right there.

Boolit Master
    The piling swivel was eliminated early on.....ERA,made late 1916?....looks like a WW2 rebuild with a new stock...By the import date,its probably come from UK direct,maybe ex home guard?...The most recent imports are Indian,many DP d by drilling ,but unfired,tho knocked about in transport..

Next thing you need is a Parker Hale 5B range sight to make it into a 'real' shooter

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Gasoline and a parts brush outdoors or take it to the car wash. Don't laugh, it works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I mostly use wd-40/tooth brush for cleaning, seems to cut the cosmoline well. I also let them set out in the sun and get warm before I clean on old milsurps. Then be sure lubricate with something proper.

Boolit Man

The importer mark: C A I St A VT USA, is Century Arms International,St. Albans, VT. They may still have info on when it came back to the states. Dave

Boolit Master
    The brown/gold stuff is actually a type of paint used to coat the metal and prevent rust. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Congrads on your new rifle. The rifle was build in 1916 by the date stamped on the barrel and made at the Remington Arms facility located in Eddystone, PA. Just south of Philadelphia. The rifle from the lack of the volley sights on the stock and piling (stacking) swivel would indicate the rifle went through the Weedon repair facility early in 1940's The stock is made in England of English walnut. The originals were made of American Black Walnut. There were two different models of the P14, the MKI and MKI*. Does your rifle have a 2 and or a * on the top of receiver ring? And is there a MKII stamped on the buttstock?

Enjoy your rifle.

--fjruple

Boolit Buddy
    Couldn't find a 2 * or anything on the stock.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Master

Once you get the preservetive off use oil and a copper penny to rub the rust off, works most of the time and won't ruin the blueing as much, the penny being harder than the rust and softer than the steel. I have one of the Caribbean drill rifles that came in years ago. Beat to a bloody pulp, the stock seeps oil in any heat but has a mint bore. Other than the original markings it has not been marked DP or for export or out of service.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

In Remembrance

Probably 30 +/- years back I came into 2 of the drilled DP rifles from India. I completely tore each down to the barreled action. I have had them rebarreled to .303 again and am actually still using the wood I tore off them so many years back. Try wrapping the rifle or parts in an old bed sheet and leave it out in the sun for a day. The heat will let the cosmoline soften and the old sheet will absorb it. Good luck on your project.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethemgo View Post
    Couldn't find a 2 * or anything on the stock.
    I am guessing that your ERA is an early one since it is probably a MKI and not the later ERA. The ERA version also had two versions of the magazine box as well. Later rifle had a number "2" stamped on the magazine box and follower and top of the receiver. The earlier 1st version was not marked. Needless to say the parts are not interchangeable. The "2" follower is too big to fit in the earlier version. If the serial numbers match on all of your parts, barrel, receiver, bolt, and rear sight. The rifle could be of some value as the ERA folks changed over to the MKI* rather early and not to many complete MKI are around.

Boolit Master
    I am a little envious but enjoy a great find!
    Look twice, shoot once.